You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad beats

edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
The down side to poker...Let off some steam, Get it off your chest.  This is the ideal place to share all those bad beat stories we know you have!

Comments

• edited May 2009
    One I'll remember for a while, I've got pocket tens, I raise it up, I get one caller.

Flop: TKA.

My opponent bets out, I raise it, it's a possible straightening board so don't want him to have the right price to hit a straight and also know if he has QJ, I still have outs. He goes all in, I call. He turns KQ. Second pair and a gut-shot.

Turn is an Ace. I'm thinking great, there's his straight away.

River is another Ace. He has Aces over Kings, I now only have Aces over Tens.

It was a sore one.
  • edited May 2009
    In Response to Re: Bad beats:
    One I'll remember for a while, I've got pocket tens, I raise it up, I get one caller. Flop: TKA. My opponent bets out, I raise it, it's a possible straightening board so don't want him to have the right price to hit a straight and also know if he has QJ, I still have outs. He goes all in, I call. He turns KQ. Second pair and a gut-shot. Turn is an Ace. I'm thinking great, there's his straight away. River is another Ace. He has Aces over Kings, I now only have Aces over Tens. It was a sore one.
    Posted by Kevilfish

Ouch!
  • edited June 2009
    just went out 4th on double your money, I had big slick (AK) go all in he has K2 and calls me???? flop turns up nothing, turn, again nothing, river its a 2!!! Hate it when that happens specially when it means im 4th on a double your money :-(
  • edited June 2009

Moggers. If you have A-K, & MateyBoy has K-2, you WANT him to Call. Every time.

You are 76% to win, he is 24%. At those odds, you'd take it every single time. And make a fortune over time.

But 3/1 dogs to win 1 time in 4. Accept those odds with glee! It's as good as it gets in poker, those odds are monsta big.

Truse me, you WANT folks to make bad calls on you, all day long. Just take the rough with the smooth, the smooth is long-term profitability, interrupted by occasional short-term losses.
  • edited June 2009
    All in the space of 90 minutes:

AJ Vs A3 - All in pre flop, I hit my jack, he hits runner runner 3's

8-10 Vs J-5 - Blind V Blind, I hit my 8 & shove for 1100 (blinds 50/100 & villain has been a luckbox of the highest order!), he calls, jack on the river

99 Vs J8 - All in pre flop, I flop my set, he hits runner runner straight
  • edited June 2009

Had a similar situation to moggers some months ago on a sit & go but a worse bad beat:

Dealt A K and raised 5 times big blind with one caller

Flop comes out A 4 A so I'm looking good with 3 of a kind Aces with King kicker so raise 2 x pot, the other guy calls so I'm thinking he may have the other Ace and possibly a four to go with it.

Turn card comes down its a King I now have full house Aces over Kings and as have slightly the smaller stack I raise a larger than pot size bet, again he calls

River card comes down and its a 4, now pot committed I chuck in the rest of my chips feeling very happy with my self especially when he calls only to find out the other guy had been holding on to a pair of 4's and now has 4 of a kind.

Gutted is far to mild a word for what I felt.

This all happen before there was this forum and glad to know I only did what Tikay advised moggers should have done but even then you can still be beaten.

Glad for the forum guys as its great to get those bad beats of your chest and move on with the next hand.

• edited June 2009
    Had a similar situation to moggers some months ago on a sit & go but a worse bad beat: Dealt A K and raised 5 times big blind with one caller Flop comes out A 4 A so I'm looking good with 3 of a kind Aces with King kicker so raise 2 x pot, the other guy calls so I'm thinking he may have the other Ace and possibly a four to go with it. Turn card comes down its a King I now have full house Aces over Kings and as have slightly the smaller stack I raise a larger than pot size bet, again he calls River card comes down and its a 4, now pot committed I chuck in the rest of my chips feeling very happy with my self especially when he calls only to find out the other guy had been holding on to a pair of 4's and now has 4 of a kind. Gutted is far to mild a word for what I felt. This all happen before there was this forum and glad to know I only did what Tikay advised moggers should have done but even then you can still be beaten. Glad for the forum guys as its great to get those bad beats of your chest and move on with the next hand.
    Posted by Fella666
    Nice Post Fella666.

Actually, you might not like this, but......

It was not, technically, a Bad-Beat. A bad Beat is when you go in a long way ahead, & get sucked out. A-A v 7-2, or K-K v A-2, for example.

In your case, you went in "behind" - you had A high, Matey Boy had a pair. That's roughly an even money shot, so it's just a coin-flip.

Your hand is what is known as a "cooler", or a "cold-deck". That's when the Cards conspire to mean you have a monster, (as you did, on the Flop & Turn,) & cannot possibly fold, but the Poker Gods are just teasing, & you end up losing. And that Cooler you had was an absolute MONSTA, because it's quite impossible to get off your holding.

Very unlucky indeed, I agree.

No-Limit Poker, a game that is, in turns, both beautiful & brutal, eh?

Enjoyed your Post, mate.
  • edited June 2009
    Actually, you might not like this, but...... It was not, technically, a Bad-Beat. A bad Beat is when you go in a long way ahead, & get sucked out. A-A v 7-2, or K-K v A-2, for example. In your case, you went in "behind" - you had A high, Matey Boy had a pair. That's roughly an even money shot, so it's just a coin-flip. Your hand is what is known as a "cooler", or a "cold-deck". Posted by Tikay10
    I'd like to argue that he didn't get it in behind with A high vs the pair, because they weren't all-in pre-flop. I would instead propose that he got ALL of his money in with the worst hand on the river. A similar example from the second hand of a DYM S'N'G I played yesterday:

I raised with AA on the button, the SB called, the BB re-raised. I have notes on him for open raising with a super-huge range so I thought with position I can easily get a c-bet out of him on the flop and then I can jam it. So I just flat-called, as did the SB.

The flop was 8,7,2 rainbow. SB checked, the BB pushed all in (he had 1600 and the pot was ~1300), I insta-called, as did the SB. The BB had JJ, I of course had AA, but the SB had 88 for top set. The turn was a J giving the BB a set and he knocked us both out.

So in my case I can't say that I was bad-beated because I got all of my chips in behind (despite having the best hand pre-flop, of course), but the man with 88 could say he was bad-beated because he got his money in as a gross favourite.

I will agree with Tikay in that fella's hand - just like my example above - was a cooler.
  • edited June 2009
    I think i've had one of the worst beats ever, 4 left in a double your money sit and go, i have pocket 9's in the small blind, i raise 3x which is half my stack. Big stack in the big blind calls me. Flop comes 2 4 5 rainbow i push all in, he snap calls and turns over 3 6 off.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Is what i said i believe. Most painful beat i've ever taken.
  • edited June 2009
    I still have nightmares about this one. More of a cold deck than a bad beat, but I'll post it anyway.

I have AsKs on the button and raise it up. BB calls.

Flop comes Qs Js 5s

BB goes all-in, of course I call (or there wouldn't be much of a story!)
    BB flips over 6s7s

Turn 4s

River 8s
  • edited June 2009
    More of a cold deck than a bad beat. Posted by BigBluster

Quite the opposite, sir, this has to be the worst beat ever heard of?? He had to hit runner-runner, but they had to be PERFECT runners. He must have been <1% to win the pot when the money went in. I would be stunned if anyone can post a bad beat that tops that. All I can really say is "ul"!
  • edited June 2009
    O dear... dont think you should of started a topic called this!!! how long have you got?? well had one last night player calls 2nd position (10 seater table blinds 150/300) folds to me i have KK i raise to 1200 folds to caller who calls, flop JQ4 (2 hearts) he goes all in for 2100 i call he turns over the monster that is 8,3 hearts... hits flush on turn and doesnt even give me the pleasure of 4 flushing him with my K hearts!!!!!
  • edited June 2009
    Don't think that just because you have a new home for bad beats we don't still want them for The Club! :)

M
  • edited June 2009
    Don't think that just because you have a new home for bad beats we don't still want them for The Club! :) M
    Posted by MBroughton
     Gotta start sending stuff back into you guys... never remember, think last thing i sent was me folding KK pre ;-)
  • edited June 2009

I need to share my pain. Playing a double money and have jack ten of diamonds.  The flop comes down all diamonds with the ace at the end. I'm short and need to double up, all in. He called with King 5 and he has two fives. Yup, you guessed it running 5s to give him quads.  Out I go in fourth place.

boo hoo

Ross

• edited June 2009
    thing is every single 1 of us geta bad beats and you always remember them especially the really bad ones but how long do you remember the beats you give other players cause it happens
  • edited June 2009
    Had this one playing live.

I limp in on the button with 5 & 6 H after everyone folds. SB min raises, BB calls. (I know, I should have raised or folded, but this was only the second level, and I thought, look at the flop.)
    Flop comes down 7, 8, 9 H. I thought it was my birthday. SB checks, BB bets half the pot, I call, SB calls.
    Turn is 9D. SB bets the pot, BB raises, I call, SB calls.
    River is 8S. SB checks, BB goes all in. I metaphorically rub my hands and go all in. (We are all close in chips, SB is leader by about 300). SB goes all in.
     Me Straight Flush
    BB AK Hearts for nut flush.
    SB...............yep, TJ hearts.

Given that's only my third straight flush in about 3 years of playing, I was somewhat disappointed.
  • edited June 2009
    In a vegas qualifier, I get dealt J-K, everyone flat call to me, so I raise 3x and I get one taker. The flop comes down J-8-K - one spade.

I push. Get called by 6-3 of spade, and you've guessed it, runner runner spades.

Oh the joys, lol.
  • edited June 2009
    i just went out on the bubble from chip leader with 3 bad beats in a row!
    1:i get a shortie all-in with KQ vs his Q7,he hits trips.
    2:same guy,my aces vs his AJ and guess what,he hits trips.
    3:now i am short,top pair on the flop all-in,same guy calls with a gutshot and...well you can guess what the river brought.

this after a bad beat exit in the 500 last night near the bubble.i'm losing faith in this poker lark.
  • edited June 2009
    OMG!!!

Primo sat.

Blinds at 50/100 in the BB with AQo & a complete & utter maniac at the table. He's been calling raises & 3-betting with marginal hands & shoving almost EVERY flop. I'm down to 1600 chips & blinds are about to increase within the next 60 seconds.

3 limpers so I decided to shove figuring that there's a great chance I'm ahead here. Maniac also shoves to isolate & the other 2 fold. Cards flip & he shows Q4 diamonds. Seriously, what was he thinking?!?!?!

Now, had he hit his 4 I could've just about dealt with that but..................................................

runner, runner, runner, runner straight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, every cloud has a silver lining & I'll certainly be looking him up again to take loads of money from him.
  • edited June 2009
    playing on a 25/50 cash table a while back im sitting there with a round about £80 which id built up from from £25...i get dealt pocket 10's i raise up from the button 3 times and get called from the big blind who was sittin there with a pair of dueces ... flop comes down A 10 6. the guys goes all in (he had about £60-70) obviously tryin to bluff me off i instantly call happy with my set and even happier when i see he only got dueces....what happens next? TURN 2 RIVER 2! he hits 4 of a kind! gutted! probably my worst bad beat to date!
  • edited June 2009
    Playing a Bounty Hunter last night. Super aggressive guy pushes all in pre-flop - I call with pocket ladies. He has 8 4 os. Flop = Q 5 7, turn = 6, river = 3. Hat and coat for Fordy. Fook.
  • edited June 2009
    well tonight was a bit short stacked in one of the multi tables, bit of history in the build up to my bad beat, shoved previously vs the big stack with A J called by 7 4, I won that one.

2nd time i had A J again, big stack again called me with nothing he had Q 2, Q hits on flop thats my tourney over.

thing that annoyed me was blinds were 150/300 and it cost the Q 2 an extra 2k to call. They had 28k so nothing expensive to them but still..
  • edited June 2009
    Two minutes ago in the £20 freeroll. I'm short stacked, so shove all in with AQos. Get looked up by, wait for it....7 5 os. I thought it was bad enough when the flop came down as 5 7 5 for the house. I was exceptionally thrilled to see the final 5 in the deck come down on the river for quad 5's!!!
  • BawBaw
    edited June 2009
    Sitting in 2nd, 4 left in a mtt bounty hunter, get kk in the BB. shortstack goes allin under the gun for about 8k, chip leader raises to 16k to isolate him, i raise allin to 25k. Leader calls with 9 of clubs 3 of spades! I hit trip kings on the flop, but lose to 4 clubs, lol. I love this game.
  • edited June 2009

Was dealt pocket 10's.  raised 3 times blind, called twice.  Flop comes down 10 Q Q - I put in a large bet 1 folds one calls.  turn comes down 9 he raises I re-raise all in he calls with a Q.  Im ahead with the full house till the 4th Q arrives on the river!!!!!

That halved my stack in the tournament.  The hand that got me out:- I had AJ and have hardly any chips so push all in.  1 call he has AK.  flop 7 Q J - Im getting quite hopeful I might double up then K on turn and another K on river!!!

Obviously wasnt my tournament!!!!!

• edited June 2009
    DYM, first level had AA raise before so i 'min' raise, person behind raises, fold, fold, call, i shove, guy behind me folds, other guy calls.

he turns over J 10 suited.

flop comes K Q 4
    turn 7
    river 9

unbelievable call considering it was level 1

checked the villains stats and found out his total loss is around £250, by his call there im not suprised.

Came 2nd in the 1k bounty hunter so this bad beat hasnt dampened my spirits for today just amazes me what some people call with.
  • edited June 2009
    I think it should be made a rule in this thread that whenever someone posts a bad beat (particularly if it was a suspect call eg. NColley's above) then they should post the Alias of the player that committed the crime so we can all make a note of them and rob them of their money!!! :)
  • edited June 2009
    Just had 2,2 in big blind. All fold to small blind who limps. I raise 4 x big blind, he calls. Flop 4,6,10. He checks, I bet 6 x BB. He raises, I call. Fourth street, yey 2. He bets big, I'm all in. He reveals 5,3. This always happens to me. I think I'm doing the right thing. I know I can play poker. But I ALWAYS seem to come up against idiots. I used to think sky poker was fixed against me. I've been told otherwise, but I'm still not sure. I would rather play against pro's. They would respect proper raises etc. I know it was only £2 to enter, but some people just don't care. I wont be playing online again for a long time. Its live game's in my club for me. Sorry Sky Poker.
    Steve.
  • edited June 2009
    hi there! this mega beat was the main reason why i joined this site (and had to buy a new laptop in the process)

was playing at a $1/$2 on bluesq (was waiting on a tourney starting) with $120 in front of me, 6 seater and im on BB with 9h9c in my hand

villain raises to $7, folded to sb who calls, and i also call.
    flop comes A9s9d!!!

sb and me both check, villain pot bets ($21) sb and me both call
    turn Ks

sb goes all in and me and villain call

sb shows KdKh (kings full)
    i show 9h9c (quad 9's)
    villain shows AdAc (aces full)

river card!!!!! u guessed it the case A!!!!!!

what a horrible beat, yeah i was behind preflop, and the  flop did treat me kind, the turn even kinder, but the last ace on the river!! thats like a 2% chancer (well 4% if you include the last king which also could havve beat me)

ive had rotten luck since, hopefully that will change here!!!

cheers for reading it lads and lasses, and i look forward to meetin u all at the tables

KINGKYTE