You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New to Sky Poker

edited February 2013 in Poker Chat
Hello everyone, I am new to sky poker, I have been playing poker since august last year and i thought i would give online poker a try. I play live poker 4 nights a week in my local pubs in the Nuts Poker League if anyone has heard of that? Anyway I was just wondering where i should start playing with a bankroll of £55? I prefer cash games to tournaments, but if anyone knows any good tournaments to play in please let me know as well, thanks.

Sorry, I had no idea where to post this so I decided here will do haha.

Comments

• edited February 2013
    In Response to New to Sky Poker:
    Hello everyone, I am new to sky poker, I have been playing poker since august last year and i thought i would give online poker a try. I play live poker 4 nights a week in my local pubs in the Nuts Poker League if anyone has heard of that? Anyway I was just wondering where i should start playing with a bankroll of £55? I prefer cash games to tournaments, but if anyone knows any good tournaments to play in please let me know as well, thanks. Sorry, I had no idea where to post this so I decided here will do haha.
    Posted by skeg_poker
    hi skeg and welcome to sky im sure u will enjoy it here :)

the general rule of thumb is only put 10% of your bankroll in play at once, so the max tourneys u shud play are 5.50 but may be better to start off going with some 2/3 quid bounty hunters, the way they work is half the prizepool is for usual cash spots but half is as bounties so when u knock a player out u collect 75% of the bounty and cant lose that (the remaining 25% goes on your head to increase your bounty prize for others), so often u can KO 2 or 3 players and win your buy in back without making the usual cash places.

As for cash tables with that bankroll im not so sure as im a mtt guy
  • edited February 2013
    also not sure if u have yet or not but be sure to watch the sky poker channel, if u dont have it on ur sky package u can watch in a browser from the homepage, great hand analysis and banter and really improves your game, live shows are sunday/tuesday/thursdays from 7pm-midnight
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks janana, i might give a bounty hunter a try, sounds alright. I've been playing on the 0.02/0.04p tables for an hour or so, i am up £3 so that's not too bad haha. It is a little bit different than what I am used to though, with lots of people just limping in pre flop, and calling with rags. How do you deal with this? Do we just play premium hands on these tables, stay patient?
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: New to Sky Poker:
    In Response to New to Sky Poker : hi skeg and welcome to sky im sure u will enjoy it here :) the general rule of thumb is only put 10% of your bankroll in play at once, so the max tourneys u shud play are 5.50 but may be better to start off going with some 2/3 quid bounty hunters, the way they work is half the prizepool is for usual cash spots but half is as bounties so when u knock a player out u collect 75% of the bounty and cant lose that (the remaining 25% goes on your head to increase your bounty prize for others), so often u can KO 2 or 3 players and win your buy in back without making the usual cash places. As for cash tables with that bankroll im not so sure as im a mtt guy
    Posted by Janana
    10% of your BR at the table at any 1 time is generally wrong.
    You should have 25 buy ins for cash and maybe 40 buy ins for tournaments IMO 

• edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: New to Sky Poker : 10% of your BR at the table at any 1 time is generally wrong. You should have 25 buy ins for cash and maybe 40 buy ins for tournaments IMO 
    Posted by macapaca
    So 25 buy ins for the lowest limit tables is £100 minimum you are saying? That is a lot of money, i can only afford to put £60 max at the moment haha.
  • edited February 2013
    Just play to have fun easiest thing to do.

I actually used to sub-francise the nuts poker league in my area lol. :) 
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: New to Sky Poker : So 25 buy ins for the lowest limit tables is £100 minimum you are saying? That is a lot of money, i can only afford to put £60 max at the moment haha.
    Posted by skeg_poker
    Yes, I'm saying to play cash properly you need AT LEAST 25 buy ins so 4nl you have 25 buy ins so should have at least £100 on your bankroll.
    Mtts you should have 40 buy ins, however, every1 has different BR rules, so you just do as you wish sir.
    Run good and crush the tables!!!
    Hope to see you at the tables soon!!!
  • edited February 2013
    hi welcome to sky 

yeah think they said years ago 10% was fine but think a lot more people prefer having between 20-30 buyins for cash and 50 buyins for mtts but every1 is different.

also regarding the cash tables at 4nl just play solid abc poker remember the rule big hand-big pot, small hand-small pot so basically just bet when you have a hand don`t slowplay your big hands also rarely bluff at these levels lot of players won`t fold any draw or any pair so stick to tight aggressive poker and you will be fine.

if you have any questions relating hands just post on the forum you will get good advice from some good players. 
  • edited February 2013
    Just play to have fun easiest thing to do. I actually used to sub-francise the nuts poker league in my area lol. :) 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Yes true, having fun is the main thing haha. And did you? Whereabouts? I play in the south lincolnshire league lol.

And thanks Liam, I will remember that.

• edited February 2013
    also not sure if u have yet or not but be sure to watch the sky poker channel, if u dont have it on ur sky package u can watch in a browser from the homepage, great hand analysis and banter and really improves your game, live shows are sunday/tuesday/thursdays from 7pm-midnight
    Posted by Janana
    I didn't have sky poker channel on my channel list but its free and you can add it on manually. You go to options menu and then add channels. Google for the frequency settings etc and then it appears in the other channels menu within the options screen. It doesn't appear in your normal channel list and you can't rewind or record it but its an alternative to watching online. If anyone needs more help with adding it manually let me know
  • edited February 2013
    welcome.

if you want to play some tourneys check out the monday DTD tourneys. theres a thread at the top of this section. they are cheap and deep so theres some play in them. failing that theres the bounty hunter route

cash then you have an ok amount to delve into nl4. i assume rightly or wrongly that you wont be multi tabling much if your new to online so you have plenty to play this level without to much risk. just remember the more tables you play at a time the more buyins for the level its best to have behind you. eg if your playing 4 tables then i would have no less than 20 buyins for the level, 6 tables i would be looking for around 25-30 thats just me. others will take a more aggressive route with their bankroll others a more passive but you will work out what suits you over time 
  • edited February 2013
    In terms of BRM it is always dependant on your willingness to deposit more funds if you go broke.

In your shoes I'd probably start with £2 tourneys. 20 buy in's is not ideal bankroll management but the fields are extremely soft with lots of reckless play. 

The 8.05pm £2.30 Bounty Hunter is a must play for any micro-stakes tournament player on here.

• edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: New to Sky Poker : Yes true, having fun is the main thing haha. And did you? Whereabouts? I play in the south lincolnshire league lol. And thanks Liam, I will remember that.
    Posted by skeg_poker
    Scottish Borders mate. I bought 50% of the area off the lad who owned the full South of Scotland. 50% commission just isn't enough though and i sold it on. 
  • edited February 2013
    I'd steer clear of Bounty Hunters if I was a new player to be honest.

The Monday Night DTD's are good, but the field is much stronger than your average £1/£2 tournament.
  • edited February 2013
    I'd steer clear of Bounty Hunters if I was a new player to be honest. The Monday Night DTD's are good, but the field is much stronger than your average £1/£2 tournament.
    Posted by FCHD
    bit hard to stay clear of bounty hunter's when that's all u see in the lobby.
  • edited February 2013
    Played for a few hours today, profit of £9, so not bad for my first time haha. Had a couple of bad beats along the way as well, but i bounced back :P
  • edited February 2013
    Well the good times didn't last long! haha. Lost £7 in 2 hands out of 3, first my aces get cracked by some idiot calling my raise with J9o and rivering the straight and then i flop top pair and a flush draw, turn the flush and get beat by a bigger flush :( still though, i had fun £2 up that is still a free pint i suppose haha ;)
  • edited February 2013

Welcome aboard Skeggy, enjoy yourself, & don't be taking it too serious.
  • edited February 2013
    what tk said just have fun and you will be fine and good luck
  • edited February 2013
    welcome to the community and Sky as has been said have fun and enjoy it, if you're up to multi-tabling check out the forum DTD thread at the top of the page, you'll get to meet a load of the forum regs there, and there's always a load of banter too 
    :)

Good Luck at the tables