You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Could I Avoid Losing 95% of my stack with this hand.....

DKODKO
edited February 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hi All

Normally I post my questions to ask tikay but it seems like this forum does not exsist anymore...

I was playing in tournament  last night blinds 300/600... I had 20,000 chips at that stag of the tournament obviously 6 handed. 3 people limped in and small blind made up the difference. I checked the big blind (set Minding) on the flop come 8d 5c 2s... I checked the flop due to knowing the players in the hand were aggresive... 1st to act raised pot 2400 the other 3 people folded, I called to carry on the diseption... Turn card was Qd so I checked and he raised 5000 so i called again... On river was Kd and he shuffed all in so I had to call knowing the flush draw was out... He turned over J9 diamonds and hit the flush on the river with runner runner.... I know this is very unlucky however this is not the 1st time this has happened to me... How do I get max value without playing it the way I did and letting the aggresive players try and bluff me to then have variance reward agrresive play?????

Please can you let me no your constructional thoughts?

Thanks DKO

Comments

• edited February 2013
    check shove the turn imo

fwiw, if you asked tikay, he would probably just say bet your hand and keep betting it...

• DKODKO
    edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Could I Avoid Losing 95% of my stack with this hand.....:
    check shove the turn imo fwiw, if you asked tikay, he would probably just say bet your hand and keep betting it...
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    If I check shuff the turn he sould of called anyway as he had flush draw and gut shot straight draw??? I'm starting to think sometimes I should push all in on the flop what you think????
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Could I Avoid Losing 95% of my stack with this hand..... : If I check shuff the turn he sould of called anyway as he had flush draw and gut shot straight draw??? I'm starting to think sometimes I should push all in on the flop what you think????
    Posted by DKO
    You are trying to prevent them get their money in bad? This is the incorrect way of thinking. 

You WANT him to call the turn with a gutshot and a flushdraw. If he gets there, thats poker.. but you have done your job right as you have got your money in as a big favourite.

If you shove the flop thats terrible because you are not maximizing the value of your hand.

• DKODKO
    edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Could I Avoid Losing 95% of my stack with this hand..... : You are trying to prevent them get their money in bad? This is the incorrect way of thinking.  You WANT him to call the turn with a gutshot and a flushdraw. If he gets there, thats poker.. but you have done your job right as you have got your money in as a big favourite. If you shove the flop thats terrible because you are not maximizing the value of your hand.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    So your saying even though he would of called I would of got my money in good like I did anyway but slow playing as he pushed all in on the turn and I called isnt that the same thing, if he didnt push I was going too.. So really I did play the hand correct???
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Could I Avoid Losing 95% of my stack with this hand..... : So your saying even though he would of called I would of got my money in good like I did anyway but slow playing as he pushed all in on the turn and I called isnt that the same thing, if he didnt push I was going too.. So really I did play the hand correct???
    Posted by DKO
    Always better to get it in first on a drawy board. Put the pressure on your opponant. 

Sounds like you played it ok tho, its hard to see without the exact action/chipstacks etc
  • DKODKO
    edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Could I Avoid Losing 95% of my stack with this hand..... : Always better to get it in first on a drawy board. Put the pressure on your opponant.  Sounds like you played it ok tho, its hard to see without the exact action/chipstacks etc
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    I played it as best I could to extract max value, do you know the odds of getting runner, runner for the flush turn and river????
  • edited February 2013
    Just so you know, its not the same, if you check raise the turn, and put him all in on the turn your giving him the chance to fold, now remember, if he had a gutshot and a flush draw, i would hate to see what kind of board you had, and by sounds of it with each card the board got scarier.

Once a board gets scary you either make them pay to see another card, sometimes  they fold and this is fine, thats the most value you can get from them with a board starting to get scary, but one thing you should never do is let them outdraw you for free :(