You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

bad times

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
how long do we carry on playing when losing??????
ive been playing now for 3 days losing hundreds in the process and  cant get over how many people will call with a ragged ace only to hit the ace on the river 
so far lost with a house of aces and twos against 4 2s an ace flush to a straight flush on the river guy had nothing before that
how long shall i play on with this type of luck not for long i think as wont have the funds lol

Comments

• edited December 2009
    only last week i had a bad run that had lasted 8 days. take a day off away from poker, move down in stakes. i lost half my bankroll but getting it all back, i should be back to even by the start of next week. search through the threads on general poker chat and look for (a bad run), ur luck will come back but not when ur on tilt
  • edited December 2009

Aup bud, bet u hate the game at the mo dont ya? Its horrible when its like that, I woke up monday mornin after a stinking session, lost 350 quid in a night. Had a day off, played yest n got the lot bak plus alot more.

I'd carry on playing, as soon as possible. maybe 1 day off at most, but don't leave it too long. - Thats my opinion.

It can't KEEP happening, things will turn round, I dnt believe all this stuff people say about losing streaks going on for months n months, even years.

Maybe in tournys yeh but in cash games every single hand is a new, isolated event.

My advice is carry on playing until the money runs out (it wont if ur a good player) - And if ur in danger of goin broke maybe u shud play a lower level for a couple of days, but deffo keep playing, and things will turn around.

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    its near the top of page 5
  • edited December 2009
     One possibilty is to play in some really low stake stuff and have a mess around and have some fun. If you have the enjoyment of playing in you then you will get it back together again. If the bad run is haunting you or you are trying to chase the loses then you will not be bringing your A game to the table.

Just do whatever needs to be done to get the enjoyment back and then you will start to see your game coming back and the beats will not seem as bad.
  • edited December 2009
    cheers for all your good advice but this run may be my last
    moved from sit and gos to multi tornies still getting smashed moved to cash tables started off on 50p 1pound levels then droped to 25 p 50p now on 5 p 10p and still getting the bad beats but i do think that people play a lot tighter on the higher tables but hey its there money to play and mine to lose lol
    gl to all who carry on playing this great game
  • edited December 2009
    BANKROLL MANAGEMENT is a key part of poker if you have none you WILL go broke
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to bad times:
    how long do we carry on playing when losing?????? ive been playing now for 3 days losing hundreds in the process and  cant get over how many people will call with a ragged ace only to hit the ace on the river  so far lost with a house of aces and twos against 4 2s an ace flush to a straight flush on the river guy had nothing before that how long shall i play on with this type of luck not for long i think as wont have the funds lol
    Posted by sim75
    He had 4 cards to a straight flush.
    All the best
  • edited December 2009
    Pokers a horrible game when you're losing, but the best in the world when you win

Have a break and come back, sure you'll be back to winning ways :)
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: bad times:
    Aup bud, bet u hate the game at the mo dont ya? Its horrible when its like that, I woke up monday mornin after a stinking session, lost 350 quid in a night. Had a day off, played yest n got the lot bak plus alot more. I'd carry on playing, as soon as possible. maybe 1 day off at most, but don't leave it too long. - Thats my opinion. It can't KEEP happening, things will turn round, I dnt believe all this stuff people say about losing streaks going on for months n months, even years. Maybe in tournys yeh but in cash games every single hand is a new, isolated event. My advice is carry on playing until the money runs out (it wont if ur a good player) - And if ur in danger of goin broke maybe u shud play a lower level for a couple of days, but deffo keep playing, and things will turn around. DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    The advice to just play through a bad run without taking a break is fine if you are wired right.
    I have tried to do this and come to the conclusion that taking a break is definitely what I prefer.  A bad run turns to tilt, and you may not even notice you are tilting which leads to an even further downswing.  I leave it a few days for 2 reasons,

1 - It gives me some time to get my head around my NEW bankroll, therefore suppressing the chasing mentality as I would be desperately trying to get my br back to what it was.

2 - I have basically calmed down and any tilt tendencies should be virtually gone.

3 - If the downswing has caused me to move down in stakes, If I hadnt taken a break I would be too used to the higher limits, and therefore not taking the new limit seriously.  A break basically resets my brain and I play properly to those stakes.

lol, thats 3 reasons but w/e.......gl
  • edited December 2009
    It gives me some time to get my head around my NEW bankroll, therefore suppressing the chasing mentality as I would be desperately trying to get my br back to what it was.
    Posted by OMahonyO

If you were playing at the right limits for your origonal bankroll in the first place, if the bankroll was solid, a week of bad hits shudnt effect it. If ya have a few fantastic days and end 30 buy ins up, this shudnt neccesserily triggeer a knee jerk rection to move up a level. Success over a period of time is required. Id argue its the same with losing. If you lose consistantly over a long period of time, then look at making changes.

It's not a 'new bankroll' its the same one. U have to believe u can beat the game or you shouldnt be there in the first place, a run of bad play/bad beats is a variable. Origonal bankroll management shud be in place to deal with such swings.

I agree that the decision to take a break or not is very much a personal thing though.

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    well thanks for all the advice folks it sure paid off after winning tikays sleepstack last night and doubling my bankroll for a change may be there is light at the end of the tunnel gl to every one who helped me