You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Who Else Feels Like This?

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
I dont want to moan, but I am sure I am not the only person out there that feels like this..  That feels no matter what you do the Poker Gods are just AGAINST you, that the dealer favours everyone else than you..

Each time I get a good run of cards, and money, then loose it all..  Im just go on a downhill..

THIS has happened to me too many times now..  And the funny things is it mainly happens when I actually add some more to my bankroll..  Then I get three good days of making a little bit of money then from their that's when the bad luck starts, and loose it all

How common is it for you guys?  And how do you get round this?

The way I feel at the moment I should just give up poker.. And the funny thing is I normally do enjoy watching and playing it..  But this is now getting ridicolous

Comments

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Who Else Feels Like This?:
    I dont want to moan, but I am sure I am not the only person out there that feels like this..  That feels no matter what you do the Poker Gods are just AGAINST you, that the dealer favours everyone else than you.. Each time I get a good run of cards, and money, then loose it all..  Im just go on a downhill.. THIS has happened to me too many times now..  And the funny things is it mainly happens when I actually add some more to my bankroll..  Then I get three good days of making a little bit of money then from their that's when the bad luck starts, and loose it all How common is it for you guys?  And how do you get round this? The way I feel at the moment I should just give up poker.. And the funny thing is I normally do enjoy watching and playing it..  But this is now getting ridicolous
    Posted by dominon105
    you cannot lose your roll purely on "bad luck" alone,sounds like you play too many hands imo.
  • edited December 2009
    have you tried the free play tables? they can be great fun and may restore some confidence in your game
  • edited December 2009
    i had the same problem back in May.I took a break and i returned recently and it has done me the world of good,you should try it.
  • edited December 2009
    Every player goes through 'the doldrums',   how ever the question you have to ask yourself is this, are you playing all evening or  taking breaks, more importantly  are you being 'SELECTIVE' in what you play, that's to say    ONE game and concentrate on that..

Are you  playing Cash or Tournaments, please don't say your playing both at the same time !!!

IF you playing tournaments  then try a couple of  'Sit'n'Go's' !! 
      Maybe 'Scary 6 seat-er" it's like playing a final table where  the first two get paid, there good experience for playing a final table.
    However it  sounds like your  confidence has been hit , so just play one game then break for 1/2 hour to re evaluate,
    I'd say play DYM where top 3 double their stake but in truth they are a bit of a grind...   
    The main thing to  think about is,  "If your not enjoying it, then are you doing something wrong' ...  Be selective  and take time to think what game your  playing   ... glk benny
  • edited December 2009
    hear what your saying m8 happens to me some times but now if i get two bad beats one after the other thats me done for day just know its going to be one of them days tomorrow  an other day
  • edited December 2009
    i felt the same when i started playing. It was when i played live i realised it happens the same.

I have to say when you start haviing these bad days take a break. Once you do that you miss the spell and your up, even withdraw your origional payment into the game so that you know at worst you cant make a loss. This was also a trait i learnt early days in my poker.

If you still wish to play when your just not getting tighten up a little and see less flops. Hope this helps
  • edited December 2009
    Try playing Tourneys for a while you can only
     lose what it costs to enrol. gives you breathing space. and time to yhink.

• edited December 2009
      The first thing you need to do is sit back and look at your own game. We all have faults in our game and we need to find where they are and eliminate them.

The major ones include playing above our roll and therefore not being able to pplay properly because of how much we are risking.Playing too many hands, this is a fault you see at the low level cash games where often you will find 6 players going to the flop all hoping to get lucky. Not using position correctly or even at all. Playing in the wrong types of game, for example if your game suits tournys then stay away from the cash tables.Playing in the wrong structures speed vs deep stacks.

The key is to find the game that best suits your style and is within your bankroll.

The feeling of bad luck tends to come from someone playing loose and playing too many hands while those around are tighter and are being more selective with their range  i.e. plaing better cards. It will usually seem that they are getting lucky but they are making their own luck.Also the luck element changes based on preflop aggression. A good preflop raise will eliminate poor or drawing hands which decreases your chance of being outdrawn. But if you raise too often then your opponents will widen their calling range to compensate. It is all about finding the balance.

Luck is a big factor in the game and it adds to the enjoyment of it but by good sensible play you can lower the luck element involved and put it more on your own skill. The other thing to remember is when we go in as an 80% favourite we always remember the 20% we lose but very rarely the 80% we win.

Good luck in finding your balance