You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

a monster hand wasted

SunnyD346 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.16
xBig blind  £0.04 £0.06 £6.52
 Your hole cards

snaptilt Fold     
craigcu12 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £4.17
genlee Fold     
SunnyD346 Fold     
xCheck     
Flop

xCheck     
craigcu12 Bet  £0.05 £0.15 £4.12
xFold  
even slow play would be unlikely to get much with this villian.

Comments

• edited February 2013
    mate you got the nuts give the guy a free card
  • edited February 2013
    Don't limp. If you don't limp then at least the pot should be like 30p ish before you even get to see the quads.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: a monster hand wasted:
    Don't limp. If you don't limp then at least the pot should be like 30p ish before you even get to see the quads.
    Posted by Lambert180
    've got to admit this is the problem with these hands.
    my main betting is 20p  but for hands such as this it's a big risk doing 20p bets because from the post flop if i miss my set i struggle to know what to do frop then on as these table are hard for me to Cbet
  • edited February 2013
    I agree with you craig, i hate limping in with small pocket pairs though so i just raise it to 3x the big blind instead of 5x so it's a relatively cheap flop to see haha. Pocket pairs are difficult to play on 4nl i feel.
  • edited February 2013
    Small pocket pairs are the easiest hand to play in the game!!!

Don't limp in pre-flop. If you win the blinds don't think "Darn it! I only won the blinds" think instead "Yay! I won the blinds!!"

If we are 3-bet, it's easy to judge our opponent's 3-betting range and our implied odds for set-mining. Against a tight 3-better, we can set mine with implied odds as low as 10;1. Against a loose 3-better we need odds of perhaps 20:1 to set-mine profitably. Against those loose players, we can think about 4-betting as a bluff.

If we go heads-up to the flop with the betting lead and miss our set, we can c-bet almost any flop unless it smashes our opponent's calling range. If we get action, then we can give up for a negligible loss. If we hit the set we bet for value. 

If we go multi-way and miss our set, we don't c-bet beause it's unlikely to get through. We just give up and it costs us very little. If we hit our set, we bet for value and we're very likely to find a customer multi-way.

Playing small pocket pairs only gets tricky when we regularly make big bets but still want to balance our range. This makes our c-bets more expensive when we're bluffing and makes it tougher to play through the streets with marginal hands.
  • edited February 2013
    If we go heads-up to the flop with the betting lead and miss our set, we can c-bet almost any flop unless it smashes our opponent's calling range.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    At nl4, isn't many people's calling range any 2 cards though? haha.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: a monster hand wasted : At nl4, isn't many people's calling range any 2 cards though? haha.
    Posted by skeg_poker
    If you think that's the case then you adjust by c-betting every single flop. If you get action, give it up.