You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Help with this hand? (Live poker)

edited February 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I don't know if i am allowed to post hands that aren't from sky poker to ask for advice so apologies in advance if it's forbidden haha, I play live poker a lot more than online so most of my hands will be from live poker.

Just wondering how I played this hand that happened last night, I will try and make it as easy to understand as i can, since obviously I can't convert any hand history lol.

Blinds 100/200, I had 5700 chips, villian had around the same amount. I was dealt 10,3 of clubs in the big blind, folds round to the villian on the button who limps in, small blind calls and i check. Flop comes 6c 7c Ad, small blind checks, I check, villian bets 300, small blind folds and I call. Turn is the 8c, i check and villian bets 600, and I call. The river is the Ac, i check and villian bets 1600, i decide to fold since the board double paired and i only had a 10 high flush. Was it the right fold?

(MY CARDS: 10 clubs, 3 clubs.  BOARD: 6 clubs, 7 clubs, A diamonds, 8 clubs, A clubs)

I was thinking of raising the turn after i hit my flush but i was wary of a higher flush so i was planning on just check calling all 3 streets, until that dreaded ace of clubs came out on the river anyway haha.

I got told by my pal sitting next to me who took a sneaky look at my cards after he folded that I played it perfectly, but i'm not so sure, was i too passive?

Hope this was OK to understand haha, the villian showed me what he had afterwards but I will leave it to everyone else to figure that out :P

Comments

• edited February 2013

Did you consider check-raising or leading on the flop? Why did you decide against those options?

What made you wary of the higher flush? I don't mind check-calling the turn but it's not because I'm fearful of a better hand. I'd be looking to extract value from someone I think may bet again on the river with a weaker hand. Check-raising the turn really just makes my hand transparent.

The board doesn't double-pair, it's just paired. However your hand is little more than a bluff catcher because it's so unlikely that your opponent is value-betting worse hands. The best hand we beat is the 9-flush and who bets that on a paired, four club board?

So you can call the river if your opponent is liable to bluff this spot, trying to get you to fold a pair. It's pretty unlikely that someone who limps the button is going to be regularly bluffing in this situation, though. I'd say the check-fold on the river is probably best.

• edited February 2013
    I call the river

Personally I'd have raised the turn cos the last thing you want is a 4th club to come down. It's possible it could put you behind in the hand but more importantly, people will be very reluctant to pay you off when the board has 4 of the same suit.

EDIT: Yeah like Borin, I'd be wanting to c/r flop.
  • edited February 2013
    The guy always limps in with hands like weak suited aces, king 8-10 suited, queen 9-10, jack 9-10 suited etc and pocket pairs as well. So thats why i was wary of the higher flush, I didn't lead out on the flop since i knew the villian would bet 95% of the time if its been checked to him in position, but i just called because it was early in the tournament and didn't want to get involved in a massive pot at that stage.

And yes sorry, i meant to say the board paired, not double paired haha.

• edited February 2013
    If you know he's going to bet the flop 95% of the time when it's checked to him, that's a really good reason to check-raise. Our hand is a semi-bluff so we're happy to get two folds but if we get more action our hand has alot of equity. We can get more value from our flush when we hit it and we can continue bluffing and put our opponent in a tough situation if we miss. We know he's unlikely to have a strong hand when he limps in pre-flop, so we can put pressure on him and win a sizeable pot with continued aggression.

Not wanting to build a big pot early on is -EV. Your aim with the check-raise isn't to build a big pot, it's to win the hand. We can win by getting our semi-bluff through on the flop, by continuing our bluff on the turn or by making the best hand. By check-calling we can only win the hand by making our flush and we may still find a way to lose the hand, as you did here.
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks borini, i will keep that in mind next time the same type of situation arises. He did have the higher flush though, queen-jack of clubs so at least i made a good fold on the river haha :P

Difficult spot though, always good to get advice and that from more experienced players, will help me become a better player over time :)
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Help with this hand? (Live poker):
    Thanks borini
    Posted by skeg_poker
    I wrote all that with a knackered shoulder.

Shame I'm not as useful on a football pitch as I am on a poker forum. £11million? *sigh*
  • edited February 2013
    just suprised the villan didnt raise pre on the button qj suited after its folded round to him,i would have checked raised  the flop,led out the turn,and probaly done ma stack.

As noted above ,im check raising to get value into my hand if i hit my flush,and also maybe taking the hand on the flop.when it comes the turn card,well ive hit my dream card,and im leading out hopin he re raises so i can get all my chips in,on this occasion im doing my stack.