You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

JJ facing a shove on the flop

edited February 2013 in The Poker Clinic
given the way the action was preflop should is their much chance of me still being ahead on the flop or should i fold
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
conlon06 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £1.82
supermanu1 Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £7.45
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

craigcu12 Raise  £0.40 £0.52 £6.50
conlon06 Call  £0.36 £0.88 £1.46
supermanu1 Raise  £1.60 £2.48 £5.85
craigcu12 Call  £1.28 £3.76 £5.22
conlon06 Call  £1.28 £5.04 £0.18
Flop

conlon06 All-in  £0.18 £5.22 £0.00
supermanu1 All-in  £5.85 £11.07 £0.00

Comments

• edited February 2013
  • edited February 2013
    Probably a fold pre to be honest. Definitely a fold on the flop.
  • edited February 2013
    If you call the pre-flop 3-bet, then I think you have to call the shove on the flop.

Open for 5x out of an 86BB stack.

Face a 3-bet for 20x, which we flat call.

Ten-high flop, facing a shove we have to call or we should fold pre-flop.

Either way, I think we should probably be folding or shoving pre-flop. We lack the implied odds to set-mine if we think the 3-bet is only AA, KK, or QQ and if the range is wider than that, we want to get it in pre-flop before they have a chance to miss the board and give up the hand.

Shove or fold pre-flop but if we call pre-flop it has to be because we can extract value from weaker hands through the streets, not just to flop a set. If that was the plan, this is a call on the flop.
  • edited February 2013

post reads, if you have any

i'm snapping it off
  • edited February 2013
    any reads on your opponent to help with decision?

also think the main thing to think about here is pre flop, if you think the opponent is quite tight and not 3betting pre unless its qq+ then you should fold pre imo so you don`t have this tough decision on the flop.

just wasting money if you call pre with jj then fold on 10 high boards imo make your mind up pre if your going the whole way and what flops you are happy to get your stack in etc.

• edited February 2013
    lol Folk saying, if you are calling preflop you have to go on 10 high flop...

I agree with Lambert it's a fold pre, say if it was at a high level for serious money, but it's only just over a quid to call. You call, and while a 10 high flop looks like a dream, as soon as oppos all in, what can we possible be beating after the action preflop.

We have called, not hut our set, just fold it. I don't think we can ever justify a call there.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: JJ facing a shove on the flop:
    lol Folk saying, if you are calling preflop you have to go on 10 high flop... I agree with Lambert it's a fold pre, say if it was at a high level for serious money, but it's only just over a quid to call. You call, and while a 10 high flop looks like a dream, as soon as oppos all in, what can we possible be beating after the action preflop. We have called, not hut our set, just fold it. I don't think we can ever justify a call there.
    Posted by LARSON7
    lol

so you're thinking villain only ever 3bets AA, KK, QQ?! maybe AK but then he just gives up when he misses??
  • edited February 2013
    If we fold the flop, we can't justify the call pre-flop. That's the issue.

The only justification for calling pre-flop is that it's the best way to extract value from weaker hands, which means we now have to call the flop. If we're going to fold a ten-high flop, we have to fold pre-flop. Not having a plan for post-flop play when we make the call pre-flop is going to be disastrous for us in the long-term.

Against most opponents, it's a shove or fold pre-flop, as I said. However if you call the plan can't be to set-mine with the measly implied odds we're being offered. The implied odds are £1.28 to win a maximum of £8.98 which is roughly 7:1. Our odds of flopping a set are 7.5:1. So calling to merely set mine is demonstrably -EV. (Assuming that the third player does not get involved, as we should do)

7.5:1 would not be good enough implied odds anyway because we can not be sure that we always stack our opponent when we hit our set and we can't be sure that we always win when we hit our set.

So folding the flop after calling pre-flop is bad.

EDIT: Altered my numbers slightly after misreading the hand history
  • edited February 2013

If we fold the flop, we can't justify the call pre-flop. That's the issue. The only justification for calling pre-flop is that it's the best way to extract value from weaker hands, which means we now have to call the flop. If we're going to fold a ten-high flop, we have to fold pre-flop. Not having a plan for post-flop play when we make the call pre-flop is going to be disastrous for us in the long-term. Against most opponents, it's a shove or fold pre-flop, as I said. However if you call the plan can't be to set-mine with the measly implied odds we're being offered. The implied odds are £1.28 to win a maximum of £8.98 which is roughly 7:1. Our odds of flopping a set are 7.5:1. So calling to merely set mine is demonstrably -EV. 7.5:1 would not be good enough implied odds anyway because we can not be sure that we always stack our opponent when we hit our set and we can't be sure that we always win when we hit our set. So folding the flop after calling pre-flop is bad. EDIT: Altered my numbers slightly after misreading the hand history
    Posted by BorinLoner
    You are right in what you say, apart from the last bit imo.

In poker particuarly at a low level, it's easy to see a high pocket pair jacks and find it hard to let them so. So while the call pre-flop in my opinion should be a fold, i dont think we can say its bad to fold the flop (just because we have called preflop). Like with everything poker is a lot of skill, some way luck, and mostly making the right decisions.

If i call a raise preflop, then on the flop i reassess due to a massive bet getting put in. If i now think i'm behind I have to fold. It's a fluid thing, constantly changing.

Due to the nature of the game, there is always going to be misakes. It is just limiting these. 

• edited February 2013
    When someone 3-bets to 20BB pre-flop, 85BB-effective deep, you need to expect them to bet the flop. Frankly if they don't bet the flop then that's usually much more scarey as it frequently indicates they have a monster and are afraid to chase you out of the hand or they're allowing you to bet with your weaker holdings.

If you call that pre-flop 3-bet you can only justify it as being a value play because he's going to c-bet lots of weaker hands which he would fold to a pre-flop 4-bet. Calling to fold to a flop c-bet, especially on good flops such as Ten-high, is going to result in huge long-term losses. That really isn't debatable.

You call the flop bet a "massive bet" but it's not. It's a pot-sized bet and exactly what we have to expect when we make the call pre-flop. In fact, if the bet was smaller it would actually seem scarier than the shove.
  • edited February 2013
    When someone 3-bets to 20BB pre-flop, 85BB-effective deep, you need to expect them to bet the flop. Frankly if they don't bet the flop then that's usually much more scarey as it frequently indicates they have a monster and are afraid to chase you out of the hand or they're allowing you to bet with your weaker holdings. If you call that pre-flop 3-bet you can only justify it as being a value play because he's going to c-bet lots of weaker hands which he would fold to a pre-flop 4-bet. Calling to fold to a flop c-bet, especially on good flops such as Ten-high, is going to result in huge long-term losses. That really isn't debatable. You call the flop bet a "massive bet" but it's not. It's a pot-sized bet and exactly what we have to expect when we make the call pre-flop. In fact, if the bet was smaller it would actually seem scarier than the shove.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    The pot was sitting at 88c the 3 bet was for £1.60, this is more then a pot sized bet, in fact its almost double.
    and yes you have to expect a cbet, thats part of the reason that you cant fold this now, 
    is he a bad player that will make this kinda move with A 10 if he thinks your weak, or is he the type of player to continue with agression unable to let AK or A Q go, if you think its AK then your still going to win 75% of the time, unless you know villain is only doing this with QQ+ then you cant fold

Other things to think of.... is he a good or bad player? if he is a good player then what does he think of your raise pre flop? if you dont know the answer to both of these, then you shouldnt even see the flop, and if you do know the answer to both of these, then you can easily make a call or fold on that decision alone

just editing this as i realised after that there are 2 people in the hand, 1 all in, and 1 caller of the all in, so now you have to re evaluate your chances, 1 of these could have a flush draw, 1 of em could be a bad player, 1 of em could be a good player, think on each of your opponents level, not your own, but if your folding now, you definately shouldnt of let more people see a flop, so it should of been all in or fold pre
  • edited February 2013
    You're confusing the pre-flop 3-bet with the bet on the flop. The flop bet (well, raise actually) is £5.22 into £5.22. That's after the third player has put in his final 18p. His range is unchanged by the texture of the board. 

I'd like to reiterate that I'd prefer an all-in or fold pre-flop. Even if the pre-flop call was a well considered value play to exploit a wide 3-betting range, it's likely to be less profitable in the long-run than just moving all-in and assuming that the 3-better is pot-committed.

There is a question that needs to be asked of the OP about the pre-flop raise size: Why are you making it 5x? Is that just because DOHHHHHHH's micro-stakes guide told you to do it or do you have your own reasons for this? Do you make this same raise with 22 or 89s?
  • edited February 2013
    4 bet shove pre or fold

• edited February 2013
    There is a question that needs to be asked of the OP about the pre-flop raise size: Why are you making it 5x? Is that just because DOHHHHHHH's micro-stakes guide told you to do it or do you have your own reasons for this? Do you make this same raise with 22 or 89s?
    Posted by BorinLoner

this is why i bet so big preflop
    popeye374 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £6.68
    joejoe17 Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £11.93
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

J4MBOBW Fold     
    DrSharp Fold     
    craigcu12 Raise  £0.24 £0.36 £7.85
    popeye374 Call  £0.20 £0.56 £6.48
    joejoe17 Raise  £0.80 £1.36 £11.13
    craigcu12 All-in  £7.85 £9.21 £0.00
    popeye374 Fold     
    joejoe17 All-in  £11.13 £20.34 £0.00
    joejoe17 Unmatched bet  £3.92 £16.42 £3.92
    joejoe17 Show
    • K

craigcu12 Show
    • K
    • A

Flop

Turn

River

joejoe17 Win Two Pairs, 10s and 4s £15.18  £19.10
    idiot like this one will call anything with stupid hands
  • edited February 2013
    What did the guy have in the hand above, ur jj hand/
  • edited February 2013
    What did the guy have in the hand above, ur jj hand/
    Posted by LARSON7
    in my JJ hand he help KK
  • edited February 2013
    the hand with your ak got beat by k10os just vul but long term you should be happy as you win like 70% here versus their hand.
  • edited February 2013
    As liamboi says, that second hand is an example of a great result from making the 3x raise. You got it in as a 70:30 favourite and that's great news. I don't like 4-bet shoving though, to be honest. I think you were probably too deep for that.

The reason I don't subscribe to the big bets idea at NL4 is that it restricts the hands you can play. Yes, you will get more value from players who can't fold weak hands if you raise big with strong hands but it makes it really tough to play other hands. There are plenty of other great value spots you won't be able to exploit because you'll be unbalanced if you open to 3x with more marginal value hands. This strategy does nothing to prepare you for moving up the levels. It's also really frustrating when you sit around waiting for big hands and then someone stacks you anyway.

So how do you play your other hands? Do you just fold your suited connectors on the button? Do you 5x with them? Do you change your bet sizing depending on the strength of your hand? I want you to think for yourself about how your big bet sizing works for your game as a whole and whether getting maximum value from your big hands is coming at the expense of missed value from other hands. Does it improve your overall game?

Maybe you feel it's the best way but I'd like to hear your arguments in favour of it.
  • edited February 2013
    As liamboi says, that second hand is an example of a great result from making the 3x raise. You got it in as a 70:30 favourite and that's great news. I don't like 4-bet shoving though, to be honest. I think you were probably too deep for that. The reason I don't subscribe to the big bets idea at NL4 is that it restricts the hands you can play. Yes, you will get more value from players who can't fold weak hands if you raise big with strong hands but it makes it really tough to play other hands. There are plenty of other great value spots you won't be able to exploit because you'll be unbalanced if you open to 3x with more marginal value hands. This strategy does nothing to prepare you for moving up the levels. It's also really frustrating when you sit around waiting for big hands and then someone stacks you anyway. So how do you play your other hands? Do you just fold your suited connectors on the button? Do you 5x with them? Do you change your bet sizing depending on the strength of your hand? I want you to think for yourself about how your big bet sizing works for your game as a whole and whether getting maximum value from your big hands is coming at the expense of missed value from other hands. Does it improve your overall game? Maybe you feel it's the best way but I'd like to hear your arguments in favour of it.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    the best way i do it is i include hands like KQo KJo A10s QJs all in the 5xbb
    but i will shorten my betting size from places like the cut off and button to 3xbb with almost every hand because basically small and middle pairs i usually just limp from UTG anyway and things like suited connectors most times play from later positions.

but TBH the truth about why all this 5x BB is done you see is because 9 out of 10 villians on micro stakes see the flop as their main folding point so why waste the chance of getting 20p off them preflop knowing most will fold right away on the flop.
    the reason i say this is because unless you can explain to me why the hell this villian does a raise on the turn but then folds my reraise. i just feel that i'm left with no choice other than to do constant 5xBB preflop and as long as it is not a calling station or maniac then i can simply bluff myself the winnings.
    if this villian holds an A why does he not do a raise right away on the flop if it's just a pair of A with a weak kicker then why does he raise when he could have called the turn so if he has got two pair on the turn what is he not then calling my reraise.
    wellswiz06 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £6.70
    TheTopTee Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.94
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

craigcu12 Raise  £0.20 £0.26 £3.83
    reap_sow Fold     
    xCall  £0.20 £0.46 £2.56
    Poplar134 Fold     
    wellswiz06 Fold     
    TheTopTee Fold     
    Flop

• J

craigcu12 Bet  £0.16 £0.62 £3.67
    xCall  £0.16 £0.78 £2.40
    Turn

craigcu12 Bet  £0.39 £1.17 £3.28
    xRaise  £0.78 £1.95 £1.62
    craigcu12 Raise  £1.56 £3.51 £1.72
    xFold     
    craigcu12 Muck     
    craigcu12 Win  £2.16  £3.88
    craigcu12 Return  £1.17 £0.18 £5.05
  • edited February 2013

i will admit that once i get to the nl10p table the chances are that i will have a constant 3 bet almost every hand becuase that will be when the number of loose passive players will drop.