You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bankroll Challenge. £1500-£5000. By April 1st. £2157

edited February 2013 in Poker Chat
Good luck Ryan as a third year student myself i can definetly relate to the cool off period thing lol have to do it to it myself in both november and december to get essays done, already dreading april/may time may have to have a complete break as the workload is sickening.

October 2012 when I decided to quit my job and use poker to get me by whilst I studied at uni. Although this was poor judgement at the time as I was not very good when I made this decision

Out of interest what changed? did you start working hard on your game with videos-reading etc, or just get better through experience?

Looking foward to following this and maybe see you at the final table of a main sometime soon... lol

Comments

• edited February 2013
     Some may say this is ambitous (for a player of my skill level within the specified time period) but I feel its achievable. I've decided to this for motivational purposes. I wont be making any withdrawals along the way.

I treated poker from a recreational perspective where I enjoyed the game and the odd of profit was a bonus. This was until October 2012 when I decided to quit my job and use poker to get me by whilst I studied at uni. Although this was poor judgement at the time as I was not very good when I made this decision (that's the great thing about poker everyone thinks there good - delusion - me?). However, I feel my game has improved alot and that confidence is a strong tool when you are trying to achieve in any area. Ive found it difficult to fit in alot of volume with the pressures of being a second year student. I've had to select the "cool-off" option multiple times so that I would actually pick up a book. The main period was for 2 weeks prior to Dec 14th. Dec 14th meant christmas break and I was buzzing to be able to play much more poker. In this 3 week period I was able to make £3k just playing the nightly mains and a bit of cash and reached my highest ever amount of c4ps (4.5k). I decided to withdraw this money, buy a watch and use the rest for holidays in Ibiza and Thailand this summer. This way the money felt real and unlike some Kudos points fluctuating up and down on a computer screen.

I returned to uni on the 7th of Jan and had my worst month of poker, where I broke even despite winning the £55bh for £900ish (which is not to be snarled at uni!). During this month I earnt less than 2000 c4p so I guess its my own fault for not putting the volume in.

So far February has been a very good month for me. So far my total profit is £2.4k for MTTs and £400 for Cash. This is probably due to volume as Ive already passed my highest c4p and will hopefully make priority for the first time this month. I have made withdrawals so that I can survive for the next month or two. My roll is now £1500 which will be my highest ever starting roll when aiming to achieve something. 

I will be playing the nightly mains starting tonight. Also I will play a mixture of 20nl-50nl, the odd £11BH, £5.50 velocity and satellites to £55+ and maybe SPT London. I will probably update every 2 days with what tournaments Ive played, the status of my roll and some hands along the way. Whatever the result, I will end this discussion on April 1st.

Wish me luck
  • edited February 2013
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Bankroll Challenge. £1500-£5000. By April 1st:
    Good luck Ryan as a third year student myself i can definetly relate to the cool off period thing lol have to do it to it myself in both november and december to get essays done, already dreading april/may time may have to have a complete break as the workload is sickening. October 2012 when I decided to quit my job and use poker to get me by whilst I studied at uni. Although this was poor judgement at the time as I was not very good when I made this decision Out of interest what changed? did you start working hard on your game with videos-reading etc, or just get better through experience? Looking foward to following this and maybe see you at the final table of a main sometime soon... lol
    Posted by benc

Yeah I was watching alot of videos but havent for a while now. I guess the main thing was making less and less mistakes as time went on. I also take as many notes as possible now, peoples opening range/how often they 3bet 4bet/cbet/flat 3bets/1st all in impression/2nd all in impression/general stuff. Videos help I think as its easier to take things in. I read supersystem and harrington on cash. Supersystem I didnt really like but the harrington one is very good I think. I still hardly put any hours in on cash but hopefully I will begin to.

• edited February 2013
    For some reason I understated my starting roll. It was £1550.

After 1st session. 5table 20nl for 1 hour. £53 profit

roll £1603
  • edited February 2013
    Good Luck Ryan

I could try to compete as I have a similar BR now and am trying to reach 5k at least by the end of the year... but I think by April is very ambitious indeed!

All the best
  • edited February 2013
    TY mate. Get involved! Competitions always good 
  • edited February 2013
    Day 1

Cash: NL20, 2 hours, 4-5 tables. £72 profit

MTTs:
    Main - 87th/182 didnt get anything going played terrible.

Mini - 70th/460. HP 2.81

9pm £55bh - 78th/98. Flopped a set of 4s on a 4d6d10h flop in a limped pot on the 20/40 level, managed to get it in with equal chips stacks 55 bb's roughly against J9dd. Bink diamond seeya Ryan.

7pm £22bh - 1st/63. £304.24. Got very lucky in a hand early on but played well throughout I think. 

Roll £1815. C4P now stands at 4939. Need to make priority for the 1st time but looking doubtful got 2000 words for next Friday and dont know what the title is yet. Brilliant
  • edited February 2013

Nice 1 Ryan,

I hope you do it mate, really ambitious. Just keep focussed on the goal and you ll do brilliant.

• edited February 2013
    gl in your challenge will watch this thread with interest
  • edited February 2013
    Hi Ryan

Good luck with this mate. I've played against you a couple of times and am sure you can do it if your focused!

Jonny
  • edited February 2013
    wow your a tank teach me
  • edited February 2013
    DAY 2

Cash: NL20. 4-7 tables. 4 seperate hours. £85 profit

MTTs:
    Main £4k rebuy - 7th/231 for £183. Got lucky several times. Possibly played a little to tight in the late stages.

Mini - 90th/262. Rebuy rebuy rebuy lose lose lose. 33 on a AJ3 board cracked by AQ lolol in on flop.

£55 bh - 104th/122. £42 HP. Said happy bday to someone and stacked off with aces horribly.

£55 bh speed - 15th/41. Lost flip with AKcc in pot which would of give me near chip lead so a bit dissapointing.

STTs:  3 HU Hypercharged £5.25. Win 0 Lose 3. -£15.25

Roll £1926. C4P - 5257
  • edited February 2013
    Nearly £400 in two days you really are a tank lol btw if you want to have your present roll in the title edit the very first post tilte when you update rather than your latest post and it will show in the title when people click into the forum.
  • edited February 2013
    Nearly £400 in two days you really are a tank lol btw if you want to have your present roll in the title edit the very first post tilte when you update rather than your latest post and it will show in the title when people click into the forum.
    Posted by benc
    Sweet mate thats helpful. Yeah decent start, variance is being kind to me
  • edited February 2013
    Ryan

Good luck with this, best way of doing this is binking the sunday roller. Then you can have the whole of March off! Simples really!,

Best of luck, keep the updates coming, will keep an eye on this. Looks a good challenge a difficult one but if it wasn't difficult it wouldn't be a challenge!

Matt
  • edited February 2013
    Ryan Good luck with this, best way of doing this is binking the sunday roller. Then you can have the whole of March off! Simples really!, Best of luck, keep the updates coming, will keep an eye on this. Looks a good challenge a difficult one but if it wasn't difficult it wouldn't be a challenge! Matt
    Posted by MattBates
    TY mate. Yeh ill be playing the sunday roller no matter what. Probably end up trying to sat 100 times, failing and buying in. Standard
  • edited February 2013
    Well played tonight, I am confident if you put enough hours in you will achieve the challenge. Keep it going
  • edited February 2013
    DAY 3.

Cash:
    20nl. 6 table. 1 hour. -£25
    50nl. donked about for a bit -£12
    100nl. found to donkeys so had to risk it, it was a shame they left, keysa and the boys came and i became the donkey. +£5.50

MTTs:
    Main £33 £12k BH. 388th/408. A friend of mine was at the table, I tried to bluff him and it didnt work lol.
    Mini 514/566. As you can see i came pretty close to the jackpot last night.
    £55 speed BH.  34th/39
    £22 BH. 17th/52
    £10.60 SPT london sat. 22nd/38
    £4k £11 Rebuy. 3rd/155. £400

Roll £2107. C4P. 5607.
  • edited February 2013
    Well played tonight, I am confident if you put enough hours in you will achieve the challenge. Keep it going
    Posted by MattBates
    ty. I was gonna put the Q9 5bet shove hand in here but didnt wanna embarass you to much mate haha. I dont know if Ill be able to make it got so much work to do gonna have to hit the cool off this week. marrrrrrrrrrrrre
  • edited February 2013
    DAY 4

CASH: 20-30NL. 6-8 tables 1 hour. Roughy £60 profit. I didn't record it properly because I was at uni playing on there computers. I struggle to play more than 4 at home because our internet in this dive of a uni house is woeful.

MTTs:

Main £55 £10k BH. I late reg'd after about half hour and flopped  a set of Kings of a KJ10, got it in against Qs and yeah I was out after about 10 minutes.

£55 Speed BH. £42 HP.

£11 £3000 R. 4th. £218

£10.60 SPT Quater. Lose.

Mini. Called an all in with 28 pre for about 60bbs just after I went out of the main

Ive final tabled (one day was 7th) all 4 days but unable to close a big win lol. ANY TIPS ON FT PLAY - I just cannot win at a final table. I have honestly probably made 15-20 FT's of the 8pm or 9pm since December and not won once.

Roll £2219

• edited February 2013
    *** 5th in £11 R
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Bankroll Challenge. £1500-£5000. By April 1st. £2219:
    DAY 4 CASH: 20-30NL. 6-8 tables 1 hour. Roughy £60 profit. I didn't record it properly because I was at uni playing on there computers. I struggle to play more than 4 at home because our internet in this dive of a uni house is woeful. MTTs: Main £55 £10k BH. I late reg'd after about half hour and flopped  a set of Kings of a KJ10, got it in against Qs and yeah I was out after about 10 minutes. £55 Speed BH. £42 HP. £11 £3000 R. 4th. £218 £10.60 SPT Quater. Lose. Mini. Called an all in with 28 pre for about 60bbs just after I went out of the main Ive final tabled (one day was 7th) all 4 days but unable to close a big win lol. ANY TIPS ON FT PLAY - I just cannot win at a final table. I have honestly probably made 15-20 FT's of the 8pm or 9pm since December and not won once. Roll £2219
    Posted by RyanC7
    i find final table the easy part you HAVE to play aggresive and catch cards here and there ;p
  • edited February 2013
    Was a decent start to the day. Played 2 sessions of 20nl 6 table each half hour making £9.60 and £87. 

I then decided to play another one before 6pm. 

I managed to get in AK v AQ and Q8 pre. yes he limped for 20p and then put in £20 with Q hi pre. Must of strayed from the SkyVegas. Yeah the river was OBV a queen. When will this happen for me Sky?

Someone then called a 5bet shove with 34 and the flop came 567. LOOOL COME ON NOW - how much rake must be paying to get rewarded liike this haha ;). Also when i post hands in here they will not show holecards no matter what i do? 

So yeah session 3 ended after 15 mins with a loss of £45. Soooo annoying. I play short sessions to deal with tilt. My win rate is always higher probably to do with my level of concentration but 15 mins has to be a new record.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Bankroll Challenge. £1500-£5000. By April 1st. £2219 : i find final table the easy part you HAVE to play aggresive and catch cards here and there ;p
    Posted by loololollo
    i think the final tables ryan reaches are a little different to the final tables you have encountered!!!
  • edited February 2013
    DAY 4 CASH: 20-30NL. 6-8 tables 1 hour. Roughy £60 profit. I didn't record it properly because I was at uni playing on there computers. I struggle to play more than 4 at home because our internet in this dive of a uni house is woeful. MTTs: Main £55 £10k BH. I late reg'd after about half hour and flopped  a set of Kings of a KJ10, got it in against Qs and yeah I was out after about 10 minutes. £55 Speed BH. £42 HP. £11 £3000 R. 4th. £218 £10.60 SPT Quater. Lose. Mini. Called an all in with 28 pre for about 60bbs just after I went out of the main Ive final tabled (one day was 7th) all 4 days but unable to close a big win lol. ANY TIPS ON FT PLAY - I just cannot win at a final table. I have honestly probably made 15-20 FT's of the 8pm or 9pm since December and not won once. Roll £2219
    Posted by RyanC7
    still class to run so deep so regular. sick play!!!
  • edited February 2013
    Was a decent start to the day. Played 2 sessions of 20nl 6 table each half hour making £9.60 and £87.  I then decided to play another one before 6pm.  I managed to get in AK v AQ and Q8 pre. yes he limped for 20p and then put in £20 with Q hi pre. Must of strayed from the SkyVegas. Yeah the river was OBV a queen. When will this happen for me Sky? Someone then called a 5bet shove with 34 and the flop came 567. LOOOL COME ON NOW - how much rake must be paying to get rewarded liike this haha ;). Also when i post hands in here they will not show holecards no matter what i do?  So yeah session 3 ended after 15 mins with a loss of £45. Soooo annoying. I play short sessions to deal with tilt. My win rate is always higher probably to do with my level of concentration but 15 mins has to be a new record.
    Posted by RyanC7
    Just copy and paste it into the box, then where you can see the letters/numbers for your holecards just delete that bit :) Trying to hide your own spew? ;)

Great work so far btw. Fancy teaching me to play MTTs ;)
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Bankroll Challenge. £1500-£5000. By April 1st. £2219 : i think the final tables ryan reaches are a little different to the final tables you have encountered!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    yeah prob but i prefer playing irl and i have gone o quite a few big final tables
  • edited February 2013
    I'm sure as one of the better sky mtt regs you'll do this. Only played you once but I could tell from about 4 hands that you're better than like 72.4% of the players on here haha.

gl sir
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Bankroll Challenge. £1500-£5000. By April 1st. £2219 : still class to run so deep so regular. sick play!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573

Yeah. Could just be on some sick 3month run good, who knows. Aint complaining though lol
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Bankroll Challenge. £1500-£5000. By April 1st. £2219 : Just copy and paste it into the box, then where you can see the letters/numbers for your holecards just delete that bit :) Trying to hide your own spew? ;) Great work so far btw. Fancy teaching me to play MTTs ;)
    Posted by Lambert180
    Im sure you could do it. I think you need more confidence lol. Most of your posts in the forum seem like you know what your doing and have quite a big edge (20nl etc). Do you sit at empty tables btw? This will boost your win rate dramatically. The fields in MTTs on here are so weak - anyone can do it. Its probably jsut a few tweaks here and there and a few less presses of the call button. GL