You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Limp in with Queens UTG on tight table?

edited February 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hey, this is my exit hand from a tourney tonight. I'm UTG with pocket queens sitting short stacked.

It was a tight table, if i was all in, i felt it would fold all the way around. I'm hopin some one is going to raise so i can shove, folds round to BB and is checked.

If i shove preflop (based on previous hands) i'm just getting the blinds, im thining i need the double up so so played it. Oppo flopped a straight, so i'm just about drawing dead when it's all in on flop.

Its a throw up wanting to double up and getting paid.

In this occasion it didn't work, but i feel i played this the right way. Just wondering what others think.

If im all in, i get the blinds and am still sitting massive short stack.
cenachav Small blind  150.00 150.00 4690.00
POKERTREV Big blind  300.00 450.00 13042.50
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

LARSON7 Call  300.00 750.00 2415.00
tomhead13 Fold     
GELDY Fold     
vida Fold     
cenachav Fold     
POKERTREV Check     
Flop

POKERTREV Check     
LARSON7 Bet  562.50 1312.50 1852.50
POKERTREV Raise  1125.00 2437.50 11917.50
LARSON7 All-in  1852.50 4290.00 0.00
POKERTREV Call  1290.00 5580.00 10627.50
POKERTREV Show

LARSON7 Show
  • Q
  • Q

Turn

• K

River

• J

POKERTREV Win Straight to the 9 5580.00

Comments

• edited February 2013

standard all in jam pre for me, if it gets folded round so be it, next hand look for another spot!!

• edited February 2013
    I know! Normally it is100% ive never been at such a tight table in all my life.. so played it diferent.

Im thinkin i win the blinds im only sitting with bout 10 bigs. It this circumstance, i like the play, tho never worked out this time.
  • edited February 2013
    ewww get it in pre or raise it pre, the flop turns out disgusting for your hand i would hate to get it in on that flop
  • edited February 2013
    lol i cant raise, min raise, shows i have a monster... then again so does my just call, given my stack...
  • edited February 2013
    ALLLLLLIIINNNN
  • edited February 2013

Yep, a pre-flop shove is better in my opinion. The limp will look more suspicious if you've been raising every hand previously and at least three of these players are good enough to recognise that.

If you shove, it's just someone shoving 9BB and you can be perceived to have a wide range. I'd rather give hands like KQ, KJ, AT, 66, 77 the opportunity to call us pre-flop than give them the chance to, for example, check in the Big Blind and not pay us if they miss the flop. If we just take down the blinds, it's no big deal. We're still adding 16.5% to our stack without a showdown which should be viewed as good news.

You should never fold that flop.

• edited February 2013
    Trappppiinnnnn lol
  • edited February 2013

True enough, i likedmy trappy limp, but I should have just shoved pre.

I was just so scared of not getting paid.  I would always normally shove queens in that spot, it was just such a bizarre table.

• edited February 2013

You say the table is really tight, can you not open your shoving range up then? You will get called by a hand that beats you (that is IF they have a hand they consider strong enough to call you) but you will also pick up lots of uncontested pots. Also, is the table that tight or are they not calling your shoves as you are playing very tight and therefore always have it rather than say, potentially be shoving light in position?

Matt

• edited February 2013

Tight table with cenachav & geldy on it?.....they both shove if dealt one of the jokers in the pack. :)

As for the hand......limping is the worse option IMO. If you min raise to something like x 2.2BB and it gets folded round, so be it.Yes you want action but not the wrong action which you left yourself open for.
  • edited February 2013
    i thought I would test this out today

played AA & KK slow into multi-way pots
    all-in on the flop both times multiway
    KK<AA<2prs (38o on an 83x flop)
    flush draw<AA<idiot straight on the flop as above

so the empirical evidence would seem to justify the above advice 
    you are asking for trouble if you let atc into hands against your big pairs

ha maxally - but which of the jokers eh!

• edited February 2013
    I once shoved when I was dealt a joker and the rules of bridge.  I got called by Mr bun the baker and squirtle.  Some people call with anything
  • edited February 2013
    has to be some sort of raise for me preflop even if its a min raise. If i limp with a hand like that I dont want people limping behind me with a rag ace or king. plus by limping in and playing against the blinds its harder to put them on a hand. if you raise pre and someone calls it's easier to put them on a ace or a king should one of them hit the flop.

Plus at least if i raise and still get beat I can console myself that whoever called probably shouldnt have, i got outdrew and was just unlucky!
  • edited February 2013
    Dont slow play with 9 bigs.

Shove your whole range imo
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: Limp in with Queens UTG on tight table?:
    Tight table with cenachav & geldy on it?.....they both shove if dealt one of the jokers in the pack. :) As for the hand......limping is the worse option IMO. If you min raise to something like x 2.2BB and it gets folded round, so be it.Yes you want action but not the wrong action which you left yourself open for.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    lol aye they were playing tight as!

Having thought about it everyones spot on, I should have just shipped with the stack I had 9 or so bb.

• edited February 2013
    Agree with everyone else ship it pre. If you're so short stacked you should be shoving way wider than this too. If they truly are a nitty table you'll pick up lots of blinds most of the time.