You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why, God?

edited December 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
This thing seems to happen to me alot.  I don't have any particular question to go with this post, I just want to share my suffering with the world...  Come on, how can she call that?  Btw when I go all-in I'm not playing my gutshot strongly, I see it as a stone-cold bluff...
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
fido1616 Small blind   50.00 50.00 1870.00
Wilhelm Big blind   100.00 150.00 2660.00
  Your hole cards

snowy777 Raise   200.00 350.00 3360.00
tony2scoop Fold        
fido1616 Call   150.00 500.00 1720.00
Wilhelm Call   100.00 600.00 2560.00
Flop

fido1616 Check        
Wilhelm Check        
snowy777 Bet   600.00 1200.00 2760.00
fido1616 Fold        
Wilhelm All-in   2560.00 3760.00 0.00
snowy777 Call   1960.00 5720.00 800.00
Wilhelm Show

snowy777 Show
  • A
  • K

Turn

River

• J

snowy777 Win Ace high 5720.00   6520.00

Comments

• edited December 2009
    WHICH SHOULD HAVE GOT THROUGH!!!
  • edited December 2009
    You went all in after the flop, with that board and the raises pre flop they obviously thought you missed. sometimes when you bet all in like that it wreaks of bluff and they called it thinking hit A or K a win,even miss a win, maybe had u on a AQ AJ, it happens all the time. im not saying it is the correct call, but in certain circumstances it happens - like this lol
  • edited December 2009
    And some people just can't fold AK
  • edited December 2009

I bet when it came up saying ..

" you were eliminated in *** position, close table? watch table? "

U were asking urself whyyyy oh whyyyyy didn't I fold pre flop? lol

Gud call by ur oppo!

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    You don't say what type of game it is.
    The caller had a big chip stack and was obviously a good player and having the luck in the game.
    Calling with 2 bad cards to start with is not a thing I would do and after missing the flop I certainly would not go all-in with 8 high. Perhaps the caller had a good read on your playing style and called knowing that they had a good chance of winning the hand.
  • edited December 2009
    u pushed all in on the flop with 8 high very bad move but then good call by the other player
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Why, God?:
    u pushed all in on the flop with 8 high very bad move but then good call by the other player
    Posted by scrumdown
    I think you're looking at this very narrowly.  My reads tell me she has two high cards and is c-betting.  With that my holdings are irrelevant.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Why, God? : I think you're looking at this very narrowly.  My reads tell me she has two high cards and is c-betting.  With that my holdings are irrelevant.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    *With that in mind my holdings are irrelevant.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Why, God? : *With that in mind my holdings are irrelevant.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    Your read on him was fine, and the resulting play was apropriate.

His read on you was fine, and his resulting call was apropriate.

It seems harsh but u were quite simply outplayed.

Wether the skill level and thought processes in this particular hand were of a high standard, I'm not so sure. But u cudnt do anymore to win the hand (cudda folded pre and accepted it wasnt gonna happen), and he cudnt do anymore to win the hand, so theres surely no complaints?

Maybe u shud consider if the player is capable of folding before asking him the question??

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    willhelm no offence but some of your plays make me wanna play with you, why oh why are you calling a raise with 83? bad play mate and god knows why you would wanna post that?
  • edited December 2009
    willhelm no offence but some of your plays make me wanna play with you, why oh why are you calling a raise with 83? bad play mate and god knows why you would wanna post that?
    Posted by webby234
    I called because I was getting 5-1 and I posted because once I've blown my roll there's not much left to do on this site...
  • edited December 2009
    What about this one?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    king675 Small blind   25.00 25.00 1150.00
    BOBBO1985 Big blind   50.00 75.00 5425.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

Wilhelm Raise   150.00 225.00 1880.00
    trigg3r18 Call   150.00 375.00 1415.00
    boot Call   150.00 525.00 1605.00
    king675 Fold        
    BOBBO1985 Raise   300.00 825.00 5125.00
    Wilhelm All-in   1880.00 2705.00 0.00
    trigg3r18 Fold        
    boot Fold        
    BOBBO1985 Call   1680.00 4385.00 3445.00
    BOBBO1985 Show
    • J

Wilhelm Show
    • A

Flop

• J

Turn

River

BOBBO1985 Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 10s 4385.00   7830.00
  • edited December 2009
    I guess it is similar to what I posted in another thread of yours Wilhelm, is that it can also come down to the image that other players have on yourself.

Its the one thing I sometimes struggle with when the anlaysts go through a hand on sky poker in that they look at a hand in isolation ( altho I have noted more and more that they are putting caveats on their analysis).

Webby has touched on it slightly, in that we see two hands here where you have gone all in in an attempt to bully someone off a hand (forget what cards they have played for the moment).

Now anyone reading this post who plays you in a game sees you make an all in move will think aha Wilhelm likes to throw chips into the pot to get me off a hand. Yes its onyl two hands that we see, but in both those games what image have you presented, are those players sitting there thinking hmm this guy has made this move 2 or 3 or more  times already in this tourny, next time he does it, if i have a half decent hand and I have the chip stack, I will call him to see what he is playing to keep him honest ( i admit that this is maybe more of a cash philosophy than a tourny).

Aslo has mentioned by Dohhh and Achill, some people struggle to put down hands like AK pocket pairs etc and thus you need to think about the type of player you are against before making such a move, are they capable of making folds to big bets on what has to be considered a fairly innocuous flop.

With the first hand, there was a danger that with you being on the BB, you could have hit the flop, but I think the other player put you on a low flush draw, and possibly due to your play in previous hands (note I'm only guessing in respect of this), decided to make a stand.

The second hand posted I'm struggling a little bit more on, although all of the above applies. However he is a big chip leader, and even if he loses the pot, he will be in second place with a stack double of that of third.

You make a 3BB raise, so he puts you on two high cards, pocket pair, we get 2 callers, and he then makes a min raise, to which your response is to go all in, raising the pot 2 1/4 times that is a big overbet.

He probably discounts you having aces or kings maybe even queens. Jacks and tens he probably thinks your initial raise would have been slightly higher, so that leaves you on 2 high cards small pocket pair or a total bluff. Now this player has 2 1/2 times more chips than anyone else, so im guessing he is either aggressive, or else likes to see flops and has got lucky with his hands, but I think he's gone into that hand knowing that even if he loses he is still comfortably in second place, and probably feels that he is good enough to get his chips back from the other players.

Is it a call I would have made. Right there and then at the table with no info on yourself then no I'd fold it, but in the cold light of day depending on what type of tourny it is then its a play I could consider, if I felt confident enough that should I lose the hand, I have enough game in me compared to the rest of the players at the table.

Im sure that if Tikay comes on and posts, he will make a comment about playing a very weak holding out of position

Aski :)
  • edited December 2009

You seem like you have a good understanding of your oppo range in these hands, but your plays show your ignorance of the way they percieve you and your range. Maybe you need to concentrate on making your plays believable, not just by playing the individual hands differently but also tightening your table image as a whole. Your overall image along with a believable line in the hand will help it get through

• edited December 2009
    skipping all the TLDR posts it just looks like you're overplaying marginal hands whether you're actually ahead of your villain or not.