You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tikay strategy guide to cashing in a deepstack.

edited December 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
  Just thought i would put this one up after cashing in a deep stack today.
Ok so here is the story.

8 runners so only 2 get paid.  I take quite a hit early on with an AQ and go down to about 3500 chips so i decide to play even tighter than normal. The tables were quite aggressive and we were down to the final 6 with the blinds still at 30/60.

From this point i barely played a hand and soon we were down to 4, 3 big stacks and me with the tiny one.A couple of times i got quite low and got much needed double ups both through the same guy. I just sat back and sat back and soon i was heads up with me on 3000 and the chip leader on 37000. Sufficed to stay i didnt stand a chance and got second.

But the thing to note for any player interested in the deep stacks is that after that initial hit my stack never got above 5000 again. Passivity and lack of aggression may not win these but it can get you a cash. My inspiration for this cash was Tikay after watching him fold away all the time in the deep stacks.

Probably not the most interesting play or thread either but for me it was fulfilling watching the aggressive players turn on eachother and help me cash.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    out of interest how much did you cash for in relationship to the buy in?

can you really justify that as a winning strategy to playing an 8 man deepstack, you already state you almost disregard the win as a possibility, also that you had to double through twice when you got short.... so you have to jeapordise your stack pre flop at one or many points on route to HU, only to give your self a shot at 2nd.

I would rather utilise the amount of chips in play earlier on, backing my skill over the rest of the field.
  • edited December 2009

I wud echo the comments of Hugo, although I know what you mean about Tikays tactics in these. I've only played one and was on his table all the way thru, didn't see him move a chip then all of a sudden hes at the FT. Amazing stuff.

Not the way i'd go about it like, it worked this time but how often is it gonna be a successful strategy?
    Big stacks rnt always gonna go bonkers and take eachother on. Probably more likely to work in bigger fields when more places r paid.

WD 4 cashing, DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Tikay strategy guide to cashing in a deepstack.:
    out of interest how much did you cash for in relationship to the buy in? can you really justify that as a winning strategy to playing an 8 man deepstack, you already state you almost disregard the win as a possibility, also that you had to double through twice when you got short.... so you have to jeapordise your stack pre flop at one or many points on route to HU, only to give your self a shot at 2nd. I would rather utilise the amount of chips in play earlier on, backing my skill over the rest of the field.
    Posted by royal_hugo
      Firstly i never disregarded the win at all, possibly my choice of words but was just saying that i lost when outchipped 12 to 1.
     Secondly until heads up i never went all in preflop. My double throughs were done by betting on the flop when i knew i was a long way ahead.

And as to whether this was the best strategy maybe, maybe not. But you can not win unless you can get to heads up and this strategy got me there
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Tikay strategy guide to cashing in a deepstack. :   Firstly i never disregarded the win at all, possibly my choice of words but was just saying that i lost when outchipped 12 to 1.  Secondly until heads up i never went all in preflop. My double throughs were done by betting on the flop when i knew i was a long way ahead.  And as to whether this was the best strategy maybe, maybe not. But you can not win unless you can get to heads up and this strategy got me there
    Posted by Talon

I know but you can all but disregard the win when the stacks are 12:1

My point was just that it is more profitable to win this twice and OOTM the 5 times, rather than 2nd 4 times and OOTM 3 times. I would say this strategy would suit a deepstack mtt, but certainly not 8 man.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Tikay strategy guide to cashing in a deepstack. : I know but you can all but disregard the win when the stacks are 12:1 My point was just that it is more profitable to win this twice and OOTM the 5 times, rather than 2nd 4 times and OOTM 3 times. I would say this strategy would suit a deepstack mtt, but certainly not 8 man.
    Posted by royal_hugo
      You seem to be missing the point of my thread. I was saying that after i took the early setback and evaluated the play on the tables i changed to this strategy. I did not go into the tourny with that strategy in mind. I reassessed and ground out a cash from a bad situation that i had got myself into.

Your point would be fine if it had been my intent all along but it never was. I believe that i played the tourny brilliantly in the respect that i altered my strategy to fit the conditions and my opponents didnt. If they had changed from their super aggressive play then my strategy would have failed miserably. I am one who firmly believes in playing the table and the players not just playing to a set style. Chances are that my next deep stack will see me playing in a different style.
    All i am trying to say is that sometimes grinding and folding can be a profitable style but only if the other players allow you to take the advantages of it.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Tikay strategy guide to cashing in a deepstack. :   You seem to be missing the point of my thread. I was saying that after i took the early setback and evaluated the play on the tables i changed to this strategy. I did not go into the tourny with that strategy in mind. I reassessed and ground out a cash from a bad situation that i had got myself into.   Your point would be fine if it had been my intent all along but it never was. I believe that i played the tourny brilliantly in the respect that i altered my strategy to fit the conditions and my opponents didnt. If they had changed from their super aggressive play then my strategy would have failed miserably. I am one who firmly believes in playing the table and the players not just playing to a set style. Chances are that my next deep stack will see me playing in a different style. All i am trying to say is that sometimes grinding and folding can be a profitable style but only if the other players allow you to take the advantages of it.
    Posted by Talon
    that seems pretty valid, cheers for explaining yourself ;)
  • edited December 2009
    Very interesting.  Lots of new players to deepstack tournies would do well to read this and take note.
  • edited December 2009
    well done talon sometimes when u get big hits on your chip stack u have to change your game plan and it work for you