You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The 'Best Advice I Can Give You Is...' Thread

I thought it would be a nice idea to have a thread which was a friendly advice thread to some of the newer players out there. Imagine you went back to the day you first began playing online poker; what things would you want to have known then that you know now? 

The aim is to have the best advice in simple bullet points for the rest of the community. That's what Sky Poker is all about, right?

I'll get things rolling...

The best advice I can give you is...

Play within your means. Poker is a game, and as much as we love it and want to be the very best we can, we have to keep it in perspective. Only play with what you can afford to lose, play hard when you do and leave no regrets at the table. You'll be a much better player for it.

Comments

• edited December 2009
      Chat to the other players on the table. There are some great people on these tables. It is nice to make new friends and some of these nice people will even pick out perceived weaknesses in your game to help you improve
  • edited December 2009
    Remember, position, position, position :)
  • edited December 2009

show respect + play within your means.

look to adjust, develop and advance from your experiences.

• edited December 2009
    Watch good players and see how they win. Its ok to have your own style, like you may think limping in hoping to see a cheap flop makes sense but ask yourself why none of the better players do it. If theres someone making more money than me i want to know how theyre doing it.

Be honest with yourself. Its easy to blame everything on you being the unluckiest player in the world, or donkeys constantly sucking out on you but thats why pokers so profitable, because the people who do that never bother to correct their mistakes so they never get better
  • edited December 2009
    Never ever play with 'scared money'. It affects ur judgement, ur natural game and the enjoyment of playing poker will quickly go. Bankroll management is the key to having a long, successful poker career.
  • edited December 2009
    Firstly, play to enjoy the game.
    Secondly, play within your means, if you can afford to play at medium levels then do so, but dont be afraid to drop back levels if you struggle.
    Thirdly, watch players who are successful, they are for a reason.
    Fourthly, find a good player and get them to mentor you.

col
  • edited December 2009
    i cant really afford to play poker but love the game, my ambition is to be able to raise enough money from freeroll winnings when i get some points to win money and buy into the primo, my current points is 4 and balance is zero, here's hoping lol
  • edited December 2009

As above:

Enjoy your poker

Only play with what you are comfortably happy to lose - playing with scared money affects your thought process and common sense decision making.

Try raising and folding more and calling less!!!

Always think about which position you are in before you make your play.

Try and remeber/ take notes on how people play/ what hands they won with/ 3bet with/ pushed all in with etc.

Watch some of the regulars on here playing at 1/2 and above. 

Finally if none of this works.... be lucky!! (Works for me!)

• edited December 2009

be hand selective observe the table i know u playing on line but the tells are there dont chase your draws all the time

• edited December 2009
    How to win at poker:
    1. Play the person not the cards.
    2. Avoid kicker trouble.
    3. Don't bluff poor players.
    4. Get your bet sizes right.
    5. Avoid Fancy Play Syndrome.

only allowed one though, so it's:

if you've got the best hand, then raise; if you've got the worst hand, then fold. If you're unsure, then fold anyway.

Basic but usually true!
  • edited December 2009
  • edited December 2009
    . If you're unsure, then fold anyway. Basic but usually true!
    Posted by BigBluster

come and play with me !!! :)
  • edited December 2009
    always raise to the blinds if they're 'away' and no limpers behind you - they auto fold.
  • edited December 2009
    not them sneaky 1s who's sat there waiting for A,2 though...
  • edited December 2009

Discuss. Do Research on Strategy. Have Patience!

Discussion- Its always interesting to find out how other people would have played a certain situation, so discussing on the forum can help your game, even if you think you have the right answers, someone else may come up with something you didn't even think of...

Research - I recommend Gus Hansen - Every Hand Revealed or Doyles - Super System.... Super System explains basic strategy, the concept of postion, pot odds, etc... Gus' book explains how he put's strategy into practise and how he adjusts to the situations... also his thought process when making important decisions!
    Doyle Brunson recons he could win playing without cards from the button.. if thats how valuable position is to a poker legend, Do you think your better firing out of position with lesser hands?

Having Patience is cruicial.. If in doubt.. chuck 'em out!

Poker takes 5 minutes to learn, a lifetime to master.. and until you fully understand basic strategy.. you'll never improve! 

A talent makes a good fold no one else can make
    A genius makes a good fold no one else can see...

• edited December 2009
    best advice i can give you is never over play jj, they are men and are good for nothing!
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: The 'Best Advice I Can Give You Is...' Thread:
    best advice i can give you is never over play jj, they are men and are good for nothing!
    Posted by chels
    except for 1 time in 10 lol
  • edited December 2009
    Ace rag is junk

and

bankroll management!

Play over your means and risk chasing your losses from it, eventually ending up in bankruptcy ;)
  • edited December 2009
    The problem is not : Playing poker
    The problem is : not playing poker
  • edited December 2009
    Practice for a long time with play chips before gambling real money.
  • edited December 2009
    Play HU PLO for your roll.
    Make a thread about it.
    Be epic.