You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Min raising heads up on button

edited February 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

Was watching a high stakes heads up game last night on here, And this guy kept min raising on button.
What are the advantages to this strategy? Playing more pots in position yes, but surely miss value
on premium hands, getting 3bet etc 

Thanks

Comments

• edited February 2013
    It really depends how deep you are, cash is a bit different but in SnGs and MTTs it is almost always best to min-raise.

You're gonna be raising ALOT of buttons so you want to do it as cheap as possible so that it's cheaper  if you fold to a 3bet, an opponents 3bet will be smaller and so you have more room to call in position and still have enough chips to play poker. Your success rate of stealing the BB is lower to be +EV when you raise smaller.

Basically, in general smaller pots preflop means more play postflop and if yuo're a good player then a lot of your edge will be postflop.

For instance, if i was 1000xBB deep against Lol_U_Fold, I'd probably get completely crushed. If I was 15xBB deep V Lol_U_Fold then it's anyone's game because he has lost a massive edge by not being able to play post flop poker.
  • edited February 2013
    If you are playing a wide range of hands, which you probably should be heads up, although you will be getting more money in the pot with premium hands if you are 3xing pre, you will be putting alot in the pot with the marginal hands and junk that you are playing as well which accounts for more hands than the premium hands. This is obviously assuming you are not changing your raise size based on your hand strength as that will give the opponent an advantage if they are half competent. Also position is massively important, so if you are minraising alot of pots in position players often defend a very wide and then you have an instant advantage.
  • edited February 2013
    Great answers guys!

Thanks a bunch