You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

D.Y.Ms (Do Your Maths)

edited February 2013 in Poker Chat
I was watching the Sky Poker TV Channel the other day and our Sky Poker Sponsored Pro Julian "YoYo" Thew was asked if he used the maths as part of his decision making.

Julian has had some great successes and some very nice cashes recently and throughout his career, so I was a somewhat surprised to hear him admit that he wasn't too great with the poker maths and mainly relied on his instinct to make decisions.

I suppose his vast amount of experience playing live has taught him how to read the table & players (along with his "Run like Thewey" table image) but how important is the maths?

Do we get to a stage in our poker playing career where knowing the maths is less important than say our ability to play poker or our ablity to read a player or table?

Sometimes I see & hear players saying "How can you call there" and the likes.....and tbh I very rarely answer them because I usually play the hand using my own instinct (rightly or wrongly) and probably would'nt be able to explain my call using the maths in any case.

Is it worth while spending time learning the maths and how important is it to you in your game?   

Comments

• edited February 2013
    i may have to leave sky poker,and go and do a maths degree,will see you in 10 years time or maybe longer.xxxxxx
  • edited February 2013
    I've read a lot of posts on here where there is a lot of maths involved , but it just confuses the hell out of me !
    As a recreational player i don't have the time or inclination to get that deep into it.

I just enjoy it !
  • edited February 2013
    As some know i have qualifications in pure mathematics and although i do work percentages out from time to time its not as much as you would think and a lot of my process is based on the dynamics of the game and instinct :)
  • edited February 2013
    I had a lecture on instinct a couple of months ago that made me think about this, i rarely if ever directly work out maths when i'm playing and also can get lost when seeing some of the answers in the clinic. Personally i think poker instinct is just an unconscious accumulation of all the information you are taking in when your playing poker which includes math to a degree but not to an extremely high level. For example you roughly know how many outs you have and the chance of hitting if your on a draw, or the percentage of the time you will be ahead but your not directly working this out, your brain is just processing all this information and the different variables and those with years of experience or very good natural processing ability, appear to posses some kind of unique magical ability to be brilliant but in truth there unconscious processing of all the information available in regards to any given poker situation is just very well honed and that leads to decisions being consistently good. So when we get to the river and our instincts are screaming at us that we are good, it's not some kind of magical ability but merely the accumulation of information in regards to the hand that has been unconsciously worked out to be statistically more likely to be a good decision than a bad decision. Obviously that is not to disregard maths in anyway, more just an explanation of feel players who seem to do very well playing the game, i'm sure i read that doyle brunson is much more a feel player, which obviously would suggest he has great instincts as a result of his years of playing poker. Didn''t mean to write so much just got on a ramble as i find this subject quite interesting.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to Re: D.Y.Ms (Do Your Maths):
    I had a lecture on instinct a couple of months ago that made me think about this, i rarely if ever directly work out maths when i'm playing and also can get lost when seeing some of the answers in the clinic. Personally i think poker instinct is just an unconscious accumulation of all the information you are taking in when your playing poker which includes math to a degree but not to an extremely high level. For example you roughly know how many outs you have and the chance of hitting if your on a draw, or the percentage of the time you will be ahead but your not directly working this out, your brain is just processing all this information and the different variables and those with years of experience or very good natural processing ability, appear to posses some kind of unique magical ability to be brilliant but in truth there unconscious processing of all the information available in regards to any given poker situation is just very well honed and that leads to decisions being consistently good. So when we get to the river and our instincts are screaming at us that we are good, it's not some kind of magical ability but merely the accumulation of information in regards to the hand that has been unconsciously worked out to be statistically more likely to be a good decision than a bad decision. Obviously that is not to disregard maths in anyway, more just an explanation of feel players who seem to do very well playing the game, i'm sure i read that doyle brunson is much more a feel player, which obviously would suggest he has great instincts as a result of his years of playing poker. Didn''t mean to write so much just got on a ramble as i find this subject quite interesting.
    Posted by benc
    Very good post, bolded bit for me is key. I think when you start out you should get an understanding of the maths but at a rough and ready level.
  • edited February 2013
    There is a big difference between your "Instinct" and "Feeling lucky" this is a line that can easily be crossed, and if it's crossed too many times you will become a serious losing player. Although maybe not obvious to you at first your instinct will be maths based somewhere along the line.

Your instinct is your instant logical thought. i.e Should I go with this FD I'm facing half a pot bet and I have 1/4 of the chance to hit, but if the oppo is very loose and you have reads you know if you hit that you can more than make up for the speculative call. However if you are facing a tight reg who will sniff out if you river a flush and won't pay out off then your instinct should tell you it isn't worth the call.

Feeling lucky, is you saying to yourself I am going with this FD what ever the price as I feel lucky, so you may call pot bets and even all in's because you "Feel lucky" you're going to hit.

• edited February 2013
    Ah, I think my post is pretty much what Benc is saying... Although I couldn't read that wall of text. You may be good at maths but put some paragraphs in there big man! :-)
  • edited February 2013
    Posted by benc
    Great post benc.
    Your right, I suppose I am using some of the maths without really thinking about it too much.

I play darts on a Thursday night and although I always know exactly what to throw for when i'm looking for a 3 dart finish, its not because i've worked out the maths. For instance, if I need 137 with 3 darts, I automatically know I have to throw for treble 19 (57) treble 16 (48) and then finish on double 16 (32).

Under pressure I couldn't tell you what 3 x 17 was, but in a split second if you asked me what treble 17 was on a dartboard I would tell you it was 51.      

• edited February 2013
    I don`t really rely on the maths side too much either myself defo part of my game I like to improve though.

I think you will need to learn the basics likes the odds of hitting flush draw on the turn/river and what your pots odds your getting etc but yeah when I play live you just get a feeling sometimes that i`m good here I should call story does not make sense, I should just 3bet shove here they look weak etc.

+1 to benc post
  • edited February 2013
    There is a big difference between your "Instinct" and "Feeling lucky" this is a line that can easily be crossed, and if it's crossed too many times you will become a serious losing player. Although maybe not obvious to you at first your instinct will be maths based somewhere along the line. Your instinct is your instant logical thought. i.e Should I go with this FD I'm facing half a pot bet and I have 1/4 of the chance to hit, but if the oppo is very loose and you have reads you know if you hit that you can more than make up for the speculative call. However if you are facing a tight reg who will sniff out if you river a flush and won't pay out off then your instinct should tell you it isn't worth the call. Feeling lucky, is you saying to yourself I am going with this FD what ever the price as I feel lucky, so you may call pot bets and even all in's because you "Feel lucky" you're going to hit.
    Posted by FlashFlush

Using your instinct doesn't necessarily mean that your gonna be chasing draws,or playing ugly cards,it can actually help,when it tells you to fold.

• edited February 2013
    Yeah.

I just used that as an example
  • edited February 2013
    lol sorry flash i have a habit of not breaking up my sentences when i'm rambling as those who have seen my diary will know. Liam i don't play live that much but would assume in live poker it's even more important as the couple of examples you mention would also involve aload of other variables such as body language, voice tone how they put there chips in the pot etc.

"Under pressure I couldn't tell you what 3 x 17 was, but in a split second if you asked me what treble 17 was on a dartboard I would tell you it was 51"

I have often wondered whether this is similar to the guys that are very maths orientated, like they are able to do the calculations they write in the clinic almost at an instant without having to go through every step they explain when describing how they make there decisions. Would love to hear from some of the more math orientated players..
  • edited February 2013
    I have found myself going against my instinct from time to time ie Not folding when I think I should.

I realised that part of the problem was making my decisions too quickly and the reason I was doing this was because I constantly had my hand on my mouse.

I now take my hand off the mouse after every action (Unless i'm Multitabling) and find those extra couple of seconds actually make my decisions better. (I'm still losing, just losing less :)
  • edited February 2013
    maffs pretty joke important for MTTs/DYMs/final tables, short stacked play etc.

most of it is done as homework and these figures help you judge the correct decisions when in similar spots down the line.

you DONT have to be any good at maths to understand the mathematics of poker.
  • edited February 2013
    Haven't read much beyond benc's post. He pretty much says it all.

Julian Thew knows that if he has A5 and his opponent has AK, he's a 30% chance pre-flop. He knows that his flush draw is 20% on the turn. He doesn't need to work out the maths of these things.

Playing on "instinct" with the knowledge of these things is different to some novice calling because he can "feel" a 7 is going to come, lol. Experienced players "instincts" are based on a knowledge of the game that is not instinctual, it is honed and practiced, as benc says.

With that said, a knowledge of how to quickly and roughly work out your pot odds is very important. It just doesn't need to be perfect to within ten decimal places or anywhere near it. Most of it can be done from memory.

I may occasionally be guilty of putting a bit too much maths in clinic posts. Apologies.
  • edited February 2013
    Agree with the above posts instinct and maths are pretty linked the more you play the more it becomes pretty automatic bit like driving a car really.
    Its imo a good idea to get a basic grip on the maths early ie knowing flush draw and straight draw odds ie approx 40% on flop when you are 4 to a flush and 32% to hit str8 when open ended to a straight draw on flop as a general rule think of each out you have as 2% on each card to come for eg
    qk spades on a 10 j 4 flop with 2 spades then you would work out your flush outs to the river
    ie 9 times2 times 2 =38
    straight draw outs 6 times 2 times 2 (spades dont count) =24
    overcards to flop ie other 2 kings and queens 4 times 2 times 2 =16
    and adding the 3 together that makes possibly 19 outs or 78% to win the hand if you are against top pair not counting your opponents outs.
    Obviously thats an extreme example and most players would know that they would be willing to get em all in there but being able to quickly calculate your outs in a rough fashion helps your long term win rate particularly the more you play and if multitabling.
    A lot of top grinders and really good mtt players play purely using maths thats why so many of the new young breed are dominating the live scene they know to the exact %age every hand they play and any slight mathematical edge they have they will commit all there chips which takes a lot of the old instinct and player reading out of the game which has totally changed the game over the last few years making it tougher for recreational players to win big events
  • edited February 2013
    Agree with the above posts instinct and maths are pretty linked the more you play the more it becomes pretty automatic bit like driving a car really. Its imo a good idea to get a basic grip on the maths early ie knowing flush draw and straight draw odds ie approx 40% on flop when you are 4 to a flush and 32% to hit str8 when open ended to a straight draw on flop as a general rule think of each out you have as 2% on each card to come for eg qk spades on a 10 j 4 flop with 2 spades then you would work out your flush outs to the river ie 9 times2 times 2 =38 straight draw outs 6 times 2 times 2 (spades dont count) =24 overcards to flop ie other 2 kings and queens 4 times 2 times 2 =16 and adding the 3 together that makes possibly 19 outs or 78% to win the hand if you are against top pair not counting your opponents outs. Obviously thats an extreme example and most players would know that they would be willing to get em all in there but being able to quickly calculate your outs in a rough fashion helps your long term win rate particularly the more you play and if multitabling. A lot of top grinders and really good mtt players play purely using maths thats why so many of the new young breed are dominating the live scene they know to the exact %age every hand they play and any slight mathematical edge they have they will commit all there chips which takes a lot of the old instinct and player reading out of the game which has totally changed the game over the last few years making it tougher for recreational players to win big events
    Posted by gixxerk4
    Hi gixxer
    Thanks for your post and a very well explained example of the maths.