You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

River play thoughts please

edited February 2013 in The Poker Clinic
What do we think of the shove hear was thinking any ace calls a few possible jacks that i beat and only losing to a baldy played kj, j10 (extremly unlikely) and qj presuming kk qq or jj plays differentsly. I think this gets called enough by hands we beat to make it profitable what are the thoughts. Villian is an unknown havent seen him open many pots before.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
paolo20 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £33.07
jams88 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £19.80
  Your hole cards

Bergman Fold        
70theo Fold        
Boyler8 Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £20.10
paolo20 Fold        
Villian
Call   £0.40 £1.30 £19.40
Flop

• J
  • K

jams88 Check        
Villian
Check        
Turn

• J

jams88 Bet   £1.30 £2.60 £18.10
Villian
Call   £1.30 £3.90 £18.80
River

• Q

jams88 All-in   £18.10 £22.00 £0.00

Comments

• edited February 2013
    You labelled yourself as the villain in the pre-flop action. It's spelled VILLAIN by the way.

Can I assume that TT is the strongest hand you flat with pre-flop? You're 3-betting JJ?

Anyway, flop and turn seem alright. Obviously your turn bet is not too believable as anything other than a very strong hand, though. On the river, I don't mind an overbet but I wouldn't jam. I don't know how many players are going to call here hoping for a chop with just an Ace for their entire stack. We only have the underhouse, after all, so anything else that calls is going to be beating us..

I'd probably just make a regular value bet of about 3/4 pot and fold to a raise unless I think I'm playing a really weak player who overvalues the straight. Even then it's tough to call a raise. If I went for the overbet I wouldn't go more than about a fiver and definitely fold to a raise.
  • edited February 2013
    pre flop- i`m 3bettin in this spot

flop-as you just called pre think you have to check to let them c-bet but they don`t ul
    turn- is fine
    river- think I just bet normal for value bet like borin said make it like £3+
  • edited February 2013

You want value from your hand.

Like said above, i don't like the shove, I would put in an over pot sized bet, to extract value. The way you have played it, you'll be lucky if you are paid off here.

• edited February 2013
    If it was against a villain who you think can not fold the Ace there I like the shove. After all it only has to work maybe 1 time out of 6 for you to make the same as if betting £3 and being called everytime but of course you can look pretty silly if they have 10J.
  • edited February 2013

why aren't we 3betting pre? 

shoving otr ONLY gets called by hands that beat us if villain is competent, and if he's not competent then pre is a snap 3bet. 

if villain called with an A then it's truly horrendous. we should just b/f the river. villain could so easily have JQ the way the hand has played, and he's never calling us with 2p or anything. really don't like this 
  • edited February 2013
    preflop i'll 3bet here sometimes and flat sometimes. Not sure of villians opening range as he hasn't been opening much so i presume it is reasonably strong and flat. hate 3betting 10s then having to fold to a 4bet.

I think i agree its abit of a yuky bet on the end i think i would end up bet/calling aginst an unknown tbh rather than managing to bet fold may be a leak of mine.
  • edited February 2013
    yeah, if you think about the range of hands that could call us, an A is possibly I suppose, but most of the hands that will call us are hands that have us beat. I blame the 15 seconds sky gives, a time bank wouldve helped u. *hint*