You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

lost my hand i never knew what the best thing to do i lost my whole buy in

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic

bajan Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £16.47
docster Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £7.92
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

danboy22 Raise  £0.24 £0.36 £4.08
Carnage Fold     
bajan Raise  £0.36 £0.72 £16.11
docster Fold     
danboy22 Raise  £0.80 £1.52 £3.28
bajan Call  £0.64 £2.16 £15.47
Flop

bajan Check     
danboy22 Bet  £2.16 £4.32 £1.12
bajan Raise  £4.32 £8.64 £11.15
danboy22 All-in  £1.12 £9.76 £0.00
bajan Unmatched bet  £1.04 £8.72 £12.19
bajan Show
  • Q
  • Q

danboy22 Show
  • J
  • J

Turn

River

bajan Win Two Pairs, Queens and 5s £8.06  £20.25

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Well, you've not provided us with any of your thoughts and reasons for what you've done. So to give any helpful advice we need to know:

1) What sort of hands are you raising with pre-flop? Is it just JJ and other big hands or are you raising lots of different hands? Do you limp any hands?

2) What sort of hands do you think your opponent can have when he 3-bets? Does he 3-bet often or is this something that happens once in a blue moon?

3) What were your reasons for 4-betting pre-flop? Were you trying to get all the money in at this stage? What sort of hands do you think this opponent will get all of his money in with?

4) What was your reasoning for betting full pot on the flop?

Give us that information and we can help. Writing it all out will probably help you to think about the game, too.
  • edited March 2013
    i never limp in but i raised and reraised pre flop to maybe get it all in pre and with the flat call after reraise i put him on a/k a/q and thought he missed on the flop and wanted him to fold on the flop incase he caught an ace i thought with qq he would get it all in pre so never thought he had that at all
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: lost my hand i never knew what the best thing to do i lost my whole buy in:
    i never limp in but i raised and reraised pre flop to maybe get it all in pre and with the flat call after reraise i put him on a/k a/q and thought he missed on the flop and wanted him to fold on the flop incase he caught an ace i thought with qq he would get it all in pre so never thought he had that at all
    Posted by danboy22
    The highlighted portions are an issue:

If we think that he's going to flat call our pre-flop 4-bet with AK and AQ but 5-bets all-in with QQ, then our idea of 4-betting to get it in is a mistake. We want to get it in but think the only hands that our opponent gets it in with are hands that we're a 20:80 underdog against.

In fact, if we believe that we narrow our opponents range down to just these big pairs or two overcard hands by 4-betting, then we shouldn't 4-bet at all. We don't want to force him to fold hands we beat while only continuing with hands that either beat us or are flipping with us.

So if we think he's 3-betting with hands other than those big hands, but folds those weaker hands to a 4-bet, then we should just call that 3-bet to play in position and hopefully extract more value from those weaker hands.

If we think his 3-betting range is really narrow, so he only 3-bets the strongest hands, then we can flat-call to set-mine with Jacks. Often people will think that's bad because Jacks are such a big hand but if we think our opponent can only have better hands, then JJ is only as strong as 22. As long as we have good implied odds (both we and our opponent have lots of money behind) we can set-mine.

The reason I ask what type of hands you're raising with is that, if our raising range is only big pairs and two high cards, then our opponent's 3-betting range will be stronger. If we are raising with a wide range, perhaps including hands like JT, 89, low pocket pairs, then our opponent's 3-betting range can be weaker.

Regarding the reasoning for the flop bet: If we think our opponent probably has something like AK or AQ or some other weaker hand than ours, we don't want them to fold without putting more money into the pot. We can't afford to be afraid that an Ace or King will come because that won't happen as often as they don't come. So we need to make a bet that encourages our opponent to put more money in the middle with a weaker hand and a big, full-pot bet here doesn't do that.

On the contrary, this full-pot bet actually makes it really easy for our opponent to play against us: If he has a weaker hand, it's easy for him to fold because he knows he can't bluff and if he has a stronger hand than ours, it's really easy for him to go all-in because he knows we can't fold.

If you make the flop bet smaller, he might try bluffing you or he might call with worse hands.
  • edited March 2013
    pre flop im just flatting his 3-bet,im only betting 1/2 to 2/3 of pot otf,i wnat to keep hands in that im beating,and extract more value on later streets.
    when u put a pot size bet in,and then he c/raises,alarm bells should ring,as you only have £1.12 in it goes.
    you have over inflated the pot on the flop.when u make pot size bet,basically your only gettin action from a hand thats crushes you,maybe 10,s or 99s at this level,but going back to pre flop,then wouldnt be putting them on a weaker pair,so when they c/raise im folding.

so when u think ive come this far i really have to call,youve just given your oppo another 26 bbs,free.

fold and live to play some more and get ur chips back.

If we have the view its only £4 ive lost,maybe we shouldnt be playing cash.
  • edited March 2013

If you learn one thing from this hand, then that should be oppo sizing pre

o and the fact that they flat your 4 bet