You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I think i played this terribly

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
This was from a session i was playing earlier and i was going through my losing hands and this was the top one, when i flopped the set i figured i was ahead by a long way, so i gave a free card. This the first point i think i should've done differently on a board with a flush draw on it, but also the turn he bets and i call, should i be raising on this spot even though the turn looks like a blank, as i'm never putting anyone calling my raise with 3-2os.  Finally the river, i figured i have to call here as i'm not putting him on a hand thats beating me at all, at most i'm putting him on a set of fours made on the turn possibly maybe even 5's on the river.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceFreeFlopSmall blind £0.02£0.02£4.53bp01Big blind £0.04£0.06£1.01draper1991Big blind £0.04£0.10£3.41 Your hole cardsAA   dre136Fold    lozelle05Call £0.04£0.14£4.01draper1991Check    Dav56Raise £0.16£0.30£3.14FreeFlopFold    bp01Call £0.12£0.42£0.89lozelle05Fold    draper1991Call £0.12£0.54£3.29Flop  A9J   bp01Check    draper1991Check    Dav56Check    Turn  5   bp01Check    draper1991Bet £0.16£0.70£3.13Dav56Call £0.16£0.86£2.98bp01Fold    River  4   draper1991All-in £3.13£3.99£0.00Dav56All-in £2.98£6.97£0.00draper1991Unmatched bet £0.15£6.82£0.15draper1991Show32   Dav56ShowAA   draper1991WinStraight to the 5£6.30 £6.45

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Yeah i would definitely bet this flop, there are flush and straight draws possible, don't want to give people with a flush draw or Q10, K10 a free card to make their draws. I would have raised the turn as it looks a pretty safe card, none of the draws got there, and by just calling you're allowing the villian another chance to hit his draw, which he did. By raising, we can take the pot down right there, unless he's the sort of player who calls with gutshots and gets lucky lol.

• edited March 2013
    In fact, forget most of that, my opinion is quite results orientated since i know what the villian had haha.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: I think i played this terribly:
    In fact, forget most of that, my opinion is quite results orientated since i know what the villian had haha.
    Posted by skeg_poker
    I definitely agree with the fact i should've raised the flop, but in terms of the turn i didn't really put him on a draw, i figured a raise might scare off a weak pair of jacks, possibly even 4's on the turn, i'm never putting him on 3-2
  • edited March 2013
    bet the flop. you're getting called by soooooooooo many hands. missing out on huge value and you're letting everybody draw for free. 

as played altho i don't really like checking otf and raising ott as it's always a monster, i think we should here because it's 4nl and we're still getting called by all draws and we need to build the pot

as played, that's what happens ;-)
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: I think i played this terribly:
    bet the flop. you're getting called by soooooooooo many hands. missing out on huge value and you're letting everybody draw for free.  as played altho i don't really like checking otf and raising ott as it's always a monster, i think we should here because it's 4nl and we're still getting called by all draws and we need to build the pot as played, that's what happens ;-)
    Posted by percival09
    yeah i nearly always do this i read doh's guide and i've been playing like that, but i had a really bad session for beats so probably some tilt involved in my play as this was towards the end
  • edited March 2013
    I'd like a bigger pre-flop raise. With a poster and a limper, we should follow the 3x + 1 "rule" and make it 24p pre-flop.

This is actually a great flop for us to value bet because it hits so many hands in our opponents' ranges. If we think about the types of hands that people like to play, they're hands like two high cards, pocket pairs and suited connectors.

The two high cards are most likely and of those, hands like JT, QT, QJ and KJ have all hit while hands like KQ and KT are also gut shots that might call us. So betting gets value on this flop from all of those hands. If they're holding diamond suited connectors they'll call or perhaps even raise on this flop. If they're playing a hand that has missed like a low pair or low cards without diamonds, we don't lose any value by betting because they won't put more money in at any stage anyway (unless a miracle happens) so we don't need to worry about those. Obviously, if our opponent is holding a hand such as J9 or AJ, he's likely to stack off to us on this flop but might get scared if a bad card such as a diamond hits on the turn.

We also have to be aware that as the pre-flop raiser, it's expected of us that we will continuation bet. When we don't it can make other players suspicious, especially if we don't then fold to later aggression. If we then choose to raise a later street, it makes it look as though we flopped so big that we didn't want to bet and risk others folding.

So bet the flop for value. The three worst things that can happen by missing this bet are:

1) A card comes that scares our opponent into folding a hand that would have given us value on the flop. This could be a one or two-pair hand being scared by a diamond or a Ten. It could also be a draw that misses on the turn and doesn't want to call with just one card to come.

2) We allow a hand to catch up for free, such as a flush or straight.

3) We allow a scare card to come for our hand and end up folding the best hand.