You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should I have just called

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Its early stages in a MTT. 

Blinds are 50/100

I have pocket Queens.

seat to my right calls 100

I raise  to 300

The button raises to 800.

The guy on the button had been fairly active, I re raise all in, button calls.

He has Ace/King.

The flop leaves me ahead, with 4,7,J, rainbow board. I get rivered by a King.

Im thinking I should have flat called his 800 raise instead of going all in. He probably would have folded on the flop in this instance, although I would have been out of postion.

I also think if I call im not committing my entire stack so early in a MTT.

Is a call the right play in the long run or not?

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited March 2013
    It all depends on what your and opponants stack sizes were to start with but in general you dont want to be flat calling 3 bets out of position.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Should I have just called:
    Its early stages in a MTT.  Blinds are 50/100 I have pocket Queens. seat to my right calls 100 I raise  to 300 The button raises to 800. The guy on the button had been fairly active, I re raise all in, button calls. He has Ace/King. The flop leaves me ahead, with 4,7,J, rainbow board. I get rivered by a King. Im thinking I should have flat called his 800 raise instead of going all in. He probably would have folded on the flop in this instance, although I would have been out of postion. I also think if I call im not committing my entire stack so early in a MTT. Is a call the right play in the long run or not? Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
    Posted by KarlostheJ
    what is ur stack size? i pressume u have round a bout 20-30 bbs there for this is just a standard hand, and u played it perfect.
  • edited March 2013
    Yes, it all depends on the effective stack size. If you were playing 200BB, then getting it all-in pre-flop was probably bad. If you were playing 20BB then getting it all-in pre-flop is optimal.

The important thing to remember if you had called the 3-bet would be that it would be in order to extract value from a wider range, rather than 4-betting and forcing him to fold those hands in his 3-betting range that we beat. The thought that he might have folded on the flop if you'd called pre-flop, suggests that you are thinking in a results-oriented manner.

If the flop came Jack-high, we would want him to still put all of his money into the pot with a hand like AK, which we're a big favourite over. We don't want to force him to fold.
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks for the advice.

I was on around 30bb's (should have put that in original post)
  • edited March 2013
    nooo dont flat call the 3 bet like think about it, when you fla call the 3 bet you've decicated 800 of your 3000 stack, flop comes A 7 2 or something what now? you going to check/ fold? he could have like pocket 10 or w/e and push you off the hand , what you did is fine imo