You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was i at just as much fault as the villians

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic

know my stack size is so big if a min raise was done i would have called this hand preflop so i feel as thought that was a mistake to not min raise myself. one villian i know from expirience (x) is loose and passive he either limps or just min bets and if  reraised he will go as far as shoving right after the reraise if he held decent hands.
1.on the flop itself was it correct of me to check?
2. on the turn although i knew their was a straight should i still have made a small bet?
3. could i have got value any better on the river.

craigcu12 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £10.97
garner909 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.70
 Your hole cards
  • J

xCall  £0.04 £0.10 £3.95
yCall  £0.04 £0.14 £3.95
craigcu12 Call  £0.02 £0.16 £10.95
garner909 Check     
Flop

craigcu12 Check     
garner909 Check     
xCheck     
yCheck     
Turn

• J

craigcu12 Check     
garner909 Check     
xBet  £0.04 £0.20 £3.91
yCall  £0.04 £0.24 £3.91
craigcu12 Call  £0.04 £0.28 £10.91
garner909 Fold     
River

craigcu12 Bet  £0.21 £0.49 £10.70
xCall  £0.21 £0.70 £3.70
yCall  £0.21 £0.91 £3.70
craigcu12 Show
  • J

xMuck

yMuck

craigcu12 Win Full House, 8s and Jacks £0.84  £11.54

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Fine to check on the flop, its 4way so we cannot be confident of having the best hand with just middle pair with a jack kicker, Check/call on the turn is fine, 6/1 on a call decent implied odds if you hit your full house.

I would bomb the river for value, maybe between 60p-80p, its NL4 if anyone has a 10 they would probably call lol. But then again, i haven't played that much online poker so i wouldn't know for sure if they would call such a big bet there, but it's more than likely.

• edited March 2013

Hey Craig,

I would like an over potsized bet, maybe 50-70p, with the board as is, theres a really high chanceyou are called or re-raised.

• edited March 2013
    Played well imo. Id sometimes overbet that river in attempt to squeeze more, but nicely played
  • edited March 2013
    "...know my stack size is so big if a min raise was done i would have called this hand preflop..."

The size of your stack is irrelevant in this hand. The most you can play for in this hand is 100BB, because that's how much your opponents have. Their stacks are the effective stacks and having lots of money behind makes no difference to how the hand plays.

"...i would have called this hand preflop so i feel as thought that was a mistake to not min raise myself..."

Why would you have called a raise pre-flop? You're playing J8 in the worst position at the table. Why would you raise this hand? J8 is not a good hand and you're in a bad position so why not just fold and maximise your edge by playing in position on the next hand?

"1.on the flop itself was it correct of me to check?"

Yes. No point leading out with middle-pair and a gut-shot draw. We're only like to be called by better hands or better draws and we'd put ourselves in a difficult situation if we are raised on the flop or are called and the turn is a bad card for us. Check-call seems reasonable.

"2. on the turn although i knew their was a straight should i still have made a small bet?"

I think we should bet the turn, yes. Obviously a ten is crushing us but there's a good chance that we can get a little value from weaker made hands. Check-calling isn't a dreadful plan but I think we miss value if it's checked around and there are some bad river cards for us. (Obviously both players had a ten but that won't be the case most of the time)

"3. could i have got value any better on the river."

No, probably not. We can bet bigger but then it's really hard to be called by anything weaker than a Ten and neither of our opponents figures to have one given the action so far. It's unfortunate that both our opponents played their straights so weakly but I think we have to bet to get value from a wider range and I like the 21p, as the hand is played that is.

I'd definitely fold pre-flop though. No need to play out of position with J8. We have to be really confident in our ability to outplay our opponents in small pots, even though they'll have position on us. Our implied odds for making a big hand aren't big enough with J8s to make up for losing lots of small pots. Outplaying our opponents OOP, even to weak players, can be really tough.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: was i at just as much fault as the villians:
    "...know my stack size is so big if a min raise was done i would have called this hand preflop..." The size of your stack is irrelevant in this hand. The most you can play for in this hand is 100BB, because that's how much your opponents have. Their stacks are the effective stacks and having lots of money behind makes no difference to how the hand plays. "...i would have called this hand preflop so i feel as thought that was a mistake to not min raise myself..." Why would you have called a raise pre-flop? You're playing J8 in the worst position at the table. Why would you raise this hand? J8 is not a good hand and you're in a bad position so why not just fold and maximise your edge by playing in position on the next hand? "
    what i was thinking at the time was my stack size is bigger and the gap is not too big.
    had it been Jc 9c would a call have been ok or do suited connectors only really apply when the two cards are consecutive
  • edited March 2013

i actually hate it when poker players are referred to as heros and villains, were playing poker for christ sake not in an episode of batman!!  oppo works just fine for me.