You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bet Size

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £29.81
 Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £76.71
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

19MUFC19 Raise  £2.50 £3.25 £204.26
 Fold     
 Call  £2.50 £5.75 £183.55
 Fold     
 Fold     
 Fold     
Flop

19MUFC19 Bet  £2.88 £8.63 £201.38
 Call  £2.88 £11.51 £180.67
Turn

19MUFC19 Bet  £5.76 £17.27 £195.62
 Call  £5.76 £23.03 £174.91
River

19MUFC19 Check     
 Bet  £17.00 £40.03 £157.91
19MUFC19 Call  £17.00 £57.03 £178.62
 Show

19MUFC19 Show
  • A
  • A

Win Straight to the 7 £55.23
Can i have some advice here please on my bet sizing? How much should i bet on the flop and turn?

I knew i was beat on the river... but being a donk i cant fold AA

Comments

• edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Sayin...:
    AA hand

I 5x pre because unlike with 67s i dont mind playing that with 3/4 callers but with AA i want one caller. I decided to bet half pot on the flop and turn, should i of bet more? I found the opponent to be quite agressive so i was a bit confused with him just calling so on the river i expected a re raise so decided to check and call... I did think i was beat but like i say its AA and he was an aggro player
    Posted by 19MUFC19
    I've mentioned the bet-sizing question on the other thread.

When I originally asked why your pre-flop sizings were different, I thought you might say that you'd raised bigger pre-flop in this hand because one of your opponents (the villain in this hand) had been making lots of pre-flop calls and since you were playing nearly 380BB effective against him, you wanted to be able to build the pot pre-flop so you can potentially stack him by the river. That would have been a very good reason to make a 5x raise here, but you'd have to be doing the same with the entire range of hands you'd be playing.

As it is, we get the call from the deep stacked opponent and we flop an overpair to the 366 flop. As in the other hand, if we were playing 100BB deep I would like betting between half-pot and three-quarter pot. Here, because we're super-deep, I think we need to bet quite alot bigger because we want to be able to stack our opponent with our big hands. We should definitely be comfortable in thinking that we have the best hand, because the only hands that can have gone ahead are a random 6 or 63, 33 and 66. We can however still be called by alot of hands we beat such as overpairs, flush draws and perhaps just two overcards. So we miss value by not betting bigger.

While we're so deep we also have to understand that the implied odds for our opponent to hit with speculative hands and draws are much greater, so he's much more likely to make that call - If he hits his big hand, he can believe that he will be paid big so he's willing to call alot more than half-pot for that opportunity.

The turn fills some straights but we can reasonably think we're still ahead. Again, I'd like to bet a big bigger but now we're no longer looking to build a huge pot because it's unlikely now that one-pair hands would be willing to do so on this co-ordinated board. We want to bet but we don't want to face a raise and stack off because there's little chance of our opponent raising with worse hands. If I'd got this far having bet half-pot on the flop, I'd probably bet a little bigger on the turn but betting the same again isn't too bad.

The river is another fairly bad card for us. I think there's still some value to be had from overpairs if we bet but I don't mind check-calling either if we think our opponent can have a missed flush draw in his range. We'd be giving him the chance to bluff.

So when you're making your bets, you need to be thinking about what you want to achieve and how it looks to your opponent. You need to balance your range between strong hands and weak hands by betting the same with both.
  • edited March 2013
    I might have rambled on a little bit. lol
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Bet Size:
    I might have rambled on a little bit. lol
    Posted by BorinLoner
    ha ha no i appreciate the feed back mate and i'll take it on board :)
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Bet Size:
    You need to balance your range between strong hands and weak hands by betting the same with both.
    Posted by BorinLoner

I'll start to do this