You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sayin...

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
dub1 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £99.68
DRAGONACES Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £94.57
 Your hole cards

eportlad91 Fold     
19MUFC19 Raise  £1.50 £2.25 £105.94
Razzi817 Fold     
dub1 Fold     
DRAGONACES Call  £1.00 £3.25 £93.57
Flop

DRAGONACES Check     
19MUFC19 Bet  £3.25 £6.50 £102.69
DRAGONACES Call  £3.25 £9.75 £90.32
Turn

DRAGONACES Check     
19MUFC19 Bet  £9.75 £19.50 £92.94
DRAGONACES Raise  £24.38 £43.88 £65.94
19MUFC19 Call  £14.63 £58.51 £78.31
River

DRAGONACES All-in  £65.94
What do you think about this? Can i really be worried here about a Full House? Also what do you think about my bet sizing?

Comments

• edited March 2013
    I don't have time to comment in detail right now but before someone else comments answer these questions on your two hands:

1) Why do you raise 3x with 67s and 5x in the other hand with AA?

2) Why do you bet full-pot post flop here with the nuts but half-pot with the overpair?

3) What ranges are you hoping to be called/raised by in each situation?

4) What do you think of each of your opponents in the two hands?

Explain your thinking. If your reasoning is flawed it will be challenged and if it isn't it will be reinforced. Just asking what other people would do won't help improve your understanding.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Sayin...:
    I don't have time to comment in detail right now but before someone else comments answer these questions on your two hands: 1) Why do you raise 3x with 67s and 5x in the other hand with AA? 2) Why do you bet full-pot post flop here with the nuts but half-pot with the overpair? 3) What ranges are you hoping to be called/raised by in each situation? 4) What do you think of each of your opponents in the two hands? Explain your thinking. If your reasoning is flawed it will be challenged and if it isn't it will be reinforced. Just asking what other people would do won't help improve your understanding.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Im off out, i'll reply tomorrow 
  • edited March 2013
    67s hand 

I 3x it pre as just a standard raise. On the flop i bet the pot as i think my hand is pretty disquised so i was going for the ive missed look. Dont know if it looks like that to other people but i find usually when people make a pot bet on the flop they have usually missed with like an AK? I do the same on the turn but he raises, on the 3 coming? So i think hes took the bait and i just call. Then the river he shoves!? Opinion of opponent is hes not a guy who shoves all in with a pair so i start to worry about a house? 

AA hand

I 5x pre because unlike with 67s i dont mind playing that with 3/4 callers but with AA i want one caller. I decided to bet half pot on the flop and turn, should i of bet more? I found the opponent to be quite agressive so i was a bit confused with him just calling so on the river i expected a re raise so decided to check and call... I did think i was beat but like i say its AA and he was an aggro player 
  • edited March 2013
    67s hand 

I 3x it pre as just a standard raise. On the flop i bet the pot as i think my hand is pretty disquised so i was going for the ive missed look. Dont know if it looks like that to other people but i find usually when people make a pot bet on the flop they have usually missed with like an AK? I do the same on the turn but he raises, on the 3 coming? So i think hes took the bait and i just call. Then the river he shoves!? Opinion of opponent is hes not a guy who shoves all in with a pair so i start to worry about a house? 

AA hand

I 5x pre because unlike with 67s i dont mind playing that with 3/4 callers but with AA i want one caller. I decided to bet half pot on the flop and turn, should i of bet more? I found the opponent to be quite agressive so i was a bit confused with him just calling so on the river i expected a re raise so decided to check and call... I did think i was beat but like i say its AA and he was an aggro player 
    Posted by 19MUFC19
    The pre-flop raise size is something to think about. You're absolutely right to not want to play multi-way with AA but to be happy to do so with 67s, however altering your raise size is not a good way of achieving that. By changing our raise size to match the strength of our hand, we give a huge clue to our opponents about which type of hand we're actually holding. People will notice that we raise bigger with strong hands and smaller with weak ones. This makes us really easy to play against.

The way to avoid that is just to make the same raise with all of our hands, so our opponents can't determine our hand strength based simply on our bet size. So if we make it 3x with 67, 55, JT, etc we should also make it 3x with AA, KK, AK, etc. We disguise our strong hands by making our raises with them indistinguishable from our weak ones.

Generally in cash poker a 3x opening raise is considered standard and that's what I'd suggest sticking to. It doesn't set up any weird dynamic which a bigger raise might, because sometimes people think "a 4x or 5x open means 'XYZ'" and that can make our opponents' thought processes unpredictable. We like to keep them predictable. :)

There are reasons to vary from the 3x opening raise size but the strength of our hand shouldn't be one of them.
  • edited March 2013
    67s hand 

Posted by 19MUFC19
    On this hand the pre-flop action is fine.

On the flop, usually when people make a full-pot bet it means that they've got quite a big hand they want to get maximum value from, in my experience, so that's something we're going to disagree on. However, the important thing to think about is not what we think other people do in particular situations, we need to think about what we would do or have already done. If we raise pre-flop and miss the flop, do we really c-bet for full-pot? If we have an overpair, do we c-bet for full-pot? If the answer to these questions is "no" then we shouldn't bet full-pot when we flop the nuts either, because people will be watching us and learning what our bets mean.

It's a question of balancing our range. If we bet half-pot as a bluff, then we can disguise our big hands by betting half-pot with those too. If someone sees us bet 3/4 pot with the nuts, the next time we miss we can bet 3/4 pot again and put them in a tough situation with a bluff.

So the reasoning behind the full-pot bet on the flop might not be quite right but in practise, I actually like it here. The reason that I like it is that we're playing nearly 200BB effective, so we're really deep and there's not that much in the pot from the pre-flop action. If we want to play for our opponent's entire stack by the river, we're going to have to bet pretty big. Of course, at this stage, we absolutely should be looking to play for stacks because we have the nuts on this flop. When we're this deep, we might even consider making our flop bet bigger than the size of the pot.

As I say, though, we have to balance our desire with wanting to build big pots with our strong hands, with our desire for our bluffs to not be too expensive. If we were playing 100BBeff deep I'd say half-pot to three-quarter-pot is best. Since we're playing 200BBeff and we need to make our value bets and bluffs roughly the same size, I like this pot-sized bet.

The turn is not a good card. I still like the bet size but when we're raised we have to think about the type of hands our opponent is representing. An overpair probably doesn't raise this turn, nor does just one pair on the board and straight draws tend to raise the flop when their equity is at it's highest. So basically his range is likely to be hands such as flopped sets, flopped straights and possibly an overplayed 3. There shouldn't be many bare 3's in his range, though.

So of the hands we can assign him, we can beat A2 and a random 3x hand. The only other thing we can beat is a bluff but his play looks genuinely very strong.

On the river, he shoves for a little more than the size of the pot and I think we can reasonably assume that he thinks he has the best hand. Our read is that he doesn't do this with a pair and his play on the turn and river has been very strong, even after we've bet full pot on both the flop and turn and then called his check-raise. He's showing huge strength even in the face of our strength. It's very likely that the only hand we can beat in his range now is A2 and even that is less likely than a full house.

Unless we have very strong reads that our opponent regularly overvalues marginal hands or makes huge bluffs, I think we have to think that his range is crushing us and make the fold. (It's a very tough spot, though)
  • edited March 2013

I called and covered my eyes... A2s :)

I did think he'd made a house cause like you say he looked very strong but obviously cause he'd flopped a straight too and was maybe thinking i had a big pair.

Should i really make my decision on the turn and If im going to carry on should i just shove when he re raises?

• edited March 2013
    I wouldn't 3-bet the turn. I think calling is best if we're not going to fold. I think if we call on the turn, though, we definitely have to call the blank river. So yes I'd say the decision is on the turn in this hand.

I've said bluffs are unlikely and they are, but even if there's only a 5% chance of him having one we might as well let him continue on the river. If we raise the turn, he has to fold any of those bluffs. I also wouldn't want to give him the chance to make a hero fold with a hand like A3. There aren't many scare cards that could come on the river, either.

I'd be interested to hear if other people agree with my thoughts on your opponent's range here.