You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

30nl, OOP w/ rivered top set, bad card for villain (?) line...?

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic

Villain is new to me, it's the first time I've played with him.

He's only 1 tabling and likes to see flops, normally by limp/calling and peeling opens.

He took the best part of a buy in off me very early on at this table.

Sat with 80bb he peeled from the bb with 83s v my mid position open, donk led for the full pot on 853, and shoved £17 into 15 ott which was a blank 2.

I paid him off w/ JJ having flatted the flop, and he held.

edit* Might as well add the hand. I was nearly right.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DJP1990 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £21.35
xxxBig blind  £0.30 £0.45 £22.78
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

SHIRLEYV3 Fold     
aceshigh04 Call  £0.30 £0.75 £60.66
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £1.20 £1.95 £27.75
wattsy3 Fold     
DJP1990 Call  £1.05 £3.00 £20.30
xxx Call  £0.90 £3.90 £21.88
aceshigh04 Call  £0.90 £4.80 £59.76
Flop

DJP1990 Check     
xxx Bet  £4.80 £9.60 £17.08
aceshigh04 Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Call  £4.80 £14.40 £22.95
DJP1990 Fold     
Turn

xxx All-in  £17.08 £31.48 £0.00
DOHHHHHHH Call  £17.08 £48.56 £5.87
xxx Show

DOHHHHHHH Show
  • J
  • J

River

• A

xxx Win Two Pairs, 8s and 3s £46.76  £46.76
No showdown pots or anything since then, just him splashing about probably playing too many hands too passively.

My image is probably tight aggressive. Not as active as usual because the table/s were soft so didn't really need to get out of line much.

Ofc otr I'm planning to check all cards apart from maybe this one.

Really don't want him checking back though, is there any case for donk leading/shoving this river against this type of fishy player?

Is c/c (or c/shove) always the best line to take?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DOHHHHHHH Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £63.45
templeto08 Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £18.51
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

xxxCall  £0.30 £0.75 £74.04
beamer1968 Call  £0.30 £1.05 £19.95
aceshigh04 Call  £0.30 £1.35 £48.46
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £2.70 £4.05 £60.75
templeto08 Call  £2.55 £6.60 £15.96
xxxCall  £2.55 £9.15 £71.49
beamer1968 Fold     
aceshigh04 Fold     
Flop

• Q

DOHHHHHHH Bet  £3.90 £13.05 £56.85
templeto08 Fold     
xx Raise  £7.80 £20.85 £63.69
DOHHHHHHH Call  £3.90 £24.75 £52.95
Turn

DOHHHHHHH Check     
xxxBet  £12.00 £36.75 £51.69
DOHHHHHHH Call  £12.00 £48.75 £40.95
River

• A

DOHHHHHHH

Comments

• edited March 2013
    If this is off last night mate and the players name begins with T i would just want to get as much cash in as poss v him.

I sat at this table just before he left and from what i saw he was calling absolutley any amount pre and putting his stack in with any hit whatsoever.

This is the type of player that helps the low stakes players move up the levels quicker :)

Follow over broken glass
  • edited March 2013
    I think I prefer check/shove river in this spot only think we are really worried about is backdoor flush which is unlikely but possible and think you lose value in the long-term for times when he has qx sets or a weird 2pr combo (if he plays 83 suited) that pay you off.

but yeah river could defo be scare card for if he only had kq/qj type of hand but think its possible he still pays you off with the money in the pot.

think you have posted this for a reason so thinking he had q6ss and you shoved he snapped you off with flush.
  • edited March 2013

shove river for value and cry when he either a) folds.. or b) calls with the flush

:)

If i check I hate my life when/if he checks behind...

• edited March 2013
    Shove river with hope to get called off. Scare card could cause to check behind if you check. Can't be too worried about a flush unless you specifically put them on QJss,KQss seeing as As came on river. Would they limp pre with KQss though? Don't know the player so not sure of their style. 

Bothered, shove. 
  • edited March 2013

passive villians very rarely bet with weak hand so when he did that bet on the flop it was ok making the call but then when he shoves on the turn it was best to just fold as he clearly was representing two pair or set.
    hand two just shove the river or atleast do a pot size bet because the villian would be too scared to make a bet if it was checked to him yet if he has two pair he would not be too scared to call your own bet.
    i see this all the time myself, on saturday two villians who held a straight min bet with it on the turn and only called the river bet i did after hitting my FH so i probably lost value myself.

• edited March 2013
    as shown in hand1,this oppo could have absolutley any thing,flush is a poss and str8,could you really discount suited 3,5,or 3,5 o/s.they could also have any 2 pair combo.

now if you chk river,is he gonna shove??.I f he does you call ?

so its a tricky spot.

so i shove the river, and hope he has 2 pair or set.

If not unlucky

• edited March 2013

I did decide to donk jam the river, and he folded :( 

Would love to know what he had, shame it wasn't a Tele table. 

Thnx for replies. 
  • edited March 2013
    checking is good if vs a pure bluff, as it gives villain a window to take a stab on the river, but if he has any hand here like qx (generally though people would not raise a Q alone with out reason, but this guy seems bad so a qx is plausible) he is likely to check river back with that, looking at it im torn between check-jamming to betting ~£12 to get value from a Queen and it allows him to sp.azz out too...

i was going to post yesterday but my head was scrambled and i could not think straight, but ye i did naturally think that your jam was a bit greedy or over ambitious to get called by worse imo(obv we 100% get paid by sets), so i am not being result orientated! .. the flop is soo dry he either has a overplayed Qx, set or Air , but ruling out 2 pair  as he did not bet pot through the streets as before....

I take your line here majority of the time, and i might raise turn even if we have reason to believe that theres value to be had, he may have 99s and would call a raise thinking were at it... he may have us beat sometimes but putting him in a tough spot can only be a good thing, its/is it unlikely he will fire three barrels as a bluff!? who knows...

conclusion; with your line to the river i bet around 1/4 pot, thinking the river is a very bad card and likely a scary card for him and thus may stop him betting with his bluffs/weak value hands if we check, and will clearly fold this part of his range if we jam .....