You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How to play drawing hands Vs good tight reg?

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I know it is player dependent, but against a good tight reg such as richtea should I in general not clash with him in marginal spots, in example below should I be more cautious because he is unlikely to be raising with air? or more aggressive as I'm unlikely to have a spot V him where I have such good odds?
kamiXX Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £10.90
Rottiejohn Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £3.29
 Your hole cards
  • A

mattless Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £11.80
sssnake719 Fold     
THEROCK573 Fold     
richtea Call  £0.30 £0.75 £9.70
kamiXX Fold     
Rottiejohn Fold     
Flop

mattless Bet  £0.56 £1.31 £11.24
richtea Raise  £1.70 £3.01 £8.00
mattless All-in  £11.24 £14.25 £0.00
richtea All-in  £8.00 £22.25 £0.00
mattless Unmatched bet  £2.10 £20.15 £2.10
mattless Show
  • A

richtea Show

Turn

River

• Q

richtea Win Two Pairs, 9s and 8s £18.75  £18.75

Comments

• edited March 2013

if you know he is a tight reg then why did you bother shoving on th flop in the first place when you should know for sure a tight reg will be unlikely to call with hands he is behind, in a spot like this he has raised the flop so then when you go on to make the shove you will be facing two pairs or set anyday with tight regs so the best think you should have did was just call his raise then either check/call or check/fold the turn depending on the size of his bet.
    All your doing here is showing the signs of someone who just wants to double right away and gets annoyed as you have missed it.
    If you think he would fold a flush bet then their is a good chance he would have folded a shove on this river too as it has straight written all over, so basically i get a feeling he would have still made a call even if you did hit your flush as you could so easily have used it as a bluff for a straight draw you were chasing.

• edited March 2013
    It depends on the range that we give him for the raise on the flop.

We think he's tight but does that mean he can never be raising with a flush draw? Presumably he doesn't have many overpairs in his range after the pre-flop call but if he has TT, does he ever fold after raising this flop? Could he possibly be raising here with just, say, A9?

If he can be raising this flop with any made hand that he might fold to a 3-bet, then get it in. If he can be doing this with a draw that he will call off with, then get it in. If he only ever raises with big made hands that he won't fold, then we need to ask if he will pay us off if a diamond hits.

Obviously we're getting worse than 3:1 on the call and if only our flushing outs are good we need 4:1. If he's so nitty that he won't pay off any more with two-pair or better if a diamond hits, then we have no implied odds and should just fold the flop. Most nits aren't that nitty, though, so the call is probably fine.

Shove if you have fold equity. Call if you think you have good implied odds against a very narrow range. Fold if you think you have poor implied odds against a very narrow range.

There you go. My advice is either raise, call or fold. I'm super helpful. :)