You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

So we has a set, decision making. NL10

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Doing this in stages hand ID for me to post later - 628863153

Ok this hand is a bit wierd so decided to post it, would like thoughts on firstly the decision on the flop. 

Reads on opponent. they've just joined table, i did have a note but it basically said - loose passive. Given so far i think it was outdated as they seemed to be playing very LAG. 

So flop decision, do we raise or call. 

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceThe_Don90Small blind £0.05£0.05£25.78nanockBig blind £0.10£0.15£22.15 Your hole cards55   xRaise £0.30£0.45£19.55always4551Fold    The_Don90Call £0.25£0.70£25.53nanockCall £0.20£0.90£21.95Flop  A75   The_Don90Check    nanockCheck    xBet £0.45£1.35£19.10The_Don90Raise £1.20£2.55£24.33nanockFold    xRaise £1.50£4.05£17.60The_Don90????

Comments

• edited March 2013
    we are over 200bbs I think we gotta raise again get as much money in the pot as we can to get stacks in and win those pennies.

also if you just call the re raise on flop your 1st to act on the turn what happens if opponent checks bak turn just a lost a street of value so yeah get as much in on flop as possible if he turns out to have aa/77 imo just vul.
  • edited March 2013
    I would smooth call, and let him keep betting the turn and river, it is such a dry flop they're is no flush possibilities and it's unlikely he has 4,6 or 8,6 and semi-bluffing a straight draw. If he has a bigger set, sigh and move on to the next hand lol.

Let him keep firing with his big ace (which i think he has), and raise the river for value, and hope he isn't capable of folding top pair lol.

EDIT: just realised your the small blind not the villian, your oop so yeah re-raise the flop and if he calls, fire away the turn and the river haha.

Time for me to sleep i think, what was I thinking, you're obviously the one in the bold writing haha.
  • edited March 2013
    I think I'd make the check-raise quite a bit bigger to about £2.20. Give him the chance to pay you big with his Ax hands, then barrell turn and river. I might in fact lead out on this flop just because it's gone three-handed and we don't need to risk a "loose-passive" player checking back, which he could do with a weak Ace or if he's missed and fears our ranges contain lots of Ax hands. Granted checking is more standard, leading out can look weird if we never do it in other situations and our "loose passive" opponent did raise pre-flop so there might not be many Ax hands in his range.

The trouble with check-raising is that it's impossible for us to really represent a draw on this dry board. That's the same problem we have when deciding on the 4-bet. I feel as though we virtually turn our hand face up with a 4-bet and we rely on our opponent being not great or too strong to fold. We have bottom set, though, so the only hand that's too strong to fold that we beat is likely to be A7 and that's not terribly likely.

Meh. After getting this far I probably 4-bet. Flatting the 3-bet looks just as strong as 4-betting, I think, and we don't get as much money in if our opponent is going to spew with AK. We also end up checking the turn if we flat and then he could check back all his weaker hands so we lose value on two streets.

So I'd say 4-bet now pretty big and try to commit his stack. Definitely would check-raise bigger or lead in the first place to make that easier.
  • edited March 2013
    call, and then don't fold

i think if we 4bet we give him great chance to fold the hands we beat as it's sooooo strong. we could be calling his 3bet with quite a wide range since he's made it so small. if we 4bet we always have a set and that means if he 5bets we almost have to fold which means we've turned our hand into a bluff, and if we don't fold to his 5bet I think we're being shown a higher set so many times. 

but then I think it's 10nl, we have a set, he prob goes broke with AK lolool
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: So we has a set, decision making. NL10:
    call, and then don't fold i think if we 4bet we give him great chance to fold the hands we beat as it's sooooo strong. we could be calling his 3bet with quite a wide range since he's made it so small. if we 4bet we always have a set and that means if he 5bets we almost have to fold which means we've turned our hand into a bluff, and if we don't fold to his 5bet I think we're being shown a higher set so many times.  but then I think it's 10nl, we have a set, he prob goes broke with AK lolool
    Posted by percival09
    pretty much this
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks for responces. 

The second desision now. The river and sizing. How do we get the max from our opponent range.

The_Don90Call £0.75£4.80£23.58
    Turn

• https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/heart.gif'); display: block; border: 1px solid #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="heart">3

The_Don90Check    
    xCheck    
    River

• https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/club.gif'); background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border: 1px solid #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="club">9

The_Don90Bet

Sigh best i can get hand history annoyingly. turn is 3h river is 9c. Both straight draws got there but think thats a very small part of oppos range