You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

small pairs...settle an argument?

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
what is the best way to play 44/55 preflop

Comments

• edited March 2013
    lol completely depends on the situation. generally I'd just open 3x in cash
  • edited March 2013
    Depends on a million factors but I went for raise standard because that's what I'd be doing in standard spots 100xBB deep.
  • edited March 2013

To get a specific answer you need to know the blind level, action beforehand and stack sizes....without these you can pretty much vote for all of the answers

• edited March 2013
    what a stupid question
  • edited March 2013
    depends on how the table is 
    i just do a standard raise so you aren't telling villian you hold a small pocket pair otherwise if you hit the set you then have to hope the villian bets otherwise you reveal that you holding a set also any raise you do preflop will be easier to show sign of premium so you will get called less.
    but their is too much varience to be asking this question really.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: small pairs...settle an argument?:
    depends on how the table is  i just do a standard raise so you aren't telling villian you hold a small pocket pair otherwise if you hit the set you then have to hope the villian bets otherwise you reveal that you holding a set also any raise you do preflop will be easier to show sign of premium so you will get called less. but their is too much varience to be asking this question really.
    Posted by craigcu12
    yeah but say it's deep into the tourney, you have 16bb and you're utg with 44....what you doing then???

Too many diff situations to give an answer
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: small pairs...settle an argument? : yeah but say it's deep into the tourney, you have 16bb and you're utg with 44....what you doing then??? Too many diff situations to give an answer
    Posted by waller02
    thats why i said it varies because their are so many differant periods weather it is cash tables the early stages of tourney or the late stages.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: small pairs...settle an argument? : yeah but say it's deep into the tourney, you have 16bb and you're utg with 44....what you doing then??? Too many diff situations to give an answer
    Posted by waller02
    min raise assess on change of action. fold if theres an EP raise, LP raise sometimes shove oppo dependant. 
  • edited March 2013
    what a stupid question
    Posted by THEROCK573
    very helpfull...thank you.
    the situation was this i limped with 44 and flopped the boat jj4....milked till the river and villan hit 5 for bigger house j5.
    when posted on fb i was told serves me right for limping.
    "you can never limp in poker".
    when i said there are plenty of cases for linping i was told to post it on here because all of you top players would tell me i played it terrible.
  • edited March 2013
    Well I struggle to think of many situations where I would ever recommend someone open limps 44. It's hard to say if you played it bad without a HH but generally open limping isn't gonna be a great way to start a hand.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: small pairs...settle an argument? : very helpfull...thank you. the situation was this i limped with 44 and flopped the boat jj4....milked till the river and villan hit 5 for bigger house j5. when posted on fb i was told serves me right for limping. "you can never limp in poker". when i said there are plenty of cases for linping i was told to post it on here because all of you top players would tell me i played it terrible.
    Posted by DAVEYZZ

You played this terrible. You also need to post this stuff in area51. Then a bloke called DaveyZZtop or something will come along and put you straight on everything.

(UL BTW)  :)
  • edited March 2013
    all in pre !!!
  • edited March 2013
    I'm no expert but a raise pre narrows down hands to what your opponent thinks are good enough.. Meaning if and when you do hit your set, you're alot more likely to get called/raised by top pairs/top two pairs etc and gaining value. The opponent has more in the pot and more reason to believe he can take it down?
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: small pairs...settle an argument? : very helpfull...thank you. the situation was this i limped with 44 and flopped the boat jj4....milked till the river and villan hit 5 for bigger house j5. when posted on fb i was told serves me right for limping. "you can never limp in poker". when i said there are plenty of cases for linping i was told to post it on here because all of you top players would tell me i played it terrible.
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    well ok, it was a stupid question with no info tho of what type of game ur in or stsack size,, regardless anyway limping is just plain stupid i would never do it with any hand, any day, and time.