You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

one more:-)

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
usty762Small blind 20.0020.004685.00silentoneBig blind 40.0060.007302.50 Your hole cardsA8   Moon_RiverFold    BoxsterRaise 80.00140.009811.50POKERTREVCall 80.00220.003713.00mezzzzzaRaise 160.00380.001018.00rusty762Fold    silentoneFold    BoxsterCall 80.00460.009731.50POKERTREVFold    Flop  QA4   BoxsterCheck    mezzzzzaBet 190.00650.00828.00BoxsterCall 190.00840.009541.50Turn  J   BoxsterCheck    mezzzzzaAll-in 828.001668.000.00BoxsterCall 828.002496.008713.50BoxsterShow

Comments

• edited March 2013
  • edited March 2013

I don't like the tiny pre-flop 3-bet. I think a fold would be best.

We have a weak Ace in late position after a min-raise and a call. I think we can only 3-bet if we know that Boxter's raising range and PokerTrev's calling range are both extremely wide and they can fold to a 3-bet. In those circumstances our 3-bet would be a squeeze play because we know that we're unlikely to get any further action from a hand we're beating. We're not playing the value of our Ace-high, we are bluffing.

So we want to make our two opponents fold but we've made a raise that will never, ever get them to do so. If we're going to make this squeeze we need to raise bigger to put the pressure on them. Our raise should be the same size we'd make with AA, which would presumably be more than a min-raise.

I actually think 30BB is a great stack size to make the squeeze after a min-raise and call but we need to make the raise to something like 8BB (320 chips). This size raise shows extreme strength from us (because it appears to commit us) but leaves us the chance to get away with a playable stack if someone 4-bets. It also gives our opponents very poor odds to call to hit a hand, effectively forcing them to fold anything but the top few hands.

I'd only like this play if you had lots of history with Boxter and PokerTrev to suggest they both have wide ranges, though. Without those reads, this squeeze isn't likely to be profitable in the long run, so just fold.

The way you played the hand makes it seem as though you actually viewed your hand as a big value hand. You raised an amount pre-flop that you knew wouldn't get folds and then you played the Ace-high board as though you had the nuts.

On the flop did you consider checking it back? Which hands do you think call this bet that you beat? Bearing in mind that the best Ace we can beat is A7, do we think we're being called more often by weaker hands than we are by stronger ones? If the majority of hands that call this flop bet are better hands then we're just forcing our opponent to fold his weaker hands and paying him for his better ones when we bet this flop.

On the turn, again the question is; Which weaker hands do you think can call this shove? If only stronger hands call then we're bluffing when we shove, wasting the value of our top pair by forcing him to fold any weaker hands. If we are bluffing, which better hands than A8 fold at this stage?

• edited March 2013
    Ye pre very much agree raise size is terrible just thought it looked quite week min raise and a flat, but deffo should of raise bigger.tbh had a bit of history with this player to me just seemed like he was playing back at me a lot was tilting a bit through the couple of hands I've posted but thanks for feedback much appreciated! I've finally decided to really try and work on my game so shall be quite a few more posts going up thanks again:-)