You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

this was the hand craig i thought the man was bluffing and had big ace

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Mac528 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £4.36
Ashton1111 Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £3.52
 Your hole cards

danboy22 Raise  £0.24 £0.36 £6.85
shark11 Raise  £0.88 £1.24 £8.25
iGotUrz Fold     
Mac528 Fold     
Ashton1111 Call  £0.80 £2.04 £2.72
danboy22 Call  £0.64 £2.68 £6.21
Flop

Ashton1111 Check     
danboy22 Check     
shark11 Bet  £1.34 £4.02 £6.91
Ashton1111 Fold     
danboy22 All-in  £6.21 £10.23 £0.00
shark11 All-in  £6.91 £17.14 £0.00
shark11 Unmatched bet  £2.04 £15.10 £2.04
danboy22 Show

shark11 Show
  • A
  • A

Turn

River

• K

shark11 Win Pair of Aces £13.96

Comments

• edited March 2013
    If he is bluffing with a big ace, you shoving just makes him snap fold.

Are you raising because you're bluffing (want better hands than yours to fold) or raising because you want to get called by worse? I'm not sure either will happen.
  • edited March 2013

I agree with Lambert again.

You've got to think about the range of hands he can be holding, not try to put him on one specific type of hand. You'll frequently hear players say things like "I put him on AK". These people are almost always players that don't understand the game very well. They usually mean "I hoped he had AK because that's all I could beat."

As Lambert says, even if your opponent did have a big Ace here you shouldn't shove the flop. By doing so, you're just making him fold a hand that you're way ahead of. He might be willing to put more money in on the turn if you just call, so by raising you lose value from his weaker hand. If he has a bigger pair, you're just giving him easy money.

When you're thinking about the range of hands he can have, look at the way he's played and see what hands make sense:

His first action is to make a pre-flop 3-bet. Most players don't do this without a pretty big hand, so we can usually narrow his range right down to hands like AK, AQ, JJ, QQ, KK and AA. Some players 3-bet more hands than this, some players 3-bet fewer but let's just assume that's right for this guy.

So if we call the pre-flop 3-bet, we should realise that most of the hands he can have are better than TT. When we call, we should be doing so to set-mine. This means that if we miss the Ten on the flop we have to give up the pot. Sometimes we'll be folding the best hand but more often we're making the right fold.

• edited March 2013
    You raise 4x,your oppo then 3- bets you for another 8bbs,this itself raises alarm bells.so we call and go to the flop.pretty good flop for 10s,so we check,oppo bets 1/2 pot we shove,as posted above why are we shoving,we only get hands we are beating to fold and get called by a hand thats crushing us.On the odd occasion we might get called with the nut flush draw,say AKs,even then were still vunerable.

as borin loner points out we should only be playing to set mine,if we miss then fold to a bet.

players are not betting  the flop with nothig here,after a huge 3 bet pre.