You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Player Segregation - what's your view?

edited March 2013 in Poker Chat
For those unfamiliar on recent developments, several poker websites have implemented (some publically, some deceptively) a player filtering system based on their long term win-rate, so that losing players and winning players will no longer be able to play against each other.

I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions on this

Comments

• edited March 2013
    I have several thoughts on this subject, all of which are accompanied by the sound of laughter.

"It's so stupid it's funny" would be my summary.
  • edited March 2013
    I read a little about this on 2+2, was quite suprised and a bit confused. How exactly do they implement this system, say it was to be done on skypoker- would software stop players with high win rates from sitting with those with low win rates? Would the two categories of players just not even be able to see tables the other were sitting at, i was shocked by it what i was reading to be honest.

I understand wanting to attract customers who will play poker regularly long term and not be driven away by better players from a business perspective, but it seems like a terrible decision in regards to the treatment of the players with higher win rates and will surely drive them players away from the sites implementing such a system. Which then leads to the point of whether it has any benefit for the business as its basically a no win situation, some players will now play more regularly with the change and others will leave for different sites, so not really any actual change to the income of the business? am i missing something..
  • edited March 2013
    For the moment, the segregation seems to be offering different lobbies to the two types of players
  • edited March 2013
    segregationhas been tried the world over,it does not work or shall it ever.

remember

i have a dream

on a more serious note,why would they want to segregate players??

if your a winning player,u want to play losing players
  • edited March 2013
    Just realised i contradicted myself by saying i understood from a business perspective then ripping the plan apart. I think it's ridiculous really and very unfair on those players that are more skilled and have worked hard to get a good winrate. Seems like a very strange decision to me and not one i can imagine being implemented for very long across a number of sites.
  • edited March 2013
    The argument offered by the industry is that it protects the poker "ecology;" that new players are more likely to become long-term customers/contributers if, at the start of their on-line adventures, they feel like they're competing against opponents of similar ability.

There are several flaws with this argument, one of the biggest being that some pros who prey on the recreational players, the so-called "bumhunters," will resort to multi-accounting. Suddenly, a host of sisters/girlfriends/cousins will start opening accounts, so these pros can access the segregated "fishy" tables!

• edited March 2013
    Plain wrong IMO, simples!
  • edited March 2013
    "The idea behind Fair Play is to try to give beginner and recreational players an opportunity to enjoy and develop their skills while playing poker. Online poker has matured significantly over the last 10-15 years and the gap between the beginner and advanced players has widened. It’s much harder today for beginner players to learn and enjoy the game if they’re getting beaten very quickly by the more advanced players every time they sit down at a poker table. These players need some time to develop their game and have some fun, otherwise most of them will look to other sources of entertainment and not play poker at all. We feel a good way of helping these players develop is to try and keep them amongst players of a similar skillset".

Just c+p this explanation from a representative of one of the sites, as someone noted on the original post surely that is what the lower stakes are for e.g. learning the game getting better and building a roll?
  • edited March 2013
    Well this is a toughie.

Firstly sites should be declaring what they are doing in this regard, end of in my opinion.  I don't like forced segregation at all but I think 'Beginner' tables would be good for site liquidity and the poker economy in general (there are obvious draw backs and parts which may be exploited, will go through them after the positives).

If a site has beginner tables (with stake limits up to, I'm plucking a number out of the air here tbh, $0.50/$1 on cash, $20 on tournies) it would encourage newbie recreational players to get their feet wet slowly it they choose to sit at them.  It would work on length of time after registering an account and would last for somewhere between 2-3 months IMO.  Benefits to this are:

- Less likely to be crushed immediately so more likely to 'get the bug' and not be discouraged with poker straight away.  This will encourage new players to deposit more in the future if they enjoy the game.
    -  More likely to get immediate success, as above but for some people this will give the sometimes false reality that they are winning players and will keep depositing in the future under that assumption.  Early success can really deceive some people to believe they are better than they are or that poker is easier than it is to beat, people get stubborn, people keep depositing.

Enjoyment of the game and self confidence/ego are two good factors for getting more money put into the poker economy.

Drawbacks, well much like men who can't beat $50 MTTs will enter a $1k women's event because of the value, some of the more devious members of the poker community will try to get into these games.  On new sites/skins where they don't have an account, there's not too much you can do.  But they only legally get one shot at this.  Now of course some will try to multi account.  Limiting stakes as I said above and sites putting some proper effort into stopping Multi-Accounting (a much bigger problem than just in this case IMO) would be the only way to combat this.

I really do not like the idea of segregation for an indefinite time period purely on win rate, might come back to why when I have a think about how to phrase it.  Oh and just to make it clear, a beginner can choose either beginner or standard tables, so if a guy wants to punt on £25/£50 they can.
  • edited March 2013
    "Here's your chance to "learn the game" by playing against other players who are as clueless as you. If, somehow, you develop your skills to be able to beat those clueless players, as a reward you will be dumped onto tables full of better players than you. That is, of course, only as long as those winning players are stupid enough to continue playing on a site which doesn't allow them access to losing players. Otherwise you might find that you simply can't get a game.

We don't think that will be a problem, though. After all, it's not as though there are other poker sites for them to go and play on that don't have our ingenious systems for segregating players."

That's a direct quote from one of the sites in question...

...Okay, I might have done some interpreting.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Player Segregation - what's your view?:
    The argument offered by the industry is that it protects the poker "ecology;" that new players are more likely to become long-term customers/contributers if, at the start of their on-line adventures, they feel like they're competing against opponents of similar ability. There are several flaws with this argument, one of the biggest being that some pros who prey on the recreational players, the so-called "bumhunters," will resort to multi-accounting. Suddenly, a host of sisters/girlfriends/cousins will start opening accounts, so these pros can access the segregated "fishy" tables!
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Well maybe sites can take it upon themselves to actually start doing something about this rather than just collecting money and rubbing it on their chests.

Ok I may be being a bit unfair, I do think stake limits as I have said above would really help to limit this as well.  I did say $0.50/$1 before but maybe they need to be $0.10/$0.20 with a multi table limit of say 2 or 3?
  • edited March 2013
    Well this is a toughie. Firstly sites should be declaring what they are doing in this regard, end of in my opinion.  I don't like forced segregation at all but I think 'Beginner' tables would be good for site liquidity and the poker economy in general (there are obvious draw backs and parts which may be exploited, will go through them after the positives). If a site has beginner tables (with stake limits up to, I'm plucking a number out of the air here tbh, $0.50/$1 on cash, $20 on tournies) it would encourage newbie recreational players to get their feet wet slowly it they choose to sit at them.  It would work on length of time after registering an account and would last for somewhere between 2-3 months IMO.  Benefits to this are: - Less likely to be crushed immediately so more likely to 'get the bug' and not be discouraged with poker straight away.  This will encourage new players to deposit more in the future if they enjoy the game. -  More likely to get immediate success, as above but for some people this will give the sometimes false reality that they are winning players and will keep depositing in the future under that assumption.  Early success can really deceive some people to believe they are better than they are or that poker is easier than it is to beat, people get stubborn, people keep depositing. Enjoyment of the game and self confidence/ego are two good factors for getting more money put into the poker economy. Drawbacks, well much like men who can't beat $50 MTTs will enter a $1k women's event because of the value, some of the more devious members of the poker community will try to get into these games.  On new sites/skins where they don't have an account, there's not too much you can do.  But they only legally get one shot at this.  Now of course some will try to multi account.  Limiting stakes as I said above and sites putting some proper effort into stopping Multi-Accounting (a much bigger problem than just in this case IMO) would be the only way to combat this. I really do not like the idea of segregation for an indefinite time period purely on win rate, might come back to why when I have a think about how to phrase it.  Oh and just to make it clear, a beginner can choose either beginner or standard tables, so if a guy wants to punt on £25/£50 they can.
    Posted by TommyD
    I play on a site that has this sort of set-up, but the beginner games never run for some reason.  No idea why.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Player Segregation - what's your view? : I play on a site that has this sort of set-up, but the beginner games never run for some reason.  No idea why.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    every poker player thinks they are the best, it would hurt their ego if they played on them...
  • edited March 2013
    It is basically banning winners.

But when you ban one lot of winners lesser skilled players will become winners, do you then move them to the winners section

We love poker because you can win.

The whole poker ecology problem has been caused by sites trying to attract multitabling poker players as they pay more rake. But they have not attracted enough gamblers to feed them.

Remember if you want to make money at anything in life you have to find people who are spending money.
  • edited March 2013
    Regulation FTW! IMO
  • edited March 2013
    whatever reasons these sites are doing this its clearly all about money, its a business nothing to do with integrity or morals or fair-play bullc*rap......, i doubt anyone would refute that but wtf i cant see how this would work tbh!? and i doubt it will be a permanent fixture...

i still dont get how this works, it it just "begginer" tables that have been implimented? if so are these begginer tables at high levels or just micros?? 
  • edited March 2013
    Anyway Coxy, as much as I like a hospital pass like this, what's your view?
  • edited March 2013
    poker industry is grimey. period. 
  • edited March 2013
    On the actions of the sites that have applied this segregation deceptively, I think its deplorable.

On the system itself, as stated by many so far, it has fundamental flaws with those who will abuse it as quick as they can, and that the long-term effects of forcing better players to play one another will discourage many, many regulars from playing and will most likely drive them away from the sites in question. No reg would play in 'winners' section until the point they are a losing player, at which time they would swap player pools, and grind back their losses, only to be thrown back into the games they lost at the month before. 

The idea of protecting new players is not flawed - this sweeping restrictive system is terribly so. 

What ideas would people suggest that would improve the filtering system? One possibility is to slash the rake in the 'winners' section to, for example, 25% of that in the 'losers section', encouraging significantly more reg-on-reg action, and gives an aim for others to move out of the losing player pool.
  • edited March 2013
    I've just had a gander at =4, not shocked at all by one of the networks bringing this in.  They pretty much have the nut worst reputation in online poker (and before any wags chime in, nope it's not SkyPoker).
  • edited March 2013
    yh but they have the best tv format poker show in the world so hey!!! plums and oranges, eh?
  • edited March 2013
    just lol

Most stoopid thing I have ever heard

• edited March 2013

What an absolute joke,

So basically good players are penalised you using their brains and reading up on the game to improve!

Fine, have a couple of beginner tables, say for any player who has played less than 500hands. but after that then everybody should be playing everybody else.

The only reason behind this is so bad players lose their money slower and are more likely to remain and deposit, this benefits the poker room and is a huge disadvantage to the majority of workhard regs.

I hope this backfires and the room ends up losing money because all the regs leave and the rake drops severely.

Is op able to confirm the sites that have started to do this?
  • edited March 2013
    if this was brought in on skypoker i'd be off....simples!

surely buy ins are all the segregation you need i.e. new players will tend to start at the lower buy ins.
  • edited March 2013
    They should really offer incentives for high volume players to gain access to the complete player pool rather than cut them off completely.