You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should i have got away from this hand?

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
villain's been loose all night,easy to say afterwards i should have folded.

CardsAmountPotBalanceLARSON7Small blind £0.02£0.02£3.78polplaysBig blind £0.04£0.06£3.90 Your hole cardsQA   FlqkFold    PepinoCall £0.04£0.10£13.75devonfish5Raise £0.20£0.30£11.54spinky6108Fold    LARSON7Fold    polplaysFold    PepinoCall £0.16£0.46£13.59Flop  7QQ   PepinoCheck    devonfish5Check    Turn  8   PepinoBet £0.04£0.50£13.55devonfish5Raise £0.31£0.81£11.23PepinoCall £0.27£1.08£13.28River  6   PepinoBet £0.32£1.40£12.96devonfish5Raise £1.18£2.58£10.05PepinoAll-in £12.96£15.54£0.00devonfish5All-in £10.05£25.59£0.00PepinoUnmatched bet £2.05£23.54£2.05PepinoShow8Q   devonfish5ShowQA   PepinoWinFull House, Queens and 8s£22.14 £24.19

Comments

• edited March 2013
    if you know he has been so loos the best thing would have been to just call his river.
    loose callers always seem to bet small then on the river either check or min bet the only time they seem to bet large is when they holding something strong and on this board with a straight being possible the chances are he would have been too scared of that to shove with just 3 queens.
    if he has been that loose he could have been holding a straight himself.
    it's just too hard to read them so the safest option is always call the river or raise but don't call shoves unless you holding straights on rainbow boards or K and A flushes.
  • edited March 2013

bet the flop, you're super deep and super strong vs a villain who is probabaly quite weak, you want to get as much money in as possible

turn is obv a raise, i prob make it slightly bigger but whatever

river is tricky, the way you've played it and with so little in it might be a fold.  need more reads really

• edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have got away from this hand?:
    if you know he has been so loos the best thing would have been to just call his river. loose callers always seem to bet small then on the river either check or min bet the only time they seem to bet large is when they holding something strong and on this board with a straight being possible the chances are he would have been too scared of that to shove with just 3 queens. if he has been that loose he could have been holding a straight himself. it's just too hard to read them so the safest option is always call the river or raise but don't call shoves unless you holding straights on rainbow boards or K and A flushes.
    Posted by craigcu12
    thanks craig,
    yeah,seems obvious now that a call would have been the wise option,but there was just so much to be gained from a v loose player.
    ob had it been say tintin 4 ex it's an easy fold.
    (funny as well, my brother Mark who plays on sky (snugs1963) just so happened to walk in as this hand was being played,and he said fold...so i should have listened to him  lol....and he's as loose as a goose.)
    still.another lesson learned.
    another note to write down...running out of space...lol
    :)
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    bet the flop, you're super deep and super strong vs a villain who is probabaly quite weak, you want to get as much money in as possible turn is obv a raise, i prob make it slightly bigger but whatever river is tricky, the way you've played it and with so little in it might be a fold.  need more reads really
    Posted by SHANXTA
    thanks shanx
    yeah,it's just i'm always thinking i'm so strong here i don't want to lose customer,hence the check on flop.
    guess it's from my DYM days. lol
    a habbit i've got to learn to break.
    still  got plenty to learn,haven't i.but felt good about y'days session...apart from this 1 hand.  lol
    cheers buddy
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have got away from this hand? : thanks craig, yeah,seems obvious now that a call would have been the wise option,but there was just so much to be gained from a v loose player. ob had it been say tintin 4 ex it's an easy fold. (funny as well, my brother Mark who plays on sky (snugs1963) just so happened to walk in as this hand was being played,and he said fold...so i should have listened to him  lol....and he's as loose as a goose.) still.another lesson learned. another note to write down...running out of space...lol :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    i myself would say it's only easier to read tintin preflop once the flop comes it's harder to read tintin than it is to read loose passive villians such as this one the only time i could see it being easier is if he limped in then shown real aggression to your bets as it will be likely that he is holding a set.
    had he made a raise which you then call preflop and he went on to make bets before shoving it could so easily mean KQ or AQ so i would still call most days with my AQ against him.
  • edited March 2013
    100% bet the flop, even more so if you say he's been loose all night.

You lost alot less than you should have (not in a good way)
  • edited March 2013
    100% bet the flop, even more so if you say he's been loose all night. You lost alot less than you should have (not in a good way)
    Posted by Lambert180
    How? he got stacked fool!!
  • edited March 2013
    What would you do with other hands on this flop?

If you had AK, AJ, KQ, 99, 9T, etc, would you c-bet this flop? Assuming the answer is yes then you should bet the flop with top-trips too because your opponent can think you might have AK, AJ, KQ, etc. Of course if he has something like 88 or A7, he may pay you on the flop but be scared by high cards on later streets.

As played on the river, we just have to take an opinion on whether this opponent is overvaluing his Qx hands more often than he's holding a house. If it can ever be something else like a bluff, that obviously factors in. It's player dependent but not many players are going to donk-lead then 3-bet on the river without a massive hand.

I agree with Shanxta about your raise size on the turn and I think it's a bit small on the river too. I think you're missing value there.
  • edited March 2013
    thanks guys...much apreciated.
    my bet sizing stil has a long way to go i know,and it's something i'm very much aware of.i am trying though.
    yes,i should have just called the river bet and saved myself a tenner,but at the time it seemed the right play going all-in so i'll have to reign it in i guess,even against v loose players.
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: should i have got away from this hand? : How? he got stacked fool!!
    Posted by Moonlit81
    Sigh! Too busy flicking through, and thought the action ended with the £1.18
  • edited March 2013

Hey Dev,

I sat down at the table, and there is you 2 massive chip leaders.

I was playing loooooose lol

I look away for 2 minutes and see you've been stacked.

With this hand, you need to bet the flop.

Your oppo is playing loose, but when he has a hand he normally shoves.

On the turn, he bets you reraise, he's all in, talk about over playing a full house.

We have to fold here, imo, we have under £2 in the pot. Previously, he has only shoved when he had the nuts orclose to it. Also the fact you are both so deep, the massive re-raise looks super strong.

Its a tough fold, but given the action and times when player has shobved previously i think we need to lay this down.

• edited March 2013
    Hey Dev, I sat down at the table, and there is you 2 massive chip leaders. I was playing loooooose lol I look away for 2 minutes and see you've been stacked. With this hand, you need to bet the flop. Your oppo is playing loose, but when he has a hand he normally shoves. On the turn, he bets you reraise, he's all in, talk about over playing a full house. We have to fold here, imo, we have under £2 in the pot. Previously, he has only shoved when he had the nuts orclose to it. Also the fact you are both so deep, the massive re-raise looks super strong. Its a tough fold, but given the action and times when player has shobved previously i think we need to lay this down.
    Posted by LARSON7
    hi buddy,
    yes,i could/should have bet the flop.but it wouldn't have changed anything,he would have called my bet with his Q8
    i should have folded his all-in bet but he'd been playing v loose and i saw it as a chance to win a big pot.
    it's all about the long term for me and these stakes and hands won or lost mean little as i'm quite well rolled for this level.
    i made a mistake which i paid for...literally.it's a work in progress for me playing cash and i'm sure many more mistakes will be made by me along the way.
    i try and learn from them though and maybe in a similar position next time,i'll find the fold button. 
    ty for your advice
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    The biggest thing in cash is you want to build value, at this level when you have a monster when you bet for value you are getting called.

You would have been called, you are just unlucky he hits his house on the turn.

I would say at this level, any level of cash, bet for value everytime, if you lose your customer so be it, but in the longer term it will be far more profitable.
  • edited March 2013
    The biggest thing in cash is you want to build value, at this level when you have a monster when you bet for value you are getting called. You would have been called, you are just unlucky he hits his house on the turn. I would say at this level, any level of cash, bet for value everytime, if you lose your customer so be it, but in the longer term it will be far more profitable.
    Posted by LARSON7
    thanks again m8
    yes,i'm sure u r right about betting 4 value and it's something i am/have been working on.
    having played dym for so long last year,which is basically all about getting chips and keeping them and survival,
    i'm finding it difficult not to check the flop and betting all 3 streets as i should be.
    it's coming though,and once i've got it firmly in my armoury and it becomes second nature,i'm sure the game will play that much easier.
    cheers :)
    dev
  • edited March 2013

Most of the others have summed it up.

If you slow play hands preflop and on the flop, you lose your chance to get the money in. At 2/4p I see a good 3 in 5 players automatically limp with Aces and Kings thinking it is clever to trap (I had one today who checked pocket Kings after 4 people had limped), but trying to go from a small pot to a big pot on one street (like your opponent did here) should send alarm bells ringing to your opponents. It only pays like when your opponent has Kings and you have slow played your aces or in this case, you both have Queens, but you have the better kicker until the turn.

You slow play and you get deception, but you lose the chance of a big pot and if you struggle to fold when the bad cards come, you can slow play yourself into oblivion.

I think I would bet flop. Bet turn and call if he raised. Call the river bet unless he polarises his whole stack

• edited March 2013
    Most of the others have summed it up. If you slow play hands preflop and on the flop, you lose your chance to get the money in. At 2/4p I see a good 3 in 5 players automatically limp with Aces and Kings thinking it is clever to trap (I had one today who checked pocket Kings after 4 people had limped), but trying to go from a small pot to a big pot on one street (like your opponent did here) should send alarm bells ringing to your opponents. It only pays like when your opponent has Kings and you have slow played your aces or in this case, you both have Queens, but you have the better kicker until the turn. You slow play and you get deception, but you lose the chance of a big pot and if you struggle to fold when the bad cards come, you can slow play yourself into oblivion. I think I would bet flop. Bet turn and call if he raised. Call the river bet unless he polarises his whole stack
    Posted by ballboy
    What does that mean?
  • edited March 2013
    Hard to fold river, but oppo sizing of min bet to shove stack - gives u an idea what oppo has
    Why does oppo go nutz on river and not on turn
    clues are out there
    hard to fold though because u under rep on flop

• edited March 2013
    thanks for all the advice guys.
    i only made the call bacause of how loose opponent had been,and would have made it had the bet been say £5
    yes,it's easy after the event to see i should have folded but it's just another mistake,regardless of the amount of money involved.
    i'll learn from it though.
    rancid your point has been noted 'why does opponent go nutz,? exactly.