You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Multitabling help.

As some of you probably know, i am relatively new to playing online poker. I mostly play live but have started to play online quite a bit in the past week.

I have a couple of questions about multi-tabling, the main one is how are you meant to be able read your opponents if you are playing 4-5 tables at a time and there are so many different people? This is the one thing i find most difficult about multi-tabling, is it just something that comes along with experience? The longer you multi-table the more used to it you will get?

Also, multi-tabling at nl4, which starting hands should we really be playing? I mean, i obviously play the premium starting hands, pocket pairs etc and suited connectors, hands like king-10, king jack in late position. I hardly ever play ace-rag (ace,8 and below) apart on the button to try and steal the blinds, is this the right way to play?

Comments

• edited March 2013
    i find the timebar an issue on sky, you just dont get long enough to make a decision. the most tables i ever play is 6, im comfortable with 4 and getting used to 6 but still feel lyk my heads spinning at times. ive got better at multi tabling by practice so i would say that practice could may well make perfect. i think my game suffers though the more tables i have open. i have no idea how some people 12+ table as if its nothing though.
  • edited March 2013
    Your opening range for 4NL sounds abuot right, and shouldnt really change when playing 4-5 tables.

As for reads, this is where note taking becomes important. Alot of your decisions will be straight forward when you play very ABC but there will be times when it will help to know for instance what it means when a player donkbets, for some players it means they have bottom pr or some weak hand, others it means they have flopped the nuts. So take notes on whenever someone does anything a bit wierd.

As for multi-tabling itself, don't just straight in at 4-5 tables if you don't multi table at all.

If you're playing a pretty tight opening range you'll probably find yourself folding a lot and being quite bored 1 tabling. If so, load another table, then if you find after a while, you're still bored and can keep on top easily and are still bored, load another. Rinse and repeat.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Multitabling help.:
    Your opening range for 4NL sounds abuot right, and shouldnt really change when playing 4-5 tables. As for reads, this is where note taking becomes important. Alot of your decisions will be straight forward when you play very ABC but there will be times when it will help to know for instance what it means when a player donkbets, for some players it means they have bottom pr or some weak hand, others it means they have flopped the nuts. So take notes on whenever someone does anything a bit wierd. As for multi-tabling itself, don't just straight in at 4-5 tables if you don't multi table at all. If you're playing a pretty tight opening range you'll probably find yourself folding a lot and being quite bored 1 tabling. If so, load another table, then if you find after a while, you're still bored and can keep on top easily and are still bored, load another. Rinse and repeat.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yeah, that's what i've been doing all week, started off at 1 table then went up to 2, was still folding a lot and was getting a bit bored so i went up to 3, and now i can do 4-5 at a time without much problems, but it's just the fact reading opponents is much harder, i do take notes here and there, but i normally miss what happens on one table because i'm busy making a decision at another table etc haha.

I suppose practise makes perfect, i will stick to what i'm doing the now as it is working so far, i will just try and make more notes on players whenever possible. Just takes a hell lot of concentration i suppose lol.
  • edited March 2013
    I'm in the same boat I'm more than comfortable playing 2 but hate the mini view and cant fit more than 2 standard sized tables on the screen. I've said to a few people and some have said they stay on standard view and just wait for the table they have to act at to flick up. Don't think this would suit me because I feel i would miss some info on opponents by not being able to watch all the action. 

I'm waiting patiently on the resizeable tables. Anyone hear anymore word on when we're likely to get this feature? Nudge nudge sky!
  • edited March 2013
    Yeah mini-view annoys me as well, but it's the best option to have as you can see what's going on all the tables at once i suppose haha.
  • edited March 2013
    hi ryan,
    i'd stick to playing just the 2 tables m8,and if u r winning say at the end of the month,then think about 3.
    as u say playing more tables means u miss reads,which are important,so don't rush into playing more tables than u can handle just for the sake of it.
    i was playing dym's last year and could play 15/18 tables but now i'm back playing cash,i'm only playing 2 tables,so  as not to miss reads and also keeping the ammount of blinds that need paying down to a minimum.

as to how to play...i'm no expert,i think u just need to find your own game,(i'm still trying to work it all out myself. ha ha) and what works for u and what doesn't.
    generally though 'tight is right' but by no means is the only way of playing cash.
    position is very important though imo, and that will never change.
    so some hands u might play on the button say,kj kq a10, etc, u probably shouldn't play in early/mid position.
    hope that's of some help.
    best of luck
    :)
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    Cheers devonfish, i will keep that in mind :)

Normally i play quite loose aggresive when i play live etc, just depends on who is at my table really lol. But not online at NL4 as if i try to make a play with 4,3 off suit i will get called by a lot of people as you know what NL4 is like lol. So for playing online, i change the way i play to tight aggresive, it seems to be working well so far anyway haha.
  • edited March 2013

It;s hard to record reads when you are 4 tabling, due to the speed things move at and action on other tables.

I don't think it's really required at NL4, unless it is a particuarly unusual/ interesting hand that has taken place.

Most times after playing at a table for a while you will get a feel for what is happening and how people are playing. Most stuff at 2p 4p is pretty transparent.

In saying that, I was playing tonight player who had been quite quiet, i flop 2 pair, bet out, oppo calls, on turn i stick in a good bet and am re-raised, there was no flush or straight draw. I thought for a minute, and convinced myself my top 2 pair was good, so shoved, I wasn;t calling the raise, as i was pot committed. Decided it was shove or fold, Of course he had a set! Took a note here.

But most times it's pretty obvious. Most times i just go with my gut feeling, which is normally correct.

• edited May 2013
    I really want to play more than two tables but can't get to grips with the mini view.
          Also is there any sound on the tables to tell you when it's your go. My sound card is broken. Would it be a good idea to get a new one?
          Also is there talk about Sky indroducing resizable tables cause that would be great for a mini view hater...
          Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...
  • edited May 2013
    hi bigbudd,

until the new tables arrive mate,then mini-view is I think your only option.
    it does take getting used to but once you do you really won't even notice the difference.

I've never had the sound on when playing so cant really help you there but if you are watching and concentrating on each table then you shouldn't need anything to tell you when it's your go,that should be automatic.

the new re-sizable tables are in the final stages of development/testing and should be coming shortly.
    by that I mean within the next few months-this year...hopefully.
    we have been hearing about how the new tables are coming...
    for the last 3 years.  lol
    be nice if and when they do arrive.
    also be nice if sky could keep us posted on their progress.

:)
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah a Devon said, the new tables are being tested, I'm one of lots that have been testing them and the new software does have re-sizable tables. What I'd say though is that when you re-size them small enough, they revert to a mini view style view anyway so you're gonna have to get used to it. Imo mini view is better anyway, it has all the things you need in one place, like the top up button and HH button for cash, or the number of runners/where you are etc in an MTT (and HH button again).

The only thing mini view currently lacks if you want this is a chat box but the new software keeps the chatbox there when going to 'mini-view' style.

One thing I was told was just get used to it, set your preferences for the tables to load in mini view and use it all the time, even if you're 1tabling, it won't take long to get used to it.

You should have auto-focus ticked and then the table will be moved to the front when it's your turn to act. There are sounds yes, but I usually have them off or turn my sound down very low.

Make sure you're using the download client because tables take up less space. Make sure you organise your seating properly, I sit in the same seat on every table, makes it easier to know where you're looking at every table. Make sure you use 4 colour deck, just so much better and you won't miss a flush or FD or w/e when playing loads of tables.

My guess is the new software will be open for use around August/September time.