You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Note Taking....

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat

Just wondered what type of notes people take on players, particuarly cash players...

I find myself writing down how a player played in one particular hand...

i.e Min re raised on the button with ak, flat called UTG with small pair etc etc etc....

Do people make notes as specific as that, or just genral observations?

Since sunday ive seen a few notes ive made saying "pr at" "get him" !I hate him" "he owes me a 100 quid" lol

Was in a right mess, my notes were as constructive as my play.

Any genral tips and also different opinions wud be appreciated here, Thanx

DOHH

Comments

• edited December 2009
    i generally put stuff like "calling station" "fish" etc
  • edited December 2009
     I find that general observations rather than specifics help with the note taking. How often they see the flop and range of hands they will call with preflop. Will they call down with top pair. These types of things.On the low level tables you have to know whether they understand pot odds or position because these can be woefully lacking in some players.

As you are aware if a player is any good then he will never play identical hands in exactly the same way each time. Sometimes they will limp with AK others they will raise. So it is best not to be target specific on hands or you could find yourself misreading them completely if they change any part of there game.

As you also know NEVER make personal notes on a player because they will cloud your judgement. Poker is a game best played with the mind and not the emotions
  • edited December 2009

If I did that sorta thing webby it wud be written against 99.9% of the players I play against so I take that bit for granted.

Is it dangerous to write about specific hands?

e.g, Re raises the button pre with ak suited....

I play this guy again 4 weeks later, he re raises the button pre, I click the note i've made, and automatically its in my head that he has got ace king! Maybe no note in this instance wud be better?

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
       As you are aware if a player is any good then he will never play identical hands in exactly the same way each time. Sometimes they will limp with AK others they will raise. Posted by Talon

Cn't remember the last time I limped with a premium hand pre in a cash game. Maybe my range of raising hands is bigger than most, thus encouraging action and disguising my hand in a different way. Do you play cash Talon? u seem to have alot of opinions on posts on here that differ from mine, not making them wrong, but they do make me think. Wud like to play u sumtime see how our styles clash.

Thanx for the reply, DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    never used to take notes dohhh,but have been fished so many times in mtts in the last few months ,that the villain now gets FISH ,put on their bonce.........now the next time we meet ,there will be no 3 quarter pot raises ,they will be double pot raise on the flop ,and allin on turn...............,lets get it on fishys ,cant wait to bump into u all ,and believe me ,there are a LOT of them......tens waiting..........
  • edited December 2009
      I do play a bit of cash on here and i must say that i really suck at it. It is the biggest frailty in my poker. That said i am pretty good in the DYMs and can hold my own in the slow structured tournys.

But i do consider myself to be a poker eunuch. When it comes to discussing the game and strategies i truly think i know a lot but when it comes to putting it into practice i fall down. I do not see the prospect of us clashing on the felt arising as i believe that you play at much higher stake levels than me. Our different styles would be an interesting match up though because as we both know neither style is right or wrong but what we feel most comfortable with.

Good luck on the tables
  • edited December 2009
    I have no problem playing lower levels, or higher levels I suppose for a 1 off game. When I first started using these forums, It was abit of a backlash, and alot of people suggested I try a deepstack, n I did, n I enjoyed it, and cashed, but wudnt do it all the time. I reguarly play low limit cash against my mates from donny, saves getting together n having to deal every hand lol. Not so much sit n gos but i'd give it a go deffo.

Like readin ya posts cuz they do come from a different angle.

U definately talk a gud game, how come u dnt play it so well then? I played a £1 sat earlier (see I mix it up alot especially at the start of the session) and saw barry was in it and 2nd in chips. (I see now hes in the next stage of the comp) But from reading the forum I gather he hasnt got a big enuff bankroll to play the d/stacks he promotes? I wonder why he must have a solid game, having won that freeroll 2 weeks runnin then came 4th I gather last night?

Is it a self belief thing? - Not directed directly at Barry btw just a genral question?

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Note Taking....:
    I have no problem playing lower levels, or higher levels I suppose for a 1 off game. When I first started using these forums, It was abit of a backlash, and alot of people suggested I try a deepstack, n I did, n I enjoyed it, and cashed, but wudnt do it all the time. I reguarly play low limit cash against my mates from donny, saves getting together n having to deal every hand lol. Not so much sit n gos but i'd give it a go deffo. Like readin ya posts cuz they do come from a different angle. U definately talk a gud game, how come u dnt play it so well then? I played a £1 sat earlier (see I mix it up alot especially at the start of the session) and saw barry was in it and 2nd in chips. (I see now hes in the next stage of the comp) But from reading the forum I gather he hasnt got a big enuff bankroll to play the d/stacks he promotes? I wonder why he must have a solid game, having won that freeroll 2 weeks runnin then came 4th I gather last night? Is it a self belief thing? - Not directed directly at Barry btw just a genral question? DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    The way I see it is you play poker at levels your comfortable with, just because people play £10 or less doesnt mean to say they are skint.
  • edited December 2009
    I make notes along the lines of
    "pays off large value bets with small hands" = Don't bluff, maximise value bets etc

Sounds really silly in isolation but they do help. I play the same games all the time so tend to see a few regular faces..
  • edited December 2009
    I have no problem playing lower levels, or higher levels I suppose for a 1 off game. When I first started using these forums, It was abit of a backlash, and alot of people suggested I try a deepstack, n I did, n I enjoyed it, and cashed, but wudnt do it all the time. I reguarly play low limit cash against my mates from donny, saves getting together n having to deal every hand lol. Not so much sit n gos but i'd give it a go deffo. Like readin ya posts cuz they do come from a different angle. U definately talk a gud game, how come u dnt play it so well then? I played a £1 sat earlier (see I mix it up alot especially at the start of the session) and saw barry was in it and 2nd in chips. (I see now hes in the next stage of the comp) But from reading the forum I gather he hasnt got a big enuff bankroll to play the d/stacks he promotes? I wonder why he must have a solid game, having won that freeroll 2 weeks runnin then came 4th I gather last night? Is it a self belief thing? - Not directed directly at Barry btw just a genral question? DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    It depends if you have the disposable income outside of poker to be able to build a bank roll. As a student I raked up alot of winnings which have produced good stats but whenever I win a MTT or have a real hot streak the money comes off and pays for rent etc.

That said, shouldn't be long untill I move up.
  • edited December 2009

I hope I didnt imply that people who play low are skint. I'm not always trying to have a go you know...

Thats why I suggested it might be a confidence issue? Or maybe going into the unknown, ie stepping up a level is abit daunting....

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    LOL DOHH , IT CAN BE TOUGH WORKING YOUR WAY UP ;)     KEEP IT GOING .....
  • edited December 2009
    many play different at different times of the day ..... i make just general statments ...... eg cant be priced out of a flush draw for a player who calls a pot bet with 1 card to go  or calling station for the draw chasers ..... klingon for players that cant fold a small poket pair even when they miss the flop ..... cant be bluffed ..... i list there all in betts kk ajs a10 os  get a feel of there all in range .... with the all ins i dont list if they are sort stacked

just my thoughts

Andy Bee
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Note Taking.... : It depends if you have the disposable income outside of poker to be able to build a bank roll. As a student I raked up alot of winnings which have produced good stats but whenever I win a MTT or have a real hot streak the money comes off and pays for rent etc. That said, shouldn't be long untill I move up.
    Posted by daveydavey
    It sounds to me davey that you are putting the ticks in all of the right places having read this post.Keep up the good work mate and i hope i wont be paying next weeks rent for ya.GL
  • edited December 2009
    yes it is a good thing  take notes on players  but good players change there style of play most of the time
  • edited December 2009
    I just write 'chatty' if the player likes a natter lol
  • edited December 2009
    I MAKE FEW NOTES ORLESS THERE ARE BLATANTLY OBVIOUS PATTERNS . DO FIND THE BOX USEFUL FOR OTHER THINGS TOO THOUGH ,SHOPPING LISTS , WASH DAYS , PIN AND TELEPHONE NUMBERS ....
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Note Taking....:
    Just wondered what type of notes people take on players, particuarly cash players... I find myself writing down how a player played in one particular hand... i.e Min re raised on the button with ak, flat called UTG with small pair etc etc etc.... Do people make notes as specific as that, or just genral observations? Since sunday ive seen a few notes ive made saying "pr at" "get him" !I hate him" "he owes me a 100 quid" lol Was in a right mess, my notes were as constructive as my play. Any genral tips and also different opinions wud be appreciated here, Thanx DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    any notes you make on a player  you should date them. in 6 months a player may have improved immensly for instance
  • edited December 2009
    My notes tend to be the likes of Tight/Loose, aggressive/passive etc., and I always put a date next to them so that I can monitor any changes in a players style.
  • edited December 2009
    My notes tend to be the likes of Tight/Loose, aggressive/passive etc., and I always put a date next to them so that I can monitor any changes in a players style.
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    How sad is this steve lol, your like( ri mmer) off red dwarf lol
  • edited December 2009
    I make copious notes on my opponents (shock).
    Online on SkyPoker these tend to be short and pithy (and unrepeatable) due to the limitations of the online note facility.
    Offline the notes are far more extensive but include examples of particular hands and also more general traits, e.g. "limped UTG with J3o" and "regularly bluffs the river with air or missed draws".
    I date and time each comment because people change over time and also change depending on the time of day. I have notes on several people who are solid during the day but are generous donors during the early hours of the morning.
    I realise that most people are not this detailed about notes; each person should make the type of notes that helps them.

• edited December 2009
    I probably make the same kind of notes as you dohhh.  Though it is sometimes hard when multitabling.  Sometimes I will play 1 or 2 tables just so I can make notes on everything I see.
    Also if its an mtt, I will put a `t` at the beginning of notes, and also the blind levels.  Just so I dont mix this up with cash game strategies and playing styles
  • edited December 2009
       As you are aware if a player is any good then he will never play identical hands in exactly the same way each time. Sometimes they will limp with AK others they will raise. Posted by Talon

I saw a good quote somewhere on here from Vicky Coren "Mixing your game up is NOT doing different things with the same hand but doing the SAME thing with Different hands"

A great piece of advice for mixing it up it think