You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Final table help

edited March 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi everyone i've been playing alot of 5.75 bounty hunter games recently and have found myself doing wel in them and quite regularly getting to FT's but when i get there everything just seems to go wrong and i barely ever finish better than 4th even if ive gone in with a decent chip lead, should i be changing the way i play when i get to FT's or stick to whats getting me to them in the first place?

Comments

• edited March 2013
    The main difference on a ft is that we prefer to take down the blinds than to see the flop, so try being more aggressive preflop in position, dont try to get in every hand, but stay tight looking, so that you get respect for a big raise-- losing any hand can cost a lot on a ft, so don't do it.
  • edited March 2013
    What he said plus adapt to players with you and the relative chipstacks, get more aggressive when down to four.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Final table help:
    What he said plus adapt to players with you and the relative chipstacks, get more aggressive when down to four.
    Posted by SoLack
    Plus, it helps to run like Solly!
  • edited March 2013
    Everyone has there own theories but its basially down to what suits your style. Your doing very well to FT alot but you have to remember that the average BB you'll have compared to the blinds will be shallower so a tighter more agg style normally suits. 

Biggest advice is try not call out of position and to be fair, try not to call at all. Raise or fold is normally best. When you raise always be aware of who you will call a shove and who you wont. This could be down to the opponents chip stack or the number of pots they are playing. Try and look for 3 bet shove spots too, a strong move that puts maximum pressure on an opponent.

Also, pick on mid stacks (even if your one yourself) if there is a player short and likely to bust. 

Dont be too hard on yourself tho, as on a FT its very rare you will come on as chip leader and stay there. Often you will flux between chip leader and last! Just try and give yourself the best chance by getting in the better spots. If you go out then you go out. 

Good luck.
  • edited March 2013
    thanks everyone i'll try to take it all on board and get a few tournament wins under my belt :D
  • edited March 2013
    If your getting to final table and getting your money in good then losing, your doing everything correct. If your getting your money in bad look to see if you could have avoided it :)
  • edited March 2013
    ha well played 2 more tournaments so far today and FT in one of them and guess where i finished.... 4th seems my favourite position, did take 6 bounties along the way so was very good result, and i know i made the right decisions at FT (had my AK lose to qq 2 times in 4 hands to knock me out) but had to go for it. i feel confident i'll win one of these things some time soon!!
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Final table help:
    If your getting to final table and getting your money in good then losing, your doing everything correct. If your getting your money in bad look to see if you could have avoided it :)
    Posted by jams88
    This isnt always correct. 

We can make the right desison and get it in behind. E.g. shove 10BB on the button with 99 and the BB wakes up with AA. 

Standard stuff. 

As for final table help, just depends on situations, structure and opponents, there is no right or wrong answer. 

If you want i think it would be better to post hands in the clinic with detailed background information and the tournament type, would be easier to offer proper advice.