You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A question for you please...

edited March 2013 in Poker Chat

Hi there everyone

Something we'd like to get your opinion on please.

Do you think people realise that Sky Poker is not on a poker network?

We would imagine (and might be wrong) that most community members do realise this fact and know that most, if not all, betting sites are on shared networks - but do you reckon that other customers know this?

We're not really looking for a conversation on how our software, traffic, promos etc compare. However, it would be interesting to discuss the awareness of networks and if you think Sky Poker could do to promote this better.

Thanks
Sky Poker

Comments

• edited March 2013
    It is surprising how many people dont know what a network is. When I used to play on some of the network sites, a lot of the players didnt realised that they were playing in a network, compared to say just the bookmaker they had an account with.

So to answer the question, I think that 99% of the people that know poker networks exists will realise Sky isnt on one. But I dont think a load of non regulars are even aware of networks.

For the record, the reason I now play on Sky Poker, is that they are in charge, they are not at the mercy of the network who can implement changes, or add/remove games as they (often wrongly imo) see fit.

I see this as a great usp, you often are listening to players comments and adjusting/adding to the tables in response to this.

Please please do not amalgamate with a network.

If I may be so bold, if you are looking to generate an influx of players, would it be worth contacting the sky broadband team and send flyers out with their routers to new customers? Might be totally barking up the wrong tree, but it wouldnt cost anything in terms of postage. Advertise it as some kind of "special bonus" for new customers.
  • edited March 2013
    I think the fact that Sky Poker is independent is a good thing as you are good at interacting with your customers and listening to us. This is very rare for a poker site imo. You also make brave and quick decisions about new promotions and mtts etc. 

However, the fact is that over 90% of us are recreational players who play for fun. We care more about the playabliity and functionality of the site than wether it is a "skin". I dare say that most people couldnt care less about the "skin" thing, as long as they enjoy playing on the site and don't have any technical issues to worry about. (like the lobby not opening or the table running slow for example)

So I say promote the fact that you listen to your customers, you are independant and are interactive, as this is true from my experience. But please also continue to concentrate on the technical stuff. I can't wait for the new type tables to come in that i saw a preview of a few months ago at an SPT for example. 

• edited March 2013

DO YOU THINK PEOPLE REALISE THAT SKY POKER IS NOT ON A POKER NETWORK?

i think the simple answer might be  NO

i myself have been playing here at Sky for nearly 3 years now,and consider myself to be a member of 'joe-public'. to me Sky Poker is just that Sky Poker,somewhere i come to play  and have fun,and try and win some money...obviously.
    i don't know about how it all works,neither do i want to,or about 'shared networks' etc.
    so my guess is there are probably many others 'in the same boat' as me,if you like.
    :)
    dev

• edited March 2013

Great feedback guys, thanks for taking the time to post - much appreciated.
  • edited March 2013
    For me I played on a couple of ipoker clients before i came to sky, and i hated it. Ive played on 888 too - cant remember the network that is, but it just doesn't feel good. If im honest, the 2 sites i've enjoyed most, Sky and Stars are both independent. 

The reason for that is, they care most about their client base. So far this year I've played almost fully on sky, I must admit, i probably would just change if you switched to either of the two networks I mentioned above. 

Although i beg of sky to come away from flash. 
  • edited March 2013
    I always knew sky poker wasnt on a network, however until recently I didnt relase that networks share players between sites.

FWIW I think Stars and Sky are the best 2 poker sites by far.

Stars - More players, rakeback you get money + Items, faster less laggy dealing.

Sky - Better community, MUCH better tornies, In pounds
  • edited March 2013

No, I dont know what the difference is, so guessing most ppl are the same?

What is the difference anyway?!

• edited March 2013

As DEL560 above, I never knew (and still don't to be hones) that there was any differences like being on a network, or what that really entails anyway.

• edited March 2013
    Hi,

Well I have read and seen on tv shows that Sky are not on a poker network, so I know, but it doesn't mean anything to me. 

What would be the advantages of this that you could promote - as I don't know what makes that a good thing, so I think it would be a good idea to promote it - and tell me why?

Thanks

Ruth
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: A question for you please...:
    No, I dont know what the difference is, so guessing most ppl are the same? What is the difference anyway?!
    Posted by DEL560
    If you play on a site as an example William Hill, they use the ipoker network (or at least they did last time i delt with them) this meant you could play people who used Titan poker aswell. 

However if you had a complaint, there was probably very little they could do about it. 

Ive heard stories about certain networks, which i wont name, and seriously i dont know why anyone trusts them. 

• edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: A question for you please...:
    In Response to Re: A question for you please... : If you play on a site as an example William Hill, they use the ipoker network (or at least they did last time i delt with them) this meant you could play people who used Titan poker aswell.  However if you had a complaint, there was probably very little they could do about it.  Ive heard stories about certain networks, which i wont name, and seriously i dont know why anyone trusts them. 
    Posted by The_Don90

Ok ty Don for explaining.  GL when the wee one arrives.

• edited March 2013
    Very good point, I have played on networked sites and the live help is awful. Whenever I had queries or complaints all I would be told was "we will forward your concern to the network". And that would be the last I ever heard of it, so in the end I decided to withdraw all funds and relocate.
  • edited March 2013
    Yeah similar to as people has posted above, most recreational players (which accounts for most of the poker playing population) do not know what a network is, or eve care.

On this basis I suspect most people don't know that Sky isn't but I don't think it's a big selling point. As Greg said, Sky have other USPs such as the great community, the fact feedback can be given here on structures, schedules etc and actually be listened to (despite what some people think). Obviously the TV show is a massive selling point, and all the free prizes given on the show, for DTD, Orfordable, Top of the Posts, Golden Tickets and ad-hoc things like the DYM challenge, the SnG challenge, the PLO DYM challenge.

This is a bit of an aside but I think from the promotional pot of money Sky have to spend, it can be spent on better things than more/bigger freerolls.

• edited March 2013
    I think a lot of people consider that Sky is a name they can trust---- Sky appears to have a lot more to lose in the event of any scandal than any other site online --- This, imo, is the main factor people consider when choosing Sky to make their first deposit online ---- when they discover that Sky is not on a poker network and is independent of them, this will certainly serve to reinforce their decision---- Imo,most beginners in the game will make their decision to join sky before they know about the advantages of not belonging to a poker network.

Advertising the fact that Sky is independent of poker networks may serve to attract experienced players that understand the advantages, or players that have been stung by a network site in the past, but the vast majority of beginners seem very unlikely to do the research before they decide to join sky.-- Therefore, imo, the advertising of sky's independence of poker networks is unnecessary where attracting beginners is concerned, but could prove very effective if sky were to concentrate on attracting experienced and/or professional players.
  • edited March 2013

To be honest I think the question from skys perspective is unrelavent from a marketing standpoint, if that's why thread is started.  You lot have two customer types (1) grinders and (2) hobbyists... not talking winnars/lossers.... just talking volume players and those who want to enjoy the game.

Grinders
    Most grinders know the online poker culture inside out, often spell stuff wrong deliberately, and have a solid awareness of what poker sites are available to them and the pros and cons of both. They know which sites are stand alone or a skin with shared pools. They're not really fussed about this but just want to play volume and the lowest rake and want the clients to make this as easiest as possible for them. Things like auto top up, time banks, rake races, solid promotions, strong rakeback or loyalty schemes will attract them.

Hobbyists
    Some might understand the online poker culture and what clients are out there, but honestly I suspect most won't.  It wont make a difference to them if a site is part of a shared pool or a skin or standalone.  They just want to enjoy the game and most will prob play on the site that they first ever deposited on and no where else unless its suggested to them by someone. It won't make them deposit more or player longer if you tell them sky poker is standalone - so i dont really understand the point of raising awareness.                                                                                                  

If you guys are brainstorming how to separate yourselves from the murky likes of ipoker who have had obv botting issues according to 2+2, entraction who rake players more depending winrates,party/bwin who are segregating winnars/lossers then i think you guys need to concentrate your marketing on what sky does best; your credibility (never had issues with UEIGA or FBI/DOJ)... never locked up all funds for no reason. you guys dont need to make a profit to survive as you have deep pockets so our online money is safe and very legal for us to play and deposit/withdraw. obv software needs improvement imo but i dont mind now and if it was perfect there'd be far too many beasts coming to sky and destroying the games.

But seriously you guys need to enter the mobile market fast wayyyy before zynga or big fish start offering real money mobile poker to capitalise on the uk market and then convert these acquisitions into client players.... please get it done.. nice one thanks !!!!!!!