You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hand from £5K Freeroll

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Should I be calling preflop here?
My thourghts are that he raised in early position prob had a hand equal or better to mine and i dont want to go to war at this stage when i am OOP with someone equal stack as me.
Also as i write this i just did exact same except with 22, 2 on board. Should I be folding 22 at this stage?
Thanks for thourghts.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancesighcallSmall blind 75.0075.006972.50WhizzewkyBig blind 150.00225.0010793.75 Your hole cards99   pixie919Raise 450.00675.006347.50hokhokhokFold    JonesywolfFold    SUPERSNEDDFold    sighcallFold    WhizzewkyCall 300.00975.0010493.75Flop  79Q   WhizzewkyBet 731.251706.259762.50pixie919Raise 2559.384265.633788.12WhizzewkyFold    pixie919Muck    pixie919Win 2437.50 6225.62pixie919Return 1828.130.008053.75

Comments

• edited March 2013

although he has raised you can't just expect him to hold the premium pairs he could hold AK or AQs i would call it most days and if you miss your set then just check fold

• edited March 2013
    with 7k behind and him bigger stack yeah yeah you should
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Hand from £5K Freeroll:
    although he has raised you can't just expect him to hold the premium pairs he could hold AK or AQs i would call it most days and if you miss your set then just check fold
    Posted by craigcu12
    If i am check folding if i miss then i am set mining, and should i be set mining this shallow?

I also feel that i am going to loose more then I win here OOP. Also dont want to see undercards and call down when he could easily have 1010+

What happens when 1 overcard comes, hard to play this shallow?

Thanks for the advice see what others say
  • edited March 2013
    stack sizes pls
  • edited March 2013
    just found them, yes we can peel 99, it's a v.strong hand, we can fold 22-66 but 99 too strong 
  • edited March 2013
    cant see stack sizes so need them to know wheather i want to call, 3 bet induce or jam but dont fold.
  • edited March 2013
    40BB effective i cant call quick enough pre. 

Also its a free roll and we has a pair. nuff said. 
  • edited March 2013
    We both have about 7K.

My thourghts are I dont want to go to war with someone when they open 3x UTG at this stage.

What flop are we happy to see? Any without a 9?

Dont want to stack off on just an overpair of 9's tbh. Dont wanna try and bluff when i miss with this stack.

• edited March 2013
    we just play poker postflop innit. we don't have to flop a 9 to win the pot. most of his range we're ahead of. 
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Hand from £5K Freeroll:
    we just play poker postflop innit. we don't have to flop a 9 to win the pot. most of his range we're ahead of. 
    Posted by percival09
    Are we? What can he hold that we arnt flipping/behind with?

What happens when the flop is 27Q? We bet?

What when flop is 278? I bet and he shoves on me?

Hmmmmmmmm i dont wanna get myself into trouble at this stage....
  • edited March 2013
    lol he's opened utg on a 6max table, his range should still be fairly wide. 22+ A10o+ A8s+ KQ etc. We don't have to donk bet, we can just check and see what he does. He's not just going to fire 3 streets bluffing, we can c/c 1 street on a Q high board depending on bet size, but if he continues then we can just fold. We might be put into a difficult spot sometimes but we are playing poker after all, if you're not comfortable with your postflop play then I guess you can fold
  • edited March 2013
  • edited March 2013
    Why do we make his UTG raising range so tight? Is this not a freeroll?

Anyway, if he does have a tight range, with more or less 45BB effective we can definitely set-mine for 2.5BB. That tight range means we can be fairly confident of getting paid. We might also get the big blind in behind us for extra implied value.

If, as seems more likely in the absence of specific reads on the opponent, his opening range is fairly wide, we can play 99 as percival has suggested: On good flops we can call a c-bet and reassess on the turn. Play 99 as though it's the best hand a significant portion of the time.

Why would you want to donk-bet this hand, though? Alot of players balance their donking range by never donking at all. There's alot to be said for that but if you are ever going to donk-bet you should probably only donk-bet with a polarised range.

By that I mean you should donk-bet when i) you're confident you have the best hand, so you know you're value betting, and you should balance that by donk-betting when ii) you're confident you're behind, so you know you're bluffing. Donk-betting with marginal value-hands is just going to leave you in tricky situations when your opponent raises you and will mean losing the value of a c-bet from an opponent that's missed and just folds.

You should really have a decent idea of how your opponent reacts to donks-bets before you do it. You also need to be able to justify why it's a better option than check-raising or check-calling in a given situation.