You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sound Advice For Continious Bad Beats

edited December 2009 in Area 51
I'm not sure whether you're like me and top up your account daily, and hopefully withdraw your profit at the end of play?

I have come up with the best conclusion that I can about Bad Beats, the famous Sky River Card and what can only be best described as stupid successful bets which happens far too much on this site.

The conclusion is to withdraw fully whats left of your original deposit, you know, your hard earnt cash,  head off to another poker site, make a deposit on their one and avoid the above mentioned and start to enjoy your game again!!

Easy................. Job Done!!

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Then you will meet the famous ladbrokes, hills etc river card
  • edited December 2009
    Quite possibly, but at least that way you get a break from this circus and can start off a fresh on another site.

I mean, if you play frequently, you are bound to suffer bad beats, it's part and parcel..... but what I am saying is that your game dosen't change, only the cards. You must have had it at some point on here, no matter what cards you pull, AA KK AK suited or a decent pocket pair you just can't win with them - not saying that will change elsewhere, but at least it gives you a break from here.
  • edited December 2009
      My first thought whenever i hear stories about continual bad beats is to tell the person to give serious thought to the hands involved. Too many bad beat stories i have heard can be put down to a mistake made by the player themselves by not betting enough for example. Sometimes it is better to take down a smaller pot than to risk losing the larger one.

Also look at the level of opponents you are playing against. If it is in a freeroll, forget it as this is bad beat central.At the lower levels you can find some good players who just have a limited bankroll but there are also a lot of players who do not have any knowledge of the finer points of the game like position and pot odds.

But most importantly remember that when we bet we want to receive a bad call from people as this is where we can make money, unfortunately this also gives them the chance to suck out on us.
  • edited December 2009
    Talon - I appreciate your quality reply.

All of what you have mentioned about the finer points in poker are always considered in the way I play. I usually play £5 DYM games, and some of the calls and betting that goes on in them leave alot to be desired. I'm a steady kind of player that has rules and limits and I like to think that I can read a player after a few hands etc....

But what I am trying to say mate is that my game never changes, no matter what site I play on. I must admit to liking Sky but you just know the outcomes of certain hands etc....

When I say my game never changes I mean that I have certain cards that I will play and obviously muck.... I can't help but think to myself at times that sky chooses your tilt times, crazy,  people may think, but it's just a thought I have.

I went away and played a few hours on another site after initially posting this and came away up, returned here and lost my first two games!! One was good play, and one was an unbelievable call and bad beat.

I had AQ D and raised the guy, he re-raised to 750 and I followed, flop was 10D AC 2D I bet 450 he raised to 900, so again I followed, turn was 7C so thought sod it all in, as he did, 9C dropped and I got beat by a flush, he was holding 3C 6C - I mean, explain that to me!!!

I know people say its poker and I have heard of variance till the cows come home, but I can't help but think Sky puts you on tilt rather than bad play or the like.

I'm not moaning, but at times I think to myself that the only one that is losing out here is Sky itself.

I just refuse to budge from now on and will play a lower amount of games on here if it continues to happen and play my same game elsewhere.

I can't help but continue to think to myself that Sky encourages players to play raggy aces, loose calls etc with the RNG they use. It's starting to seem that I just moan about this site, but to be honest, it's giving me plenty to moan about!

Time for an extended rest from this site (bearing in mind I may play upto 15-20 SNG games per day), and as I said it's Sky itself that is losing out in the long run.

Good Luck at the tables Talon
  • edited December 2009
    lol i doubt sky and mr murdock really care about missing out on your £8 rake a day. The hand you lost with AQ... a number of mistakes you made, let me know if you want me to talk you through them.
  • edited December 2009
    Go on then BlackFish - talk me through them, I'm all ears. And do I have to pay for your expertise tuition?!!

And concerning the rake fees etc... It's all the £8 rakes, higher and lower that keep this site going, including Tourney fees of various levels. How do you think they make their money, or is that a silly question as you're going to teach me a few things in your next post!

So in a way, a small way of course, they should care.........