You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Folding Aces?

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Satelite to 10k bh tonight, blinds 500/1000, i have 13k, raiser has 17k, short stack has 1,800. The big stack was folding quite alot of hands so when he raised this big i presumed he would of called an all in. 1st and 2nd gained entry to tournement, and 3rd got some cash. Do i just fold and hope the shorty gets eliminated next few hands?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancejenars Small blind  500.00 500.00 1840.00 murray69 Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 13900.00  Your hole cards A A    56pomp Raise  4000.00 5500.00 13760.00 jenars Fold     murray69

Comments

• edited March 2013
    I can only assume he's trying to get the short stack all in... I'm shoving all day and I think he'd probably fold so not to risk his stack unless he has KK... And if he suckers you then yeh it's a nightmare but the short stack could make a couple double up and survive too and then you regret it?
  • edited March 2013
    I think you call and then hope they don't get cracked. So easy for the short stack to double up a couple of times
  • edited March 2013
    So there's 4 left and 3 get paid? Doubt the cash would be brilliant you want the seat to the tourney so I'd be shoving here going for the top two! Having the chip lead is these things is good as people will think twice about shoving light vs the only player who can take them out! Guessing you shoved and got a bad beat though!
  • edited March 2013
    No i think there's 3 left and he's saying he wants the ticket.
  • edited March 2013
    Horrible horrible spot imo.

If we assume that we're virtually 100% to get a seat if we call and win (which we virtually are). If we call, we're gonna win aruond 80% of the time.

Then the question becomes, if we fold, will we cash more than 80% of the time.... I don't know the answer, just saying lol.
  • edited March 2013
    would just shove and close my eyes
  • edited March 2013
    Fold and don't tell anyone that you had AA

I don't even think its close either
  • edited March 2013
    yeah I just fold
  • edited March 2013
    I agree with Ncolley. This isn't even close. We have 14BB behind and the short stack has 1.5BB. This is a really easy fold.

No need to get in a willy swinging contest with the other big stack.
  • edited March 2013
    use ICM from http://www.icmpoker.com/Calculator.aspx, i assume 2 players each get 50% of the prize pool, 3rd gets zero for the calculation

your prize pool equity if you fold is 0.4518, the large stack is 0.4712 and the mini stack 0.07
    if you raise AI and he folds the ratios are essentially reversed, you now have 0.47 eq
    if he calls however your equity =(0.5 x 0.83 ish)=0.415, all the equity goes the tiny stack.

The realility is the big stack has made a huge mistake by raising less than AI, and should fold to your AI even if he knew you had TT and he had AA (0.5 x 0.8)=0.4, whereas if he folds his Ev is 0.45.

but this is low stakes and people play badly, the answer lies with your opinion of your villain-if hes a muppet fold, if hes good (rare) RR all in.

as played, if mini stack calls, call, otherwise fold
  • edited March 2013
    I could never fold aces pre flop in any situation, but that is just the way I am haha.

Everyone is different though :P
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Folding Aces?:
    I could never fold aces pre flop in any situation, but that is just the way I am haha. Everyone is different though :P
    Posted by skeg_poker
    Theres situations where folding aces pre is the correct thing to do. This is the bubble of a sat, with 4 players left, we're guarenteed a seat almost. 

One of the few times i think folding aces pre is correct. 
  • edited March 2013

Thanks for the replies, it was a £7.20 direct to tonights £33 game. There was 3 of us left, i think 3rd got around £18 but i wanted the seat. Anyway i folded.

Then next hand the shorty doubled up, and then shoved on me the hand after i think, i had 10 10 and called and he had 5 5. He flopped a set but i turned a flush and won, but if i would of lost that hand i would of been in 3rd place. So it made me think that maybe i should shove with the Aces, but at the time i folded them the fold seemed the correct play. Was just intersted to see what other people thought. Thanks :)

P.S still dont know what ill do with them next time lol

• edited March 2013
    not even bubble for the seat, ignore the cash unless it's big cash and you have AA - the only hand you can shove in this spot
  • edited March 2013
    My understanding is that it's the bubble for the seat and next out will get the cash.

2 seats + cash and 3 players left.
  • edited March 2013
    The 3rd place gets £18 which is only £15 short of the buy in value for the seat so this must change that ICM calc quite a bit.
    Though I haven't a clue what the calc should be - would be interested to see if someone with more knowledge can factor that in.
  • edited March 2013
    My understanding is that it's the bubble for the seat and next out will get the cash. 2 seats + cash and 3 players left.
    Posted by Lambert180
    true - sure it's a fold if sb folds

if sb calls then just flat

oppo behind should just check it down

if oppo shoves behind then sigh fold and curse them if they lose
  • edited March 2013
    If the pre-flop aggressor knows what they're doing, they will almost certainly lay down anything that isn't also AA. They are putting pressure on the short stack and expecting you to fold anything that isn't AA. As Rancid says above, AA is the only hand you can shove with here.

I personally go over the top then wince when they call with AA and make a flush!
  • edited March 2013
    I would tell him in the chatbox that I had AA and then shove! (actually not sure if that is aloud or not - we're only ones left in the pot so it should be ok but don't know!!) 

There's a good chance with this raise that he probably has a hand like AK, making us even more of a favourite than 80/20. Any good player is never raising 4x the BB here so I'm not sure I'd be confident of him folding if I went all in (even though it would be the correct play on his part) Personally I'd do the shortie stack a favour, shove all in and cribble the big stack when he loses. 
  • edited March 2013
    ivanovic - pretty sure that's not allowed. lol.
  • edited March 2013
    I would tell him in the chatbox that I had AA and then shove! (actually not sure if that is aloud or not - we're only ones left in the pot so it should be ok but don't know!!)  There's a good chance with this raise that he probably has a hand like AK, making us even more of a favourite than 80/20. Any good player is never raising 4x the BB here so I'm not sure I'd be confident of him folding if I went all in (even though it would be the correct play on his part) Personally I'd do the shortie stack a favour, shove all in and cribble the big stack when he loses. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    no good player is gonna 4x full stop at this blind level, its terrible, im jamming here all day long with 4 left and only 2 getting a seat.
  • edited March 2013
    There's 3 left!!!

3 left, so 2 seats and whoever goes out next gets the cash.
  • edited March 2013

Christ, as Lambert has stated several times, and myself. There are 3 players left, 2 get seats! And the short stack has 1.8bb's.

Im glad this got many replies, and theres alot of dispute over what the correct play is, im still in the middle, i still dont know what to do lol

• edited March 2013
    If you shove and get called, the only thing you are achieving is giving free equity away to the 1.8bb stack. 

• edited March 2013
    Your action is determined by the ss, if ss folds then fold

if ss calls then just call but fold to a shove from behind

----

done ICM calc and it's a fold after sb folds -

even if oppo calls your shove with:
    66+,ATs+,AJo+
  • edited March 2013
    It's a dip, dip, dip, my blue ship job, you got what you aimed for so it was right.
    But if it had gone t1ts up you would have kicked the cat to death.... 
  • edited March 2013
    I aint done any ICM calcs cos I have no idea how to but the more I think about it, the more I think this is a shove.

If we ship, get called and win we should get a seat vritually 100% of the time.

With that in mind, if we ship I still think the big stack should/will fold a fair amount of the time given how short the other guy is. So when we get called we're gonna be winning at least 80%+ of the time, with the amount of folds we get, I'd estimate we're gonna get knocked out in this hand probably <5% of the time.

Can we really be sure we will cash 95% of the time if we fold?
  • edited March 2013
    This is it, if you put yourself in the position of the original raiser (ok ignoring the fact that the bet size wouldn't have been so large) what can you call a shove with when the SS is sitting there with 1.8BB?? Ok, you're trusting them to think logically which considering the original raise size might be slightly optimistic, but I would suggest the raise is there to pressurise the SS knowing that the 99.5% of the time you're not holding AA you have to fold.

I would hope a shove gets through enough of the time to make this correct.
  • edited March 2013
    So wait! - you're telling me there's only three left? - And the next one gets the cash? - I can't get my head around it. - there must be a fourth person at least? - lol.

All joking aside I think I'm going with it. you're never going to get a better hand (presumably if you were first to act you would have shoved?) and you know he can't have you dominated, - so yeah you could get unlucky and go out, but odds are in your favour & we're playing an odds based game, so that has to be a determining factor. -

as someone else mentioned, - the £18 cash you'd get is half of the buy in anyway, so if you do luck out, then you're over half way to your destination (not ideal I grant you, but better than nowt).

Also I think I'd put the villain on a medium-ish hand at best as I think He'd shove with anything decent (including small-mid pairs?) - perhaps that is an indication of their level of competence,

so IMO range includes Ace-X (in which case you're way ahead) or two paint cards even as far as higher suited connectors) - either way, they're miles behind to Aces and if you're not going to take a risk now & again...,  

Fortune favours the bold!

That said, you're probably best not listening to a word I'm saying.

Glad you won in the end anyway, - even if you did get a nesty sweat. - I hope you go on to do well tonight mate.
  • edited March 2013
    The raiser had raised to 4k, once previous maybe about 8 hands or so before this hand, but i never got to see his cards. I ended up finishing 21st in the tournement but made some stupid donk move that knocked me out.