You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ladies

edited March 2013 in Poker Chat
If you know your villain is a lady, do you assume they play tight?  Discuss please.

Comments

• edited March 2013
    PS Play nice boys
  • edited March 2013
    yes ofc. unless she's called vanessa and has short hair and is married to a woman
  • edited March 2013
    I find that almost every woman I've ever played live has felt that men play differently against them because they're women.

I also find that men play the same against tight women as they do against tight men. I find men play against loose women (had to say it) the same way as they do against loose men. I find men play against fishy women the same way as they play against fishy men. (Of course there will be exceptions but this is generally true)

I've been told myself by a woman that "You play differently against me because I'm a woman". The reality was that I was indeed playing differently against her... because she was terrible.

I think it's almost always more about the woman's perceptions than it is any genuinely prejudiced thoughts from the man.
  • edited March 2013
    am i the only one who finds  boringloner discussing "loose women" "tight women" and "fishy women" rather contradicting? 

No offence to women - just boring loners ;) 
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Ladies:
    am i the only one who finds  boringloner discussing "loose women" "tight women" and "fishy women" rather contradicting?  No offence to women - just boring loners ;) 
    Posted by The_Don90
    I've met women. Some of them have spoken to me. No joke.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Ladies : I've met women. Some of them have spoken to me. No joke.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    BL, how many times have I told you now, your mum does not count!
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Ladies : I've met women. Some of them have spoken to me. No joke.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    You are using the term "met" loosely I see. I mean £5 a minute on web cam isn't cheap! :)
  • edited March 2013
    this can never end well. 
  • edited March 2013
    In respect of the OP's question. 

Yes, women, generally are considered to be tight poker players by men. So it is a massive advantage in live poker to be an aggressive female player imo (until you are found out lol)

Online, it doesn't matter so much as lots of men have female avatars so i never know who is male and who isn't, if I haven't found out before, or met them in person. 

• edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Ladies : You are using the term "met" loosely I see. I mean £5 a minute on web cam isn't cheap! :)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    That's outrageous! £5 a minute!? I know a site where... wait a minute! You nearly got me there. ;)
  • edited March 2013
    In respect of the OP's question.  Yes, women, generally are considered to be tight poker players by men. So it is a massive advantage in live poker to be an aggressive female player imo (until you are found out lol) Online, it doesn't matter so much as lots of men have female avatars so i never know who is male and who isn't, if I haven't found out before, or met them in person. 
    Posted by GREGHOGG

Why do so many men have female avatars?
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Ladies : Why do so many men have female avatars?
    Posted by MrJoeBlogs
    I have no idea! 

• edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Ladies : Why do so many men have female avatars?
    Posted by MrJoeBlogs
    Because there's a silly idea that all women are bad at poker. So if you have a neutral sounding name with a female avatar, some foolish people may assume you're a woman (and bad).

Probably worked about 5 years ago, doubt it does anymore.
  • edited March 2013
    Yeah. Some people actually put their alias as like "Sue1948" and put up the female avatar. Good idea imo
  • edited March 2013

Nowt finer than a loose woman.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Ladies:
    If you know your villain is a lady, do you assume they play tight?  Discuss please.
    Posted by RogueCell

i think crazykaren disabused me of that idea many moons ago

• edited March 2013

Yes, they generally play very loose and weak and bad.
  • edited March 2013
    Yes, they generally play very loose and weak and bad.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    They can't all be like me.
  • edited March 2013
    Posted by BorinLoner
    PS are you the guy with one eye who groped me at my first live event????
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Ladies : PS are you the guy with one eye who groped me at my first live event????
    Posted by RogueCell
     No that was snake eye.
  • edited March 2013
    I played with a nun once and she was as tight as a nit, and loved 7 card stud.
  • edited March 2013
    I played with a nit once and--------------------------------, she also liked 7 card stud!!
  • edited March 2013
     Poker success often depends on our ability to predict eachothers actions, and that's as sexist as I'm going to get on this thread.
  • edited March 2013
    I played with a nit once and--------------------------------, she also liked 7 card stud!!
    Posted by oynutter
    PMSL!!!!!
  • edited March 2013
    Fine Young Cannabals!!

"SHE DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!"

nuff said
  • edited March 2013
    OK, to bring this back to the OP:

The stereotype that women in general play much tighter than men goes back a long way.  It was first popularised by Mike Caro in his book of tells.  He essentially racially and sexually profiled ethnicities and women into categories, of course he never did this for a white male because I assume he thought they had no tendencies, being one himself.

The basis for the stereotype goes to fact that up until recently very few women compared to the amount of men playing had any interest in poker.  It was exceptionally rare for a woman to walk into a poker room on her own because she wanted to play, the few women there were normally brought/dragged along by their male partner.  As a result, the majority of these women weren't very experienced and took a very risk adverse route to starting hands.

This has now changed IMO, however a lot of men still maintain the stereotype.  As a result, an intelligent woman can now rip certain male players a new one by picking their spots carefully and causing absolute carnage.  So no, I don't assume that.  It is still the case that if you take every female player in the world and put them on a Vpip graph, the mean average would still lean towards the tight, however people really need IMO to stop using stereotypes as a starting point for ranges and start everyone from point dot.  I know many pros (very good ones too) still do this in MTTs as you get so many new faces and they feel the need to start from a point 'before proven otherwise.'  I prefer letting them worry about me and hopefully I'll pick up on their tendencies pretty quick.  Starting from a stereotype point just encourages lazy play when you're not in a hand IMO.
  • edited March 2013
    Don't assume anything