You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this always a fold?

edited December 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
smartgolf Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £64.80
coolconn Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £20.19
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

CLIOKID Raise  £2.00 £2.75 £153.85
goodylad21 Fold     
FillPots Fold     
big-bluff Fold     
smartgolf Raise  £7.75 £10.50 £57.05
coolconn Fold     
CLIOKID Call  £6.00 £16.50 £147.85
Flop

• K

smartgolf Check     
CLIOKID Check     
Turn

• K

smartgolf Bet  £16.50 £33.00 £40.55
CLIOKID Call  £16.50 £49.50 £131.35
River

smartgolf All-in  £40.55 £90.05 £0.00

I couldn't work this one out in my head. The table had gone a bit mental in recent hands, partly down to me :)

Villain had been playing very loose/aggro, I should have probably 4bet but I was being a bit cautious as I had just won a very big pot with a huge call with a very marginal hand and I thought I'd slow down a bit.

So, I get 3-bet and I flat. Fairly standard but against this villain 4bet could have been an option.

The flop is checked to me, I check behind.

The turn pairing the K and he pot bets out? Now I know he isn't checking AK or KK and firing pot on the turn so I call.

River is a 6 double pairing the board - and he shoves. Now I just didn't think that he had a K in his hand and the line just didn't make sense for that.

And AA or QQ I just thought would surely slow down after being called on the turn.

It looks like it should be a fold most of the time here.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    think hes bluffing  betting hes got a ten  your jj is good call
  • edited December 2009
    your right his line makes no sense at all. How can he 3 bet and check that board?? u'd be guessing his range, had this guy been 3 betting light? is he a fish??

The only thing that concerns me is that he will know you are a good regular and wont be calling oop light, so why would he try and take this line as a bluff? seems like an overbet to induce a call on the turn, but when you check call the turn OOP he must think you intend on check calling most rivers... so wud he run a bluff here.. I pass this.
  • edited December 2009
    I actually tanked and called at last second.

He had TT and the shove on the river still doesn't make sense but I guess it worked!
  • edited December 2009
    that is the sickest river for him, to be fair 10 10 is one of the hand i put him on but wen he shoves the river anyway, a call from JJ seems tempting.

generally tho, if a fish manages to confuse you in a hand and you dont understand their line then i usually let them have the pot.
  • edited December 2009
    i dont understand the turn call myself, i think you either fold/raise, find out where you are because the river came he bets out you dont have a clue
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Is this always a fold?:
    i dont understand the turn call myself, i think you either fold/raise, find out where you are because the river came he bets out you dont have a clue
    Posted by Hogg321
    what! Why turn your hand into a bluff? Raising the turn is like giving money away.

call turn, fold river.
  • edited December 2009
    When most people 3bet pre, then check a flop, they have hit it huge. I fold turn over 80% of time. A good thinking playing vbets AA/QQ here.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Is this always a fold?:
    think hes bluffing  betting hes got a ten
    Posted by scrumdown
    does not compute.

With no reads I fold.

Given recent history, I 4-bet pre, but, as played, probably still fold.