You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tournaments

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic

What is everyones opinion on Tournaments? Is it mainly luck of the card or is it playing well & luck? I ask this question because at the moment my tournament game is....well...so so

Going to sound 'obvious' but unless i run well i get nowhere! But im not talking about having say KK vs AA and hitting a K i mean like having KQ on a board of KQ92 and the chips going in and the opponent having A9 and an A comes on the river!

Wondering if anyone else finds this that unless they run like a G they get nowhere. Im wondering if its something im doing? maybe im betting to much or just playing like a donk! I donk think it is that? I do play the same every tournament so it could be the way im playing?

Obviously you cant see the way i play but just after some feed back on how the rest of you do in tournament and if any of you seem to be like me

19MUFC19 (Not 19 Forever)

Comments

• edited March 2013
    you have only played 54 mtts according to sharkscope so you have played no where near enough to no whether your good or bad, tommy d has topped the leader board on sharkscope for mtts for the last 2 year, this is not coincedance so no they arnt just look.
  • edited March 2013
    In tournaments alot of it is making your own luck but you do need to run well in some spots. If you look at just the main events this past week, its no suprise to me to see Bromley04 and Mattbates on the fianl tables of several of them. And i assure you thats not because they run like god. 

The key really is to learn different structures and adapt a style to these. An example would be the 3 min sats into events, soo many people hate them but i believe with the right strategy they can easily be long term winners. 

For actual mtts again winning strategys can be adapted, im not going to tell you how to play. I do well in the mtts i play but i know of other players who do just as well and play almost the exact opposite of how i do. The main thing though is to understand the blind levels and play accordingly. For example, you dont need to get QQ all in pre first hand of a deepstack, but in a hyper turbo 88 might be a call. 
  • edited March 2013
    There's definitely good advice out there for you to put together a good tournament technique. I won't pretend to be good enough to teach anyone anything but I'd say I've learnt lots from watching videos and asking top players. Deep stacks are great way of developing your tourny technique but obviously things change in faster games...
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournaments:
    you have only played 54 mtts according to sharkscope so you have played no where near enough to no whether your good or bad, tommy d has topped the leader board on sharkscope for mtts for the last 2 year, this is not coincedance so no they arnt just look.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Where do i find this? I can never find what i played etc etc?
  • edited March 2013
    In tournaments alot of it is making your own luck but you do need to run well in some spots. If you look at just the main events this past week, its no suprise to me to see Bromley04 and Mattbates on the fianl tables of several of them. And i assure you thats not because they run like god.  The key really is to learn different structures and adapt a style to these. An example would be the 3 min sats into events, soo many people hate them but i believe with the right strategy they can easily be long term winners.  For actual mtts again winning strategys can be adapted, im not going to tell you how to play. I do well in the mtts i play but i know of other players who do just as well and play almost the exact opposite of how i do. The main thing though is to understand the blind levels and play accordingly. For example, you dont need to get QQ all in pre first hand of a deepstack, but in a hyper turbo 88 might be a call. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    I think it might be the way im playing Don? Like you say these players who make it to the final table on a regular basis cant just be lucky they have to be good.

Id say i have a fair grasp on playing position and blind levels etc etc... Maybe it the level im playing at? It could be a number of things thats why i was just interested to see if anyone else  has had the same thoughts as me on the way their tournaments seem to go

• edited March 2013
    There's definitely good advice out there for you to put together a good tournament technique. I won't pretend to be good enough to teach anyone anything but I'd say I've learnt lots from watching videos and asking top players. Deep stacks are great way of developing your tourny technique but obviously things change in faster games...
    Posted by 10NGY
    Ive got all kinds of book and videos on poker mate and im watching videos on the internet all the time
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournaments : I think it might be the way im playing Don? Like you say these players who make it to the final table on a regular basis cant just be lucky they have to be good. Id say i have a fair grasp on playing position and blind levels etc etc... Maybe it the level im playing at? It could be a number of things thats why i was just interested to see if anyone else  has had the same thoughts as me on the way their tournaments seem to go
    Posted by 19MUFC19
    Post up some hands, i think that way we can get some better feedback. Dont bother with hands like KQ v A9 all in on KQ9 board, but hand where you feel youve been outplayed or made a mistake. Im sure myself and vast amount of better players than me will be happy to comment. Just dont post every hand youve ever played like some. 
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournaments : Ive got all kinds of book and videos on poker mate and im watching videos on the internet all the time
    Posted by 19MUFC19
    Videos are massively over-hyped. Watching is not nearly as valuable as interacting.

So post on threads in the clinic or other forums with your detailed thoughts. That allows people to challenge your ideas, erradicating errors and reinforcing good play.

Don't just say "I'd raise pre-flop and flat the bet on the flop". That's useless. Explain why, in detail. God knows there are enough of us who'll tell you if we think you're wrong.

MTT's are very high variance. No matter how good you are, you won't win or cash big in a very high proportion of them.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournaments : Where do i find this? I can never find what i played etc etc?
    Posted by 19MUFC19
    http://www.sharkscope.com/

click on statistics, put in your alias and click sky poker
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournaments : Ive got all kinds of book and videos on poker mate and im watching videos on the internet all the time
    Posted by 19MUFC19
    if you have a friend who is a good mtt player, ask him to watch you play,he may spot some leaks in you game, u may only need to be finely tweaked to improve dramatically