You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thinking of moving up to nl10, need advice.

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
2 weeks have passed since i started playing online, just playing NL4 every day, no tournaments or anything just cash.

Anyway i started off with £120, and now my bankroll is currently at £253 which is 25 buy-ins for nl10, and good enough to start playing there, right?

Only thing is, i still view myself as a new online player, i have no idea what to expect at nl10, if it will be any different to nl4 or anything lol.

I won't move up until i'm 100% ready and confident, but if anyone has any tips or advice for me it would be much appreciated, thanks. (Remember i play at titan not sky, so don't tell me what nl10 is like here just give me brief thoughts on what nl10 is like overall) :)

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Just C + P this cos I posted it in BBV 5 mins ago to someone...

One thing I would say is that 10NL is very different from 4NL in some ways. You will still still get plenty of players playing just as bad as the ones at 4NL do, but imo not nearly half as many as you do at 4NL. Be wary of nut peddlers, you should learn fairly quickly which players only ever raising post-flop with big made hands. Still plenty of people calling too often pre, calling too much OOP, calling bets post flop with terrible pot odds etc but imo here is defiitely where you want to be focusing on getting some of the good foundations layed down firmly in your game. For instance, at 4NL I don't think it's that important to be balanced, I don't think there's any problem with raising 3x w/ 66 but 5x with AA @4NL, you just won't get exploited, but at 10NL people will start to pick up on it.
  • edited March 2013
    25 BIs sounds fine, but just be prepared to step down and rebuild if necessary. We'll all have periods where we lose 5-10 BIs no matter how good we are.

I don't know about 10NL on Titan (where you play) cos I've only ever played SnGs on there but if it's anything like Sky I'm sure there will still be loads of bad players, just less of them, and probabaly a new more multi-tabling nits. Take notes on people, learn who is who and how you can exploit different people. You don't have to fear the multi tabling nits, just adjust to beat them.
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks very much, i'll keep that in mind :)

Is multi-tabling at nl10 harder than multi-tabling at nl4? I guess it is since obviously there will be more notes to take etc so more concentration and focus will be required?

I'll have a go tonight, maybe just 1 or 2 tables instead of my normal 4 at a time just to see how i get on lol.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Thinking of moving up to nl10, need advice.:
    Thanks very much, i'll keep that in mind :) Is multi-tabling at nl10 harder than multi-tabling at nl4? I guess it is since obviously there will be more notes to take etc so more concentration and focus will be required? I'll have a go tonight, maybe just 1 or 2 tables instead of my normal 4 at a time just to see how i get on lol.
    Posted by skeg_poker
    gl with this m8
  • edited March 2013
    Multi tabling isn't any harder as such but you need to allow yourself some time to get to know the players. Shouldn't take you long to see the 5-10 players who are on virtually every table every night @ 10NL.

It's definitely a good idea imo to start out with just a couple of tables, get some notes down, get comfortable with the level etc. I'm sure if you're doing ok at 4NL, then you'll be fine at 10NL too but sometimes it's more of a mental thing when moving up levels. You assume everyone is gonna be so much better, making fancy plays, blah blah when it's generally not the case.
  • edited March 2013
    give your self x amount to "lose" at nl10. im not saying things wont go right for you buts its best to start with a figure you are prepapred to test the waters with. i would allocated £40 or 4 bins for this personally. if it went badly and i lost this amount i would be stepping back down to rebuild but if you hit the ground running then great.

if you are tentative about stepping up then when you finish a nl4 session, if you have the time, open a couple of nl10 tables and just watch for 30 mins or so and see how they play and if any differences appear clearly. if you are playing 5 nl4 tables just now might be better to drop a couple when taking your first step just to get you focused with the different amount involved.

you could also mix the tables, say 4 4nl and 1 10nl to start. everybodies got different methods but those are just some. just experiment yourself and you will find the plan that best suits you.

good luck
  • edited March 2013
    Yeah thats what i did in my latest session, i played 2 nl10 tables and 2 nl4 tables. Lost about £9 overall on the nl10 tables, but i made a £7 profit on the nl4 tables so didn't lose much overall. Have to admit i was a bit nervous since it was a little bit more money than i'm used to, the average pot was over £1.50 or so lol.

But i will probably get used to it, i think i will stick to nl4 for now, i might decide to do 3 nl4 tables and 1 nl10 table instead of my normal 4 nl4 tables, i'll see if that works :)
  • edited March 2013

Good idea, playing the different limits.

There wont be a great deal of difference between the 2, maybe not as many easy spots at NL10, but if you are being successful at nl4, i'm sure you will do just as well at NL10, just mix it up a bit at the slightly higher level.

If you play ABC poker at NL4 this will work well at NL10, i think i played you a couple of times, just keep doing what you are doing.

Good luck!

• edited March 2013
    what site do u play on?

When u post HH's it doesn't look like you're playing here. 

If you're playing 2c/4c on another site, move to 2p/4p here, it's a step up in terms of £££ but it will be easier to win, and u can get to 5c/10c and/or 5p/10p alot quicker. 
  • edited March 2013
    I play on titan poker, can't play on here since it keeps disconnecting and freezing my laptop etc lol. Well i can play every now and again but it always ends up with my laptop crashing :(

Titan poker is in pence as well as cents so i've got the choice between the 2, i stick with pence though lol.
  • edited March 2013
    hi Ryan,
    i'm going through pretty much the same thing as you atm just moved up /in the process of moving up from nl4 to nl10 here at sky.
    the biggest difference is this...if you lose at nl10 it will hurt.especially if your b/roll is small.
    you will have losing nights,no matter how good you are.
    i would only play 1 table to start with,and see how you go,then if  all is ok add a second.
    i would also load up as many tables as you can and watch players for a number of sessions,before you play.
    make notes.see who the reg's are and how many tables they are playing.
    when you finally play...try to avoid them to start with anyway.
    table selection.doesn't seem important..but it is.
    i look for players sitting with 1/2 stacks.why? it tells me they are probably not serious grinders and more likely to be casual players,if you like.
    there isn't any point trying to slug it out against 4 or 5 descent regulars...trust me,i've done it.
    you need to be very critical of your own play.if you have just lost..why?
    also,be very careful of going all-in.every time you do...and lose,it's £10 not £4 you've just lost.

if it sounds like i'm trying to talk you out of it or put you off,i'm not.
    i'm just giving some advice...take it or leave it.
    yes,by moving up you stand to gain more but you also stand to lose alot more.
    all i'm really saying is...be careful,that's all.
    oh...of course it just leaves me to say..

GOOD LUCK!!!

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    It all depends how willing you are to reload if you lose your buyins if your willing to reload then yea go for it if not give yourself 10 buyins at 10nl cant see 10nl being much different in terms of standard than 4nl.
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks for the advice everyone, i think i will just play both 10nl and 4nl at the same time, three 4nl tables and 1 10nl table to start off with and then I will start replacing the 4nl tables with 10nl once i get more confident lol.
  • edited March 2013
    although i do like your dabble at nl10 idea while grinding nl4,i am more worried about your 2 weeks of online play statistic.  this suggests you haven't lived through a big downswing yet. i would suggest sticking to nl4 for another couple of weeks to get more of a feel of online variance, and if you are still going strong then for sure move up.