You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

BB KK limper and min raise bubble

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Yeaaah all he can have when he opens from 40 bb is aa-qq loooool Jesus Christ do you not have a brain JUST THINK. Honesty is the best policy. Sorry pal don't mean to be rude I'd buzz if style n co commented on me saying I'm shiiit

Comments

• edited March 2013
    i hold a premium pair and am in the bigblind when i see a min raise i think to myself he is holding either AJ-AK or QQ-AA and with me beind a BB if i shove he will still call also that limping with him just limping is he plotting to call a shove with AA himself?
    so am i best to just call at this point and if the flop is QH then maybe shove or will a shove be ok.
    d23b Small blind  400.00 400.00 3937.50
    craigcu12 Big blind  800.00 1200.00 15910.00
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

CHRIS770 Call  800.00 2000.00 55650.00
    pac129 Fold     
    stuart43 Raise  1600.00 3600.00 28680.00
    button09 Fold     
    d23b Fold
  • edited March 2013
    We have 10 bigs, it's an easy shove with 10BB, if he has aces we are just unlucky.
  • edited March 2013
    I like it. I hipe you shove alot more now having showed 
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: BB KK limper and min raise bubble:
    Yeaaah all he can have when he opens from 40 bb is aa-qq loooool Jesus Christ do you not have a brain JUST THINK. Honesty is the best policy. Sorry pal don't mean to be rude I'd buzz if style n co commented on me saying I'm shiiit
    Posted by sam64
    can't you read the question relates to the fact this is on the bubble  i remember seeing a post by someone else who lost when he shoved with a premium pair preflop on the bubble which he went on to loose when he was called by AA so did not get anything i have lost a few sats too when at the time i was chip leader i shoved my premium pairs but lost to an Ax and then failed to get through to the tournament.
  • edited March 2013
    lol Sats is a bit different craig, all we are doing it trying to finish in the top amount.

If you are sittin in a sat chip leader, you dont want to get involved on the bubble if you have a good stack; unless its against a short stack that is not going to crip ple you.

In a tournie we want to get to the final table, and give ourself the best chance of winning. The money for just scraping past the bubble is poor, the real money lies in getting a really deep run taking us to the final table.

We have the second best starting hand in poker, no way can we do anything else here but shove. If we get unlucky we get unlucky, but most times we are winning here.
  • edited March 2013
    Firstly, you need to reconsider how you think in this type of situation: You have KK - the second best starting hand in hold 'em. You should not be worrying about the possibility that the only better hand might be out there, you should be assuming that you have the best hand and questioning how to get the maximum value from it. Occasionally one of your opponents will turn up with AA but that will happen far less frequently than they show up with weaker hands.

In this case all you have seen from your opponents is a limp and a small raise. This is nowhere near enough to get even close to narrowing their ranges down to premium hands only, let alone narrowing them down to one specific hand. Assume your KK is way ahead. Treat KK as the pre-flop nuts.

There is 23% of your stack in the pot already. You want to get paid for your full stack but any intricate 3-bet will actually look much stronger than a 3-bet shove. If you shove here you could be perceived to be doing so with quite a wide range possibly including any pocket pair, AT+ KQ, etc. With those hands we'd be shoving to pick up that huge amount of dead money already in the pot. This means that by shoving we can potentially be called by a wide range of hands. If we 3-bet smaller then we may alert our opponents to our strength and, even if we don't do that, it's much harder for someone to 4-bet all-in with AJ or 99 and no fold equity than it is for them to call a 3-bet shove from a perceived wide range. We don't want to give them the chance to get away from a hand they would otherwise pay us with.

The idea of flatting to shove a Queen-high flop is fundamentally flawed. Think about what happens if one of our opponents holds AK: He would call our pre-flop 3-bet and pay us off as a 30% underdog. If we flat pre-flop, once he's missed the flop he will fold a hand that is now much worse than a 30% dog. We absolutely do not want him to fold. The same thing is true if he holds TT: The flop comes Queen-high, we shove and he folds a hand that would have paid off a pre-flop 3-bet. On the other hand, if he's holding AA we still pay him off anyway. Waiting to see the flop has saved us not one penny.

What if the flop comes Ace-high? Do we now check-fold? What if he's holding QQ? We've just paid him the value of his pre-flop raise and then check-folded a hand that was absolutely crushing him.

The only justification for flat-calling the pre-flop raise is that we think he will fold to a pre-flop 3-bet a large proportion of the time but will almost always c-bet the flop if we call pre and then check the flop to him. Again, this is a plan based around us having the best hand and designed to get us paid more for it. Generally shoving pre-flop will be much better in this situation with these stacks.