You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

30NL - 3 Barrel Bluff

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Just looking for thoughts on whether this is a good spot to 3 barrel really.

Like in my experience, people don't generally limp/call UTG with raggy Ax hands or any Ax hand (obv some people will l/c anything), so this is what gave me the confidence to barrel off.

Do you think the way it's played it's a profitable 3rd barrel.

FWIW, villian is a serial limp/caller, occasionally gets fruity postflop and raises with complete air, but other times will just call, call, fold. Very loose, mostly passive.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
craigy60 Small blind   £0.15 £0.15 £31.81
lecksville Big blind   £0.30 £0.45 £29.70
  Your hole cards
  • J

X Call   £0.30 £0.75 £36.72
LEE001 Fold        
Lambert180 Raise   £1.20 £1.95 £33.88
bigrick91 Fold        
craigy60 Call   £1.05 £3.00 £30.76
lecksville Fold        
X Call   £0.90 £3.90 £35.82
Flop

• A

craigy60 Check        
X Check        
Lambert180 Bet   £2.40 £6.30 £31.48
craigy60 Fold        
X Call   £2.40 £8.70 £33.42
Turn

• A

X Check        
Lambert180 Bet   £4.10 £12.80 £27.38
X Call   £4.10 £16.90 £29.32
River

X Check        
Lambert180 Bet   £9.50 £26.40 £17.88
X Fold        
Lambert180 Muck        
Lambert180 Win   £16.05   £33.93
Lambert180 Return   £9.50 £0.85 £43.43

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Personally I probably wouldnt bet the flop, there are 2 other players in the pot. If anyone calls you cant hope to hit anything so have to bluff it or give up.

When the A comes on the turn that will only strengthen his hand, so again I would give up.

The 8 isnt exactly scary either...but there is an argument to either 1 barrel or 3 barel and never 2 barrel so I would probably bet this.

Well played on this occassion but it seems a bit uneccicairy, what when he calls you with A2, seems a bit pointless all that hassle.

Be very interested to see what he had...
  • edited March 2013
    Siiiiigh. Just wrote a big reply to this and it timed me out!! So I'll summarise...

When I isolate the limper (or attempt to), I'm repping big hands, A-high boards smash that range and I'm gonna be c-betting ALOT of them. I'd c-bet here 100% with AK so it would become pretty easy to read if I c-bet when I hit an A and c/f when I don't. Also I don't necessarily have to just give up, people can call me on this dry a flop with 77+, maybe even 44 and 55 easily but might be reluctant to call a 2nd barrel depending on the turn card.

I don't expect him to ever have Ax, cos imo it isn't in most people's limp/call UTG range and I think he folds everything that isn't Ax with the exception of sets (that became houses). I know he will snap me off with any Ax and if he does so be it, but I don't think it's pointless or unnecessary, I'm not gonna be just a drone who waits for the nuts and bets. If I get snapped off, then people on the table see I will 3b barrel with air and it will almost certainly pay off later, and I get notes on villian.

I'd imagine he has a PP, something like 77 probably. It's also possible he could have like 45 and just played the draw passively then c/f a missed river.

Bet you I've missed something now I've had to retype it.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: 30NL - 3 Barrel Bluff:
    Personally I probably wouldnt bet the flop, there are 2 other players in the pot. If anyone calls you cant hope to hit anything so have to bluff it or give up. When the A comes on the turn that will only strengthen his hand, so again I would give up. The 8 isnt exactly scary either...but there is an argument to either 1 barrel or 3 barel and never 2 barrel so I would probably bet this. Well played on this occassion but it seems a bit uneccicairy, what when he calls you with A2, seems a bit pointless all that hassle. Be very interested to see what he had...
    Posted by sighcall
    +1

It's Pbrains favourite line innit, "the raise is +ev pre but re-assess on the flop and don't dig a hole"

He makes it sound more impressive than that tho.

They're both full of Ax hands and it's going to take 3 bets to get them off it. Even then they prob don't fold.

Wouldn't mind it if we had some equity. I just give up otf or bet once and shut down.
  • edited March 2013
    I think you need to explain your thoughts on these bet sizes. If you've turned top-trips or better are you really betting less than half-pot? If you'd been called on flop and turn, holding one of those hands, are you really betting less than two thirds-pot on the river?

I think the flop is a very good one to c-bet. You can't be called by draws because there aren't any (aside from 45) and the chances of your opponents having a two-pair hand or some random 3 or 6 are very slim. When we're called we should think it's likely to only be by an Ace. You might think that underpairs are going to call here but I think they're more likely to just fold. They've limp-called or called OOP to go 3-way to a flop, an Ace has hit and someone's betting. Sometimes you will be called by lower pocket pairs, most of the time it's just an Ace.

The turn is not a good card to bet because it's obviously not changed anything. I think I'd just give up at this point unless I had good reason to think that either my opponent would i) station the flop with KQ, or some random pair or ii) could fold a rag Ace if I bet three streets. Even then, hoping someone who's limp-called pre-flop with a raggy ace then folds trips is... extremely optimistic. lol

Having bet the turn I think we should probably bet the river when it's checked to us, mainly because our rationale for betting the turn has to have been as I've suggested above and we're committed to that plan. We have to think that our opponent is weak enough to fold after calling the turn but isn't so bad that they're just going to station us. (I say this beause I like consistent plans, not because I think the plan here is a good one)

I don't like the bluff because the turn and river don't really change anything and our opponent shouldn't be in the hand after the flop betting without an Ace. Against some opponents this works because they don't maintain a coherent plan for the hand and just see you betting three streets - They are blown off by pure aggression. Decent players calling flop and turn won't fold the river, though, especially for this amount unless they have some weird missed draw.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: 30NL - 3 Barrel Bluff : +1 It's Pbrains favourite line innit, "the raise is +ev pre but re-assess on the flop and don't dig a hole" He makes it sound more impressive than that tho. They're both full of Ax hands and it's going to take 3 bets to get them off it. Even then they prob don't fold. Wouldn't mind it if we had some equity. I just give up otf or bet once and shut down.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I don't agree that they're "full" of Ax hands, though there will be some in their ranges. I think there are also alot of unpaired high card hands, underpairs, suited connector type hands. Certainly a reasonably small c-bet on a super-dry flop like this should be profitable.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: 30NL - 3 Barrel Bluff : I don't agree that they're "full" of Ax hands, though there will be some in their ranges. I think there are also alot of unpaired high card hands, underpairs, suited connector type hands. Certainly a reasonably small c-bet on a super-dry flop like this should be profitable.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I meant pretty much every single Ax combo barring AQ/AK/AA is in both of their ranges.

Dunno about the bolded bit, maybe. I'm just not v optimistic about getting this through with 1 bet.

If they're folding they're folding though, I guess the 1 thing I can add that I'm kinda sure of is that the cbet is too big. 1/2 pot on these boards is enough and it makes BL's bolded bit more likely to be true as it doesn't need to work as often etc.

HU Id obv agree it's a 'slam dunk cbet' (wiii) fwiw. 
  • edited March 2013
    Siiiiigh. Just wrote a big reply to this and it timed me out!! So I'll summarise... When I isolate the limper (or attempt to), I'm repping big hands, A-high boards smash that range and I'm gonna be c-betting ALOT of them. I'd c-bet here 100% with AK so it would become pretty easy to read if I c-bet when I hit an A and c/f when I don't. Also I don't necessarily have to just give up, people can call me on this dry a flop with 77+, maybe even 44 and 55 easily but might be reluctant to call a 2nd barrel depending on the turn card. I don't expect him to ever have Ax, cos imo it isn't in most people's limp/call UTG range and I think he folds everything that isn't Ax with the exception of sets (that became houses). I know he will snap me off with any Ax and if he does so be it, but I don't think it's pointless or unnecessary, I'm not gonna be just a drone who waits for the nuts and bets. If I get snapped off, then people on the table see I will 3b barrel with air and it will almost certainly pay off later, and I get notes on villian. I'd imagine he has a PP, something like 77 probably. It's also possible he could have like 45 and just played the draw passively then c/f a missed river. Bet you I've missed something now I've had to retype it.
    Posted by Lambert180
    1. The ace on the turn strengthens his 77+ hand, so if he calls the flop hes calling the turn. This means its a bad bet, unless you plan to take him off on a river card, which you do. However I feel 77+ will call this river card 100% of the time.

2. You say dependant on the turn card, surely this is the worst possible turn card? I cant think of a hand he holds that it doesnt strengthen.

3. This is personal opinion, i disagree, i think he will limp/call with any Ax hand. A lot of people will see an ace and want to play it. Nu i mainly play NL10/20 so might be different at NL30? Just a matter of opinion i guess. And you were sat at the table with him so you will know more about the player.

Like DOHHH said, i think most times you are digging an unecicairy hole for yourself. But mabye its a weak player you can push off most times.
  • edited March 2013
    Ac turn I prefer bet. hitting trips is alot less likely than Ax on Axx