You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Late position battles with tight regs OOP.

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic

Always seem to find myself getting it in too wide against certain players, but the problems stem from my aggressive 3betting range, and understanding the 3b/4b/5b gii dynamic.

Started going wrong when I learnt on here that 3b/folding some hands is just a bad idea, and that if I'm planning on 3b folding then I shouldn't 3b them at all.

Below is a good example of what I mean.

The player is a decent semi reg. He will be opening the button alot especially with an unknown/weaker player in the blinds.

He knows I'm very aggressive, and will know that he's trying to get into pots w/ the fish as much as poss.

He also knows that I know that he knows this ;)

I just don't think he's ever getting it in with worse than AQ.

He will probably 4b/gii with JJ+ AK and mayyyyyyyybe AQs.

But I'm out of position v him, he plays very solid post flop, do I really want to flat AQ and proceed to c/f loads of flops, or c/c down when I make a pair and sometimes still not be good and/or get very little value anyway?

Flatting sounds horrible (I guess it could bring the bb in, but assume bb is also a reg, now what?)

3b/folding sounds horrible.

3b/5b get it in sounds horrible.

Folding sounds horrible.

Any thoughts on how to play this kinda situation?

What's the best line to take?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DOHHHHHHH Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £34.94
BigBlind Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £26.99
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q

looter Fold     
AJ_Rockets Fold     
xxxRaise  £0.90 £1.35 £60.26
DOHHHHHHH Raise  £3.00 £4.35 £31.94
BigBlindFold     
xxxRaise  £6.75 £11.10 £53.51
DOHHHHHHH

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Why does flatting the open sound horrible? Which other hands might you flat here with?

The key question is what do we want to happen when we 3-bet?
    If he's calling with weaker hands and will fold to further aggression down the streets, then that's a good reason to 3-bet.
    If he will call us down light post flop, that's a good reason to 3-bet.
    If he's going to call and put us in tricky situations post-flop, that's a good reason to not 3-bet and bloat the pot pre-flop.
    If he's going to 4-bet alot but not get it in lighter than AQ, that's a good reason to not 3-bet.

I don't think there's anything wrong with flatting here. Playing out of position is a pain in the backside, especially against good players. If he doesn't pay us off with worse often enough when we 3-bet, then we shouldn't 3-bet. He's not folding better hands than AQ, after all.
  • edited March 2013
    how wide does he open button

what does he 4bet

of that what does he stack, JJ/AK+?

now decide between 3bet fold, 3bet 5bet, 3bet peel re-evaluate. or just call pre and play poker vs all his <Q Ax