You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker commentators, their effect upon/responsibility to (?) the online poker industry, specifically

edited March 2013 in Poker Chat

Been a while since I started a new thread in here, but watching some poker coverage today it got me wondering about how what we hear on TV when watching poker effects our games when we play online. 

fwiw, this has nothing to do w/ 865 people, who target a niche market of poker beginners etc.

Thinking more about shows that are broadcast all over the World. 

These shows r obv important, without them, many of us wouldn't even play poker.

What kind of responsibility do the people commentating on these games have to their audience? If any?

Some of the analysis is really really bad, even at my own level of being a mediocre small volume winner, at low stakes, I can recognise multiple flaws in almost every sentence on some shows

The game I was watching today was the PP big game, where Jesse May and Mile Sexton were on the mic, but there have been others. 

There was so much results orientated commentry and basically bad advice being given by both, particuarly Mike, which surely cannot be good for new players. 

It got to the point, where the analysis was so bad, that I considered that these guys might be intentionally giving out total level 1 feedback on the action, because no way can people be in the indursty for 30+ years, absolute legends, and still get it so wrong. 

Are they being paid by poker sites to cover the game in this way? (serious question, who pays their wages?)

Maybe if they get into deep technical analysis, which tbf 'the big game' probably deserves, it might alienate the audience and put them off signing up to an online site?

Are they intentionally holding back w/ their analysis? 

My fave poker show is the 'other' big game, with the loose cannons. 

Stapes is vvvv good on this, but since watching him go in depth on 865 it's obv that even he is holding back and could go so much deeper into hands on the big game if he had to (was alllowed to?)

Then you listen to Phil Hellmuth commentate, and if you didn't know who he was or what he'd achieved, you would literally laugh ur nackers off @ some of the stuff he says. 

Then he goes and wins 2,387 more bracelets. 

Is it an act?

Is he employed to speak like this, to somehow con (right word?) people into playing poker, and becoming net depositors, just to keep the online poker industy going?

If so, is that even a bad thing neccesserily?

Could prob write 10,000 words on this, will leave it there tho.

Any1 any thoughts?

Fair to say Mike Sexton tilted me today! lol. 

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Great post/point/discussion point.

Although you've covered most things in your OP tbh so don't really have much else to say.

People will always use the excuse that 'the game has changed so much' to talk abuot the older players, but there's still no way that people like Phil Hellmuth who still play in today's game could genuinely believe some of the stuff that gets said.

They probably wanna keep it at a REALLY basic level where new comers can understand and I was gonna say it's accessable to all, although it isn't really cos a lot of decent players can't bare to watch it. Having said that, recreational players and bad ones VASTLY outnumber good ones, so they are appealing to the larger market.

My brother plays a very small amount of poker, just for fun, but if I said to him something as simple as 'what do you think his range is?', he would have no literally idea what I'm talking about and that's a pretty basic term tbf.
  • edited March 2013
    they're all live players, they play cards not the game of poker.

RAISE AND ASK HIM THE QUESTION IMO.

oooh he reraised YOU GOT YO ANSWER
  • edited March 2013
    You should listen to some of the genting poker series commentary.  Was watching some of it this afternoon and the guy is like should have 3 bet the flop when it was only the 1st bet lol and then 1st blind level a guy raises and guy with 7s flat i think fine and commentater says would have preferred a 3 bet there with the 7s i dont like the flat at all why would we ever 3 bet 7s there in the 1st blind level is beyond me.  At 1 point the first commentater had to ask the other commentater what the difference between a set and trips was. Been watching a bit of the pp premier league aswell didnt see any of it today they had jennifer tilly in the commentary booth at 1 point!
  • edited March 2013
    Nah I don't think they're paid to give bad advice to attract more new players. 

I think most of the names you mentioned are just still on focused on how the game used to be played and haven't learnt the "new" way, I guess. That's why it's bad sometimes watching these shows because a lot of the commentators have no idea about certain lines players take. 

But I think the main job of the commentator is to almost make it interesting, not necesserily to give expert analysis. In a few examples you have given, they have guests in the show who give expert analysis on the play, so I don't think they're being told to intentionally analysise badly
  • edited March 2013
    Its entertainment. You see the same thing with football. Old pros giving inane analysis because they think people will switch off if anyone offers something more in depth.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Poker commentators, their effect upon/responsibility to (?) the online poker industry, specifically the amateur poker player.:
    Its entertainment. You see the same thing with football. Old pros giving inane analysis because they think people will switch off if anyone offers something more in depth.
    Posted by offshoot
    I understand they have to be entertaining, but it doesn't mean they cant be informative.

Football is totally different, everyone knows the game, its a thousand times more popular, and anyone can learn/play/practise however they want. For free. 

Poker is so different though, it relies on bad/losing players to make it work. 

Every single day on here someone posts something like "I put him on a flush" "I wanted to see a cheap flop" "I bet for information" etc etc. 

All heard them so many times, and have all used them before I'm sure. 

All those thought processes are copied off TV.