You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how to NOT play KK

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
i was a little distracted at the time by playing at the sharp end of a tournament when i played/messed up this one...but ctiticise away anyway...TINTIN.  lol
nCardsAmountPotBalance
bignoise10 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.30
TINTIN Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £8.93
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

florance Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £2.84
toffeecat Raise  £0.12 £0.26 £2.86
devonfish5 Raise  £0.24 £0.50 £3.65
bignoise10 Fold     
TINTIN Fold     
florance Call  £0.16 £0.66 £2.68
toffeecat Raise  £0.24 £0.90 £2.62
devonfish5 Raise  £0.48 £1.38 £3.17
florance Call  £0.48 £1.86 £2.20
toffeecat Call  £0.36 £2.22 £2.26
Flop

• A
  • Q

florance Check     
toffeecat Bet  £1.11 £3.33 £1.15
devonfish5 Fold     
florance Fold     
toffeecat Muck     
toffeecat Win  £2.05  £3.20
toffeecat Return  £1.11 £0.17 £4.31

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Raise much bigger pre. I probably go to about 40p, if someone re-raises you then just get it all in.

As played you probably have no choice but to fold.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: how to NOT play KK:
    Raise much bigger pre. I probably go to about 40p, if someone re-raises you then just get it all in. As played you probably have no choice but to fold.
    Posted by Lambert180
    thanks Paul
    yeah i'm guessing he had AK at worse,so not the end of the world folding i think.
    yeah,prob should have just got in all-in pre.
    but i think he would have prob still called so i'd of lost the lot...maybe.
    :)
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    "but i think he would have prob still called so i'd of lost the lot...maybe"

Don't be worrying about that dev if he has AK and calls and wins we are still loving it as its profitable long term, obviously we curse and get annoyed as the hand plays out but not being results orientated its good for us.  FWIW i reckon most players just jam AK pre but he prob had a raggy ace or something.

I raise much bigger pre as Lambert said and then probably donk off my stack anyway convicing myself i will get there with the runner runner lol
  • edited March 2013

i'll post up more in the morning but its about your bet sizing pre, lambert has covered my quick answer. i just think this is a hand you could learn from about sizing pre.

• edited March 2013
    i've lost a few times with KK this last few sessions,so not my most fav hand atm.
    as i said i wasn't really givin it my full attention so i know i messed up.
    i'll try harder nxt time. lol
    ty for all the comments though.
    night
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    i've lost a few times with KK this last few sessions,so not my most fav hand atm. as i said i wasn't really givin it my full attention so i know i messed up. i'll try harder nxt time. lol ty for all the comments though. :) night dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    You've never been a big fan of KK have u Dev ;)

fwiw I've seen it played alot worse, at least you raised and folded @ the right times ! 
  • edited March 2013

Hey Dev,

Nice fold!

Preflop at 2p 4p with a monster we want to bolster the aggression right up.

To the original 3 bet, i would 4 bet to about 50-55p (if not a bit more), i would say atleast one of these players is calling.

By min raising (twice) we are encouraging the other 2 to come along for the ride. I find when there is raises-rearises at this level players will like to run with their cards and are very reluctant to fold pre.

On the flop excluding an ace dropping, i would bet out big to try and get the stacks in. If the flop comes J/ Q high and they are sitting with top pair/ reasonable kicker they are calling all day long.

• edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: how to NOT play KK : You've never been a big fan of KK have u Dev ;) fwiw I've seen it played alot worse, at least you raised and folded @ the right times ! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol
    we're not going there again.  lol
    yeah,same old same old,i guess.
    i'm not throwing in £3.50 or whatever i've got,just to see an ace...again.  lols
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    Hey Dev, Nice fold! Preflop at 2p 4p with a monster we want to bolster the aggression right up. To the original 3 bet, i would 4 bet to about 50-55p (if not a bit more), i would say atleast one of these players is calling. By min raising (twice) we are encouraging the other 2 to come along for the ride. I find when there is raises-rearises at this level players will like to run with their cards and are very reluctant to fold pre. On the flop excluding an ace dropping, i would bet out big to try and get the stacks in. If the flop comes J/ Q high and they are sitting with top pair/ reasonable kicker they are calling all day long.
    Posted by LARSON7
    thankss mate
    yeah,i would have bet flop for sure if ace hadn't come,but as played i'm long gone as they say in the 'real husstle' lol
    (* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    i thought this would be an interesting hand which ties in with you saying in your thread about having problems with your bet sizing at times. i couldnt comment while seated at the table for obvious reasons thats why i suggested you post it in your thread

at the time i was a little shocked to see you 6 bet pre flop and for the total bet to be only 18 big blinds or 72p. i was screaming to myself for you to shove the opponents 5 bet because i had a fair idea what you were holding and i didnt think the opponent had you beat pre (think that judgement was justified when he flatted the 6 bet).

i really thought you could get all your stack in pre, and be a big favourite in the hand. wether you planned on that or not i dont know but it would have been the route i would have took. i think your 4 bet after 2 min raises should have been bigger. going to 40p+ would have been ideal just so you werent giving good odds to junky type hands that do this min raising stuff to call and see the flop. it would have also ment any other bets in the hand pre would have been bigger as a result making it easier to get your stack in.

dont be putting yourself down with the thread title, its just a couple of minor things i think you could have done differently. ive seen them played a lot worse by many.

i think you made a good fold on the flop fwiw, with 2 opponents still in the hand the ace has a very good chance that it paired one of them.

just remember when playing that your trying to get as much value as you can from these types of hands and sometimes you got to take the bull by the horns and lead the opponents into making costly mistakes, make them pay. playing the way you did probably saved you money this time but could cost you moeny in the long term.

you are getting there with the transition to cash, this wasnt ment to mock you or anything like that, just noting some observations from sitting at the table with you. hope all is well and good luck
  • edited March 2013
    raise it big, then even bigger when it comes back round to you. 

35p then £1 not 24 and 48p
  • edited March 2013
    i thought this would be an interesting hand which ties in with you saying in your thread about having problems with your bet sizing at times. i couldnt comment while seated at the table for obvious reasons thats why i suggested you post it in your thread at the time i was a little shocked to see you 6 bet pre flop and for the total bet to be only 18 big blinds or 72p. i was screaming to myself for you to shove the opponents 5 bet because i had a fair idea what you were holding and i didnt think the opponent had you beat pre (think that judgement was justified when he flatted the 6 bet). i really thought you could get all your stack in pre, and be a big favourite in the hand. wether you planned on that or not i dont know but it would have been the route i would have took. i think your 4 bet after 2 min raises should have been bigger. going to 40p+ would have been ideal just so you werent giving good odds to junky type hands that do this min raising stuff to call and see the flop. it would have also ment any other bets in the hand pre would have been bigger as a result making it easier to get your stack in. dont be putting yourself down with the thread title, its just a couple of minor things i think you could have done differently. ive seen them played a lot worse by many. i think you made a good fold on the flop fwiw, with 2 opponents still in the hand the ace has a very good chance that it paired one of them. just remember when playing that your trying to get as much value as you can from these types of hands and sometimes you got to take the bull by the horns and lead the opponents into making costly mistakes, make them pay. playing the way you did probably saved you money this time but could cost you moeny in the long term. you are getting there with the transition to cash, this wasnt ment to mock you or anything like that, just noting some observations from sitting at the table with you. hope all is well and good luck
    Posted by TINTIN
    ty tt
    yeah as i think i said att,i was playing final stages of tournie,and my concentration wasn't as it could be.

thats how i'd of played a dym hand i guess and as i was on auto pilot my old habits if u like kicked in  lol
    i have been playing alot more aggro in general though.
    thanks for the advice m8
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    raise it big, then even bigger when it comes back round to you.  35p then £1 not 24 and 48p
    Posted by beaneh
    thanks beaneh
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    yar... pre more obv and and nice fold for 4nl. 

3bet+ pots are where we make our monies in cash. both as aggressor and victim. learn to love them and do the numbers and get reads