You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT Challenge

2»

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Aye definatly, i played shocking mate the whole way through, most decisions I made were wrong.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: MTT Challenge:
    Aye definatly, i played shocking mate the whole way through, most decisions I made were wrong.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Apart from 2 desisions i think youve played well in the hands youve posted. Mtts are a crewl game sometimes. Dont break youself down. 
  • edited March 2013

Cumulative Total (GBP)
    -360-320-280-240-200-160-120-80-40040
    Most Recent TournamentsOldest (1 Search)Biggest Wins (1 Search)Biggest Losses (1 Search)

ID

Game

Structure

Flags

Rake

Currency

Network

Date

Type

Stake

Position

Profit

7736503HNLSAT0.1GBPSkyPoker24/03/2013 12:20NL Hold'em £1.1 + £0.130/42
    -£1.2
    7734695HNLT,HU0.05GBPSkyPoker23/03/2013 15:12NL Hold'em £0.5 + £0.051/2
    £0.45
    7730872HNLB0.3GBPSkyPoker23/03/2013 13:05NL Hold'em £2 + £0.3301/356
    -£2.3
    7717734HNL 0.2GBPSkyPoker20/03/2013 12:00NL Hold'em £2 + £0.212/53
    -£2.2
    7717723HNLB0.15GBPSkyPoker20/03/2013 11:45NL Hold'em £1 + £0.1598/152
    -£0.77
    7712375HNL 0.2GBPSkyPoker19/03/2013 12:15NL Hold'em £2 + £0.274/87
    -£2.2
    7705045HNLB0.3GBPSkyPoker17/03/2013 13:05NL Hold'em £2 + £0.324/313
    £4.53
    7706892HNLT,HU0.05GBPSkyPoker17/03/2013 10:52NL Hold'em £0.5 + £0.052/2
    -£0.55
    Select Opponents (Subscriber Only)Most Frequent Opponents (1 Search)Opponents Most Profitable Against (1 Search)Opponents Least Profitable Against (1 Search)
    The profit shown against each player is the sum of the profit taken from that player in each tournament and excludes rake. For example, if a profit of $80 was won in a 9 player tournament, then a profit of $10 was made from each other player in that tournament.

Player

Network

Currency

Count

Profit

• Last Game Date: 24/03/2013 12:20
    • Total Losing Days: 243
    • Max Cashing Streak: 8
    • Max Losing Streak: 11
    • Max Winning Streak: 8
    • Most Games / Day: 15
    • PokerStars Tournament Leaderboard Points: 2,605
    • Av % Field Beaten:
      49.9%
    • Total Rake:
      £207
    • Total Stake: £1,629
    • Total ROI:
      -17.1%
    • Turbo Ratio:
      12.4%
    • Total Winning Days: 120
    • Worst 100 Streak Av Profit:
      -£0.89
    • Worst 500 Streak Av Profit:
      -£0.49
    • Count: 1,133
    • Av Profit:
      -£0.28
    • Av Stake: £1.44
    • Av ROI:
      -19.8%
    • Profit:
      -£318
    • Ability: 54
    • Active Days: 376
    • Av Entrants: 79.1
    • Av Games / Day (when playing): 3
    • Best 100 Streak Av Profit:
      £1.07
    • Best 500 Streak Av Profit:
      £0.09
    • Total Break Even Days: 13
    • Total Cashes:
      £1,517
    • First Game Date: 23/01/2011 03:18
    • ITM%:
      38.8%
  • edited March 2013
    55p game what was that? 

38.8% ITM is a very good record. It looks like your hobbling into a min cash too often tho. 

Will quickly post up mine - +600ish for you to compare. 

• Count: 2,638
    • Av Profit
      £0.23
    • Av Stake: £3.17
    • Av ROI
      10.9%
    • Profit
      £619
    • Ability: 67
    • Active Days: 468
    • Av Entrants: 58.7
    • Av Games / Day (when playing): 5.6
    • Best 100 Streak Av Profit
      £3.67
    • Best 500 Streak Av Profit
      £1.44
    • Total Break Even Days: 30
    • Total Cashes
      £9,879
    • First Game Date: 27/09/2009 03:47
    • ITM%
      42.6%

Edit: missing stats

• Last Game Date: 19/03/2013 14:40
    • Total Losing Days: 266
    • Max Cashing Streak: 10
    • Max Losing Streak: 14
    • Max Winning Streak: 7
    • Most Games / Day: 29
    • PokerStars Tournament Leaderboard Points: 10,649
    • Av % Field Beaten
      58.4%
    • Total Rake
      £886
    • Total Stake: £8,374
    • Total ROI
      6.4%
    • Turbo Ratio
      13.9%
    • Total Winning Days: 172
    • Worst 100 Streak Av Profit
      -£2.06
    • Worst 500 Streak Av Profit
      -£0.78

I had a horrid year last year so effects these stats. But as you can see, your stats are actually rather similar. Maybe just need to increase the volume. Obviously id imagine someone like tommyd or mattbates to dwarf what ive posted, but you stats there defo suggest you can beat the low stakes. 
  • edited March 2013
    Whooops lol was tryin to paste my graph from Sharkscope.

I started playing when you could play Sky through SkyTV, i hardly even knew what the hands were.

I started understanding/ learning a bit more about poker at the back end of last year. A lot of the stuff on sharkscope is from the early days when i was still learning, sky's the only site i play on. I had a run where I won an MTT, came 2nd and final tabled another 1 all close in a row, these were b/hunters.

But in the last couple of months I have done  nothing in MTT's, i do alrite in cash, but was wondering why recently i've been doing rubbish in MTTs. Looking at it, it's how i'm playing them, which is something imgoing to need to work on.

Included in sharkscope is a couple of entries into the main events, i've played 2 of these. Sharkscope prob has that down as being a buyin for these events, when i got in for only a couple of quid.

I know the graph looks bad, but to be honest i'm not that disapointed with it due to the time I've been playing "decent" poker then im prob not that far behind.

Thats why i fired up this thread.

So far it's not been the best of starts, played 3 tournies and done absolutely nothing.

It might be an idea for me to get stuck into satelites, the standard in the mini was way higher than the type of Bountyhunters i normally play in.
  • edited March 2013
    It was a 50p heads up game lol
  • edited March 2013
    Didnt play any tournies today, next chance i'll get will prob be wed night.

Just wondering, any advice on playing MTT's,

I'm going to try and start playing tigher early doors expanding my range later on. I seem when i get a deep run in tournies and get in the money to fizzle out pretty fast. Probably from not playing aggressive enough in the run up to the bubble.

I am going to try and get more value, but it's a hard call between what will get paid off and what wont.

I've also learned to shove or fold the later stages, instead of limping in/ raising to not hit the flop.

Any advice ?
  • edited March 2013
    Donald, I'm not having a go, your MTT record is very good (much better than mine) but you've said he might be hobbling into a mincash too much with an ITM of 38% (which I completely agree with) but yours is 42%

Larson, you want a big ROI (obv) and a smaller ITM, maybe like 15-20%

Here's mine FWIW, over a tiny sample cos I never play MTTs on Sky (450 over like 4-5 years)
    • Count: 425
    • Av Profit:
      £0.06
    • Av Stake: £4.02
    • Av ROI:
      41.4%
    • Profit:
      £26.86
    • Ability: 65
    • Active Days: 204
    • Av Entrants: 165
    • Av Games / Day (when playing): 2.1
    • Best 100 Streak Av Profit:
      £3.83
    • Best 500 Streak Av Profit: -
    • Total Break Even Days: 35
    • Total Cashes:
      £1,906
    • First Game Date: 23/02/2010 23:18
    • ITM%:
      22.4%
  • edited March 2013
    It's so hard to say Larson cos it massively depends on your table. Some times you have to be alot more selective, and pick your spots to play bigger pots with a narrower range because the table is very aggro, while sometimes you can pick up tons of small pots because everyone is playing too tight.

The key thing is you want to be able to bully people on the bubble, and no matter how good you are you lose a lot of your ability to do that unless you've built a big stack ready for the bubble. If you aint got a great stack around the bubble, then depending on how the table is playing you may have to be a bit more cautious around the bubble, but your real aim is to get to the bubble with a big stack, then turn it into a massive stack by ripping it up on the bubble.
  • edited March 2013
    Donald, I'm not having a go, your MTT record is very good (much better than mine) but you've said he might be hobbling into a mincash too much with an ITM of 38% (which I completely agree with) but yours is 42% Larson, you want a big ROI (obv) and a smaller ITM, maybe like 15-20% Here's mine FWIW, over a tiny sample cos I never play MTTs on Sky (450 over like 4-5 years) Count : 425 Av Profit : £0.06 Av Stake : £4.02 Av ROI : 41.4% Profit : £26.86 Ability : 65 Active Days : 204 Av Entrants : 165 Av Games / Day (when playing) : 2.1 Best 100 Streak Av Profit : £3.83 Best 500 Streak Av Profit : - Total Break Even Days : 35 Total Cashes : £1,906 First Game Date : 23/02/2010 23:18 ITM% : 22.4%
    Posted by Lambert180

Yeah a huge early weakness of mine, infact until about last year i hobbled into a min cash loads - can admit to mistakes. 

• edited March 2013
    It's so hard to say Larson cos it massively depends on your table. Some times you have to be alot more selective, and pick your spots to play bigger pots with a narrower range because the table is very aggro, while sometimes you can pick up tons of small pots because everyone is playing too tight. The key thing is you want to be able to bully people on the bubble, and no matter how good you are you lose a lot of your ability to do that unless you've built a big stack ready for the bubble. If you aint got a great stack around the bubble, then depending on how the table is playing you may have to be a bit more cautious around the bubble, but your real aim is to get to the bubble with a big stack, then turn it into a massive stack by ripping it up on the bubble.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Cheers Paul,

I'll go for that the next time I have a good stack around the bubble. i am really guilty of that playing a lot more cautious around the bubble.
  • edited March 2013
    Im going to sound like a right lemon, but what does ITM mean ??

• edited March 2013
    Im going to sound like a right lemon, but what does ITM mean ??
    Posted by goodylad21
    ITM= In the Money...

It's something ppl like you don't worry about Goody as you always go FTW! :)
  • edited March 2013

SS are actually adding a new heading......OOTB*. I am the top of all on Sky Poker ATM with 47.55%.

*Out On The Bubble
  • edited March 2013
    P.S. I remember it was ages ago that I was chatting to Greg about MTTs and he was the one that stressed the importance of building a stack ready for bubble bullying time.
  • edited March 2013
    Didnt play any tournies today, next chance i'll get will prob be wed night. Just wondering, any advice on playing MTT's, I'm going to try and start playing tigher early doors expanding my range later on. I seem when i get a deep run in tournies and get in the money to fizzle out pretty fast. Probably from not playing aggressive enough in the run up to the bubble. I am going to try and get more value, but it's a hard call between what will get paid off and what wont. I've also learned to shove or fold the later stages, instead of limping in/ raising to not hit the flop. Any advice ?
    Posted by LARSON7
    +1 to the advice already posted here, it's all about playing to win.

A high percentage of ITM finishes is far below optimal. Always remember; occasional first places bring in a much bigger profit than frequent min-cashes.

In MTTs you need to use your killer instinct. Be risk averse, you have to be prepared to make high variance plays that have the potential to set you up for victory, even on the bubble. Never allow your stack to get too short, get your chips in before it gets to that point, bubble or no bubble.

Picking up AA when you've already folded down to 5BB isn't much use, even if it holds-up 10BB still won't give you much chance of winning. You'd have been much better off flipping when you had 15BB. Because with 30BB you have so many more plays in your arsenal, you have stack that can do some real damage. Yes, the trade-off is that you'll bust-out with no return more often, but who cares if it brings in more of those precious first place finishes.

Below is the prize structure for this Sundays Primo as an example. Would you rather win it once out of 20 attempts (leaving with nothing other 19 times)? Or would you rather get yourself a 11th to 23rd place finish 10 times out of those 20?

I know the answer is obvious, yet you'll be surprised when it comes down to it how many players choose to fold their way to a guaranteed £110.50 prize rather than take a risk that offers a potential reward of £2968.03. Their nittyness is what the aggresive winning players thrive on.

Good luck.
    1st £2968.03
    2nd £1771.32
    3rd £1056.38
    4th £830.96
    5th £707.20
    6th £592.28
    7th £478.46
    8th £364.65
    9th £261.88
    10th £261.88
    11th £182.32
    12th £182.32
    13th £154.70
    14th £132.60
    15th £132.60
    16th £132.60
    17th £132.60
    18th £121.55
    19th £121.55
    20th £121.55
    21st £121.55
    22nd £110.50
    23rd £110.50
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: MTT Challenge : ITM= In the Money... It's something ppl like you don't worry about Goody as you always go FTW! :)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    I would never of guessed that in a million & ive been playing for nearly 5 years lol.

Still dont know the lingo after all this time....what a noddy !!

Thanks for teaching me something today, now for tomorrows lesson....

• edited March 2013
    Your aim to get a big stack for:

1. taking flips with your MTT life not at risk

2. To apply pressure and gather chips

3. To win the bloody thing

failing that, because you going to bust the majority - don't be worried about getting your chips in where u "feel" versus oppo range your going to stand up ok

do or die

don't be afriad

big heart = win

but.........don't be silly...the bigger your stack the bigger equity edge you won't when the chips go across the line

most importantly - your going to have to flip well to win an MTT unless you run like god - don't beat yourself up when your constantly getting knocked out :) because as above you will the majority -

good luck

• edited March 2013
    In Response to MTT Challenge:
    I was thinking after last weeks 2p-4p challenge it would be interesting to do one on MTTs. The challenge last week was quite popular with plenty of folk getting involved. This one is maybe a bit harder becasuse people will be playing at so many levels. If you look at my sharkscope graph it shows minus £300 or so, i'm looking to turn this around and get it going North. Looking at GaryQQQ's challenge, 1000 poker points into £1000, his sucesses at MTTs, and indeed the sucessess of other regular profitable MTT players has inspired me to try and significantly improve this side of my game. It was really interesting reading the commens on Thursdays shows thread with all the various different hints and tips. Over this week this thread will show my journey through various MTT tournies. It would be brilliant to get feedback and tips from regular winning MTT players. And also for anyone to post up any questions they think could help them improve their MTT game. My plan is to play 10 £2.20 Bountyhunters over the course of this week. I want to "cash" in at least four of these, and ideally final table on 2. It is a really tough ask, but i'm going to try and stay focussed to achieve this. Any help feedback would be really appreciated, and would be great to see other people joining in.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Don,t think about min cashing. I normally enter a tournament hoping to get to the FT with a decent stack and then if it hapens - take it from there and try and win it , but its better to win 1 than min cash in 10 tournies.
    Its a simple tip but aim high and always go for the win

EDIT _ Just read through some of the other posts and it sounds like i,m repeating much of what they said
  • edited March 2013
    00:15 £5.75 - 2nd place £24.75, no bounties
  • edited March 2013

Hi Larson

I think it is important to develop your own style.

There are times to play aggressively and more importantly times when not to.

Touraments have a flow, as do your cards, concentration is key it takes over three hours to win one or two bad decisions to go out.

If you keep making good decisions your results will improve.

Do not enter a tournament if you are tired or bored.

Keep simple records of your results.

wins, final tables, cash, nothing over a period of time it will tell you everything you need to know.

Good luck

Daggers

• edited March 2013

Thanks lads, some brilliant feedback.

I'm definatly going to start playing more aggressively to build a stack and take that momentum all the way. If i bust i bust, it'll be a bit of trial and errorr to start off with till i develop my own style as daggers said above.

Fundamentally, i have been playing tournies wrong, thinking get to cash then take it from there but by that point its often 2 late!

I need to totally go back to basics, and build it up.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, somethings clicked with 4 or 5 of the posts above.

• edited March 2013
    This is my exit hand from a tournie tonight,

I don't mind the shove to win what's in the middle, I run into a monster.

Just wondering, did i have to many BB's for this play? And if i was sitting with say, 10-15bb i wouldnt have minded this play at all. Ive posted this up in the poker clinic too.
    FILBAR Small blind  100.00 100.00 18147.50
    diablo_pez Big blind  200.00 300.00 5050.00
      Your hole cards

touchwood Call  200.00 500.00 6370.00
    carnel Fold     
    helstar Fold     
    LARSON7 All-in  4990.00 5490.00 0.00
    FILBAR Fold     
    diablo_pez All-in  5050.00 10540.00 0.00
    touchwood Fold     
    diablo_pez Unmatched bet  260.00 10280.00 260.00
    diablo_pez Show
    • Q
    • Q

LARSON7 Show

Flop

• K

Turn

River

diablo_pez Win Two Pairs, Queens and 3s 10280.00
  • edited March 2013
    I've given my thoughts in the clinic but it's way too big a stack to do this with.
  • edited March 2013
    Aye Cheers Mate, you are right, i'm just trying to steal what's in the middle, if i was called just hoped i was flipping. I'm just trying different things, never before have i ever shoved 22s, just done it because i was on the button, and the blinds should never have a hand!
  • edited March 2013
    yeah 25BB i think is too much to be shoving any range. If there is an open i think we're borderline 3bet shoving stack. Actually one of the more awkward stacks to play imo.