You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

sky poker hates me suddenly!!!

correction make that 3 times a10 has beat my ak. this is getting ridiculous now.

Comments

• edited March 2013
    last two days beats include:

ak vs a10 twice,  AQ vs q8, ak vs 56, ak vs q9.

i have 66 and flop comes 678 other guy has 5 9 (raised pot preflop). all in with kk late on in dym other guy has aa, 10 10 into jj, jj into qq, QQ into KK and to top it off i cant win any type of race and seem to lose all my 60 40's as well. all my blind steals running into monsters etc etc

KQ on button. 1 guy limps in i reraise to about 4 times bb from the button. he calls flop comes  K J 3 he checks i raise about 3/4 of pot. he calls. ace on turn and i check it down. what does he have A5 off. then theres being low stack with 4 ppl left in a dym and get AK and the chips go in and what do they have....AK too. that happened twice as well.
    As we speak i've just raised the pot 4 x bb with qq and bb calls. flop comes 532 and he limit bets me i reraise big and he flats. turn comes another 5. guess who just hit trips?!

I'm sure there's loads more over the last week but those are the ones i can remember from last two days. Thing about is i think im actually playing pretty well which has meant im not getting totally annihilated (sp?) and i keep telling myself i must be about to go on a very good winning run but any decent winning run is closely followed by  some of the things described above.

Anyway moan over and im sorry poker gods for whatever i've done but please stop the punishment lol
  • edited March 2013
    it continues....

2 tourneys today AK vs KQ both all in preflop - he hits queen. He wasnt short stacked just a bad call.

other tourney all in with AQ utg with a stack of 1600 blinds at 150/300. guy beside me with stack of 2500 calls with 77. i miss he hits another 7.

I know in the second one he is slight favourite but it's still a terrible call because he is at best a coin flip and possibly dominated. so at best he wins 51% of the time he needs to cash 55% of the time to break even in a dym which he would have struggled to do with an 750 stack. it just representative of me losing every coin flip.

In the same tournament another player raises from small blind against big blind chip leader. blinds 100 at the time. big blind goes all in for about 5k. other guy calls with about 2k. BB turns over AA and sb shows A10 suited. A10 hits a flush on the river. if he'd went out i would have made the money. my bad run is now affecting other people too lol
  • edited March 2013
       Hope your luck change soon jd ,i had a run like it a while back and know how you feel.
  • edited March 2013
    and on:

10 10 vs A2. all in pre. and in previous game there was 2 limpers - and i reraise to 4 times the blind with jj guy goes all in and i fold. he had kk (well thats what he claimed and he seemed genuine).

im ready to get my coat
  • edited March 2013
    i won an all in :)

AJ vs QJ and i won!!!
  • edited March 2013
    scrap that aq vs a10 all in preflop. hits 2 10s
  • edited March 2013
    all new low:

AA vs 88
  • edited March 2013
    so summary of the day played 15 games and won 6.

of the 9 i lost here are some of the ways i went out:

AK vs KQ
    AQ vs 77
    10 10 vs A2
    AQ vs A10
    AA vs 88

Was nearly a complete disaster of a day but managed to win my last 5 in a row to salvage something.

Of the the 6 i won i never sucked out on any all in situation or in any of the games for that matter and lost all the marginal all ins in the remainder i.e. j10 vs A7, k5 vs 22 (admittedly was very low in this one). other two were 99 running into jj and 55 running into 10 10.

maybe my luck will change tomorrow and I can keep my winning run going.......
  • edited March 2013
    Ok in the quest to find out if im really being unlucky or it's just the odds evening out across the games i decided to study my hand histories from yesterday. Thought i'd share for anyone who likes numbers and stats like i do.

I checked the hands that saw an all in situation and a showdown.

In the 15 games I played i had 17 all ins with a call from an opponent(s) and the hands were as follows:

Me              Opponent         Flop       My % to win hand    Won/Lost hnd     Won/lost game                    AA               88                                   79%                      W                       W
    KK               25s                                  80%                      W                       W
    KK               AJ                                    71%                      W                       W
    QQ              A7                                    71%                      W                       W
    KQ              97s                                   60%                      W                      W
    AK               A4                                    71%                      W                      W
    99               A6                    9A2           95%                      W                      W
    AA               88                                    80%                       L                      L
    AQ               A10                                  70%                       L                      L
    AJ                QJ                                    72%                      W                      W
    99                JJ                                     19%                      L                       L
    10 10           A2                                    71%                       L                       L
    J10              A7s                                   43%                      L                        L
    K5               22             AJ                     30%                      L                        L
    55               10 10                                 19%                      L                       L
    AQ               77                                     45%                      L                       L
    AK               A10                                    71%                      L                       L

*if no flop given that means the money went in preflop. Percentages checked using poker odds calculator app.

The average of these percentages is 70% and i won 47% (8/17). in theory i should won 12 (70%*17) whereas I won 8. Assuming i went on to cash (I know not a given) in 4 more tourneys that the odds suggest i should have that would have meant I cashed for £100 instead I only cashed for £60. so instead of a small profit of £7.5 I made a loss of £33.50 for the session.

I really need to get out more.........lol
  • edited March 2013
    and on and on and on and on:

2 tables:

AK vs 10 10
    and

AJ vs A6 (hit flush)
  • edited March 2013
    If anything, I'd say the stats above prove it's not as bad as it seems.

Being a 70% favourite means that you lose 30% of the time, losing virtually 1in3 is pretty common as things go.

Most of the ones where you were crushing, you did win, and most of the ones you lost you were flipping or in the 55 v TT example crushed, seems perfectly standard
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: sky poker hates me suddenly!!!:
    If anything, I'd say the stats above prove it's not as bad as it seems. Being a 70% favourite means that you lose 30% of the time, losing virtually 1in3 is pretty common as things go. Most of the ones where you were crushing, you did win, and most of the ones you lost you were flipping or in the 55 v TT example crushed, seems perfectly standard
    Posted by Lambert180
    yes i agree i should lose one in 3. so out of the 15 games i played i should have won 10.5 games. I won 6.

Most of the ones i lost i was not flipping. out of the 9 i lost i was 70%+ favourite in 4 of them, virtually flipping in two, equal 30% favourite in another and crushed in the other two.

I can accept this happening for one day but its been about a week of this for me (sharkscope highlights it).
  • edited March 2013
    FWIW, by my workings, the average equity of them 17 hands is 61% so to win 47% of them is really not that far off correct.

The chance of heads or tails on a coin is 50/50, so in theory flip it 10 times and you'll get 5 of each.

However, the odds of doing 10 flips and getting 7 or more heads are only 1in8 ish.

So if we did 10 flips, loads and loads of times like we play loads and loads of poker hands, it's gonna happen sometimes, and the more you play, the more often it'll happen.
  • edited March 2013
    FWIW, by my workings, the average equity of them 17 hands is 61% so to win 47% of them is really not that far off correct. The chance of heads or tails on a coin is 50/50, so in theory flip it 10 times and you'll get 5 of each. However, the odds of doing 10 flips and getting 7 or more heads are only 1in8 ish. So if we did 10 flips, loads and loads of times like we play loads and loads of poker hands, it's gonna happen sometimes, and the more you play, the more often it'll happen.
    Posted by Lambert180
    lol your right it is 61% dont know how i got 70%. wait i do i divided the percentages by 15 (15 games in my mind). cheers

so yeah by pure percentages i should have won 9 games in theory. so yes not quite as bad as i thought. i would argue though that 47% vs 61% is not that far off - its 22%. or a +10% roi vs -14.5% roi. putting that in terms of my game -im taking my bad run starting about 140 games ago. The difference here then would be profit of £75 vs a loss £106. thats a £181 swing. now i havent looked at the hands from those 140 games so cant claim anything about hand percentages but i imagine it wouldnt too far off.

As i said though i can easily accept bad runs over a short period of time but its getting close to about 2 weeks of this and it's beginning to really annoy me now. but i'll keep plugging away.
  • edited March 2013
    yes i agree i should lose one in 3. so out of the 15 games i played i should have won 10.5 games.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    You are using a 15 game sample size and think you know what varience is. Your sample size should be 10,000 games minimum.
  • edited March 2013
    bearlyther I know it's a ridiculously low sample size but it took me long enough to analyse 15 games 10,000 would be a bit of a push lol I have said a few times i can accept this sort of things over a short period because i understand how these things can swing.

I analysed yesterdays games because it felt typical of my recent run and i wanted to see how lucky or unlukcy i was vs my perceptions. After i had analysed it i thought i'd share the results because i thought it might interest some.
  • edited March 2013

Keep your p ecker up, it will even out eventually.

I had a similar run a couple of weeks ago, where no matter how big a 'fav' i was , i could pretty much cringe at what was coming on the turn or river. (confidence shot to pieces lol)

At least you can laugh about it which is a good sign...

• edited March 2013
    played 3 so far 2nite.

completely card dead in one and tried to steal a blinds with a shove. bb had kq and took down my 43.
    2nd game didnt need to go all in and cashed. 3rd game KK vs A10...... not saying anything.
  • edited March 2013

ok....deep breath.....so to follow on from yesterday i thought i'd post yesterdays showdown all in results.

Me    Opponent      Board        My % to win hand   won/lost hand   Pot       Exp. Pot
    KQs     J8s            3spades     100%                   W                    2465    2465
    AA       J9s                             79%                     W                    3650    2884
    KK       A10                            71%                     L                     2805    1992
    A9       K9s                            68%                     W                    1572    1069
    AQs     J9                              66%                     W                    4750    3135
    AQ      K8                              65%                     L                     2685    1745
    AJ       A6s                            65%                      L                     2640    1716
    KJ       K10s                          65%                      W                    3807    2475
    99      Q9s                            63%                      L                     4200    2646
    AK      75s                            59%                      W                    1390    820
    66      K10                            52%                      L                     2900    1508
    AK      10 10                         43%                      L                     3380    1453
    43      KQ                             35%                      L                     1440    504
    AQ      KK                             28%                      W                    3310    927
    44      JJ                              19%                      L                      4375    831
                                                                                                             26,169

So analysing the data. my average win percentage is 63% and i won 47% of the hands (7 out of 15). I won 20,944 from the hands won and my expected pot wins was 26,169 (fall of 20%).

If you exclude the top 2 and bottom 2 results, in case they skew the data, my win percentage would become 59% and i won 36% of hands. I won 11k in pots and my expected pot wins would have been 19k

From 11 games i won 5 therefore I cashed 45%. Using my showdown percentage I should have cashed in 7. Differene in profit is a loss of £10.5 vs a profit of £9.5. £20 swing.

So another day goes by without things going my way but I didnt feel quite as hard done by as the previous day and i did get some hope from actually outdrawing someone (AQ vs KK). it was more a case of losing the 60%'ers and both coin flips that have hurt me from yeserday.

Dont worry this is the last one I'll post of these lol I'm retiring as a statistician.....it takes too long.

• edited March 2013
    What games are you playing btw, cos you seem to keep referring to cashing (or not) being a result of these hands so I assume it's DYMs.

If it is DYMs then it might be worth considering whether you actually NEED to take these races on the bubble of a DYM
  • edited March 2013
    What games are you playing btw, cos you seem to keep referring to cashing (or not) being a result of these hands so I assume it's DYMs. If it is DYMs then it might be worth considering whether you actually NEED to take these races on the bubble of a DYM
    Posted by Lambert180
    yeah they're all dyms. I know i refer to these hands as making or breaking in terms of cashing and i know that is far from a given but there's a very strong link as the previous day results show.

regarding whether i need to go with these hands or not, apart from the AK vs 10 10 I cant think of any of the others i wouldnt make the same move with. Of the ones i lost:

KK vs A10 - im virtually always happy going in with kk

AQ vs k8 - perhaps avoidable. 6 players left my stack was around 1200 with blinds at 200 and about to go up. Guy who has been away has just came back with a similar stack to myself and shoved - i put him on a lower ace. I was in sb with a solid player behind me who i was confident wouldnt call unless with AA or KK etc.  i felt the call and win, should it come, would put me in quite a strong spot to get itm due to a number of stacks being around the 1k - 1.5k level.

99 vs q9. Last 4 of dym with 600 blinds and myself and villain both have similar 2k stacks (low stacks at table). Couldnt put him on anything too serious and probably just stealing. i felt the chance of him having two over cards wasnt high. was more than pleased to get my money in with 1 over 1 under. the fact 1 of his cards was dead made it even better for me.

66 vs K10 - trying to steal and hoping everyone folds but again was in the later stages of dym with high blinds and an all-in or fold situation going on for all players. this one could have been avoided possibly.

AK vs 10 10. DB raised 3 x bb (450) and i was in sb with about 1600. perhaps could have just called but felt he was more likely stealing or had a weaker ace. if he was holding a low pair he might have even fold himself to my reraise.

43 vs kq. low stacked and was an any two shove.

44 vs jj. I hate going with low pair but was low stack at the table and needed to steal.

Apart from 5 of the 15 im 60% fav - which is the perfect spot to get your money in on a dym. Of the 5 im behind, two were coin flips (one being with ak), one was an any 2 shove, 1 was with AQ which is a lovely hand to see in the late stages of a dym and the last one i felt was a necessary steal attempt.

Ps dont want to say this too loudly but just won my two customary lunch time games and my big hands all held up :)
  • edited March 2013
    Ok to finally put to bed my little sob story.

I had a decent night tonight winning 8 out of 10. Had one go for me and one against me. Kq vs kk and I won hitting a straight and then in one of the games I lost I had 77 vs 72 with him hitting the straight and saw me finish in 5th.

i bubbled the other game I lost. I had a7 which hit two pair on the flop and in trying to double up I gambled and played it slow and unfortunately the other guy hit a flush on the turn and a straight flush on the river. I think if I'd have shoved/raised the flop he would have called anyway as he had a big stack.
  • edited March 2013
    you think your running bad my friend I must be setting records atm. last 8 times with either aa or kk I have lost .last 6 flopped sets lost them all to flushes. past three flushes opponent rivered f/h and even 2 f/h s beaten by better f/hs . oh and did I mention nine yes nine times I have got it on on flop with top top opponent has been on a draw and hit including the mini just now .
    bad luck must be my middle name when will it end