You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

When is it ok to take shots?

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Is it ever ok to take a shot at a bigger game? I know with regards to bankroll etc it isn't always a smart move but what do people think?

Comments

• edited March 2013
    It's fine to take a shot when you can set aside X amount of £££/BIs and be content if you lose it.

So if you have £300 and normally play 10NL, you can give yourself a go at 20NL and just say to yourself, I'm allowed myself 3 BIs, if I lose, I lose.

Just make sure the amount you're taking a shot with is an amount that if you lose it, it aint gonna upset you too much or stop you being able to go back to your old game of choice.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: When is it ok to take shots?:
    It's fine to take a shot when you can set aside X amount of £££/BIs and be content if you lose it. So if you have £300 and normally play 10NL, you can give yourself a go at 20NL and just say to yourself, I'm allowed myself 3 BIs, if I lose, I lose. Just make sure the amount you're taking a shot with is an amount that if you lose it, it aint gonna upset you too much or stop you being able to go back to your old game of choice.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yeah I get ya! I took my roll that I'd grinded from 2p-4p to 1-1 and took a shot that went horribly wrong.....
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: When is it ok to take shots?:
    In Response to Re: When is it ok to take shots? : Yeah I get ya! I took my roll that I'd grinded from 2p-4p to 1-1 and took a shot that went horribly wrong.....
    Posted by Donohuge

Ahem, thats quite a step up there fella!!! ( i`m presuming you mean £1/£1 action aka NL100?? )

I think Lambert meant take a shot at the next level which in your case would have been NL 8 or maybe 10.

If you can afford to lose it then no problem, maybe move up more gradually next time.

GL
  • edited March 2013
    Yeah 100nl. I watch the 100nl tables to try and help with my learning and I saw a super fish and thought I'd buy in. Got it in good and lost a big portion of my roll.....