You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Fold trips, correct fold?

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I don't normally fold with these cards on this board. Opponent from what I can see if quite a steady decent player and had been pretty quiet up until this point. The massive over bet on the river, my gut instinct was to fold, there is just so much that is beating me. Interesting hand, i'm quite happy with the fold, just wondering what others think?
GhostFire Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.63
ArfurDaley Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.44
  Your hole cards
  • Q

ted1917 Fold     
garner909 Fold     
scottsman1 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £4.76
LARSON7 Call  £0.04 £0.14 £6.64
GhostFire Call  £0.02 £0.16 £4.61
ArfurDaley Check     
Flop

• Q
  • K

GhostFire Check     
ArfurDaley Check     
scottsman1 Bet  £0.04 £0.20 £4.72
LARSON7 Call  £0.04 £0.24 £6.60
GhostFire Fold     
ArfurDaley Call  £0.04 £0.28 £4.40
Turn

• Q

ArfurDaley Check     
scottsman1 Check     
LARSON7 Bet  £0.21 £0.49 £6.39
ArfurDaley Call  £0.21 £0.70 £4.19
scottsman1 Call  £0.21 £0.91 £4.51
River

ArfurDaley All-in  £4.19 £5.10 £0.00
scottsman1 Fold     
LARSON7 Fold     
ArfurDaley Muck     
ArfurDaley Win  £0.84  £0.84
ArfurDaley Return  £4.19

Comments

• edited March 2013
    I play the same stakes as you and don't see how this is ever a fold. I think limping PF is a terrible idea, especially at micro stakes where people will play any two cards. I would consider tightening up you range and tossing hands like this when there are so many callers PF.

Although I said this is never a fold, players at the micros aren't good enough to bluff shove all in or even shove with marginal hands so maybe it was a good fold? Next time just toss this hand PF
  • edited March 2013
    interesting spot. I personally fold pre, if you have a plan then fair enough. The river is such a weird sizing 4x pot is nearly always the nuts. good fold imo 
  • edited March 2013
    q9 is simply a fold p/f
    don't ever play this rubbish...ever
    u have wasted 29p and u have trip q's and folded them
    yes it looks like a good fold though. wp
    :)
    dev
  • edited March 2013

What was your reason for limping behind on the button with Q9? You should have some reason for doing this, so tell us what it is. Also tell us which other hands you would be limping in this situation and how you intend to make that a profitable proposition in the long-term.

You might guess that I'm not a fan of this limp. However, I'm equally not a fan of those people saying you should just fold this situation.

Raise this hand. You've seen a limper, who will very likely have a weak range, you have position and you have a playable hand. Raise it up, charge them limpers tax, c-bet the flop if they call and you'll take down the pot most of the time. This approach will win you lots of small pots and will have the added benefit of disguising your big hands. You'll also gain a genuine understanding of position.

The best thing about playing low stakes is that your limp-calling opponents will almost always play fit or fold on the flop. Charging limpers tax and 3-betting to c-bet are more effective at this level than any other.

On the flop and turn I think you played the hand fine. Facing the river shove, just decide how much value seeing his hand has to you. If you think you can be winning 30% of the time, then maybe the value of knowing what his river shoving range is could make up the difference. If you never see this guy again, then that information obviously doesn't have much value. 

Whether the call is profitable is read dependent and you obviously don't have reads. It could be the nuts, it could be nothing. In a vacuum I agree with the others that it's more likely to be the nuts.

• edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Fold trips, correct fold?:
    interesting spot. I personally fold pre, if you have a plan then fair enough. The river is such a weird sizing 4x pot is nearly always the nuts. good fold imo 
    Posted by The_Don90

from your posts, at Nl4 you'd fold all 100% of hands preflop right?
  • edited March 2013

Hey larson, just to reiterate what others have said this is the kind of situation on the button where we can be aggressive get HU and outplay our opponent postflop in position. The problem with playing the hand the way you do is you never where you are in the hand, if you raise a decent amount pre, you can take the lead and dictate how the hand plays out, then by cbetting quite big you know you can narrow his range down a fair bit so that when you continue the agression on the turn and he calls or raises you build a better picture of what kind of hands he could be holding. Then if the hand is played this way with you showing alot of agression and he still leads out with the jam on the river you are alot more sure that he has a monster and can make the good fold pretty sure that he has you crushed.

• edited March 2013
    firstly if u play from button raise or fold,u played so your looking to hit q,u hit a queen,2nd pair,a good option on flop would  be bet raise 12p,if u got any resistance,u know someone has probably ahead of u.turn is a good bet u get two calls,thats good add to pot.8 on river is a brick,what do u think u are behind to,pair of kings is the only thing, and he would have raise pre flop with that.88 and 44 are the only hands that beat u,imagine if u had them in his position,u would bet pot or just below 4 value.it was all in to buy the pot,so to me its a bad fold.
  • edited March 2013
    firstly if u play from button raise or fold,u played so your looking to hit q,u hit a queen,2nd pair,a good option on flop would  be bet raise 12p,if u got any resistance,u know someone has probably ahead of u.turn is a good bet u get two calls,thats good add to pot.8 on river is a brick,what do u think u are behind to,pair of kings is the only thing, and he would have raise pre flop with that.88 and 44 are the only hands that beat u,imagine if u had them in his position,u would bet pot or just below 4 value.it was all in to buy the pot,so to me its a bad fold.
    Posted by ZIPPY146
    Those of us saying that this shove is more likely to be the nuts than nothing are saying so based on our experiences. Particularly at the micro stakes, a big river overshove usually means a big hand. I agree that it doesn't make sense to play a big hand this way.

There is no reason to raise the flop, though. We probably can't be called by worse and probably can't force our opponent to fold better. By raising we might find out whether we have the best hand or not but that information has a negative value to us.

This is a thread from a couple of weeks ago:

Raising for Information
  • edited March 2013
    why limp Q9o? Who cares about the river when preflop is the mistake?
  • edited March 2013

I agree! I should have raised from the button, Q 9 is fine to do this with. Tho out of position it is pretty poor..

On the flop, i'm not in love with my hand, but i'm certainly calling 4p.

On the turn, i thought I probably had the best hand so bet out when it's checked round to me, I wasn't expecting 2 callers, i would say atleast 1 player is sitting with K x.

On the river when opponent goes all in, i folded pretty quick.

The reason I folded is what am i beating? It looks like a bizarre line shoving 4 x the pot.

I have seen this player playing quite a lot at this level, multi-tabling, he seems to be quite a steady profitable player, and i have never seen him making a move like this. Tho, his line is really bizarre in the hand, I think he was slow playing something, or hut his full house on the river. I wouldn't expect this move from this player without the nuts, or close to it. He is shoving with 2 players to act behind there is no way i can call here. Even q 10 is beating me, i could be wrong but i'm pretty confident he was sitting with a full house.

• edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Fold trips, correct fold? : from your posts, at Nl4 you'd fold all 100% of hands preflop right?
    Posted by beaneh
    meh, i play aces. planning to move up to nl50 soon ;)

personally in ths spot we have a limper i just dont see raising being profitable at nl4 over a limper with Q9o. even with pos.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Fold trips, correct fold? : meh, i play aces. planning to move up to nl50 soon ;) personally in ths spot we have a limper i just dont see raising being profitable at nl4 over a limper with Q9o. even with pos.
    Posted by The_Don90

then you have utterly lost your mind. learn to play poker rather than just trying to copy the idiot nits and fold pre all day long.

I'd be more than happy to iso with >30% of hands. at nl4 its probably more like 40-60% depending on the limper.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Fold trips, correct fold? : then you have utterly lost your mind. learn to play poker rather than just trying to copy the idiot nits and fold pre all day long. I'd be more than happy to iso with />30% of hands. at nl4 its probably more like 40-60% depending on the limper.
    Posted by beaneh
    +1

Though I might have tried to be more diplomatic. lol
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Fold trips, correct fold? : +1 Though I might have tried to be more diplomatic. lol
    Posted by BorinLoner

I am yet to take a diplomacy course, though you might be suprised to know I love the game 'Diplomacy' :-0
  • edited March 2013
    That aces comment was meant in lol fassion. Sigh
  • edited March 2013
    That aces comment was meant in lol fassion. Sigh
    Posted by The_Don90
    I took it as that, my post was in response to Q9o not being strong enough to isolate a limper when you are on the button.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Fold trips, correct fold? : I took it as that, my post was in response to Q9o not being strong enough to isolate a limper when you are on the button.
    Posted by beaneh
    I would normally agree with you m8. I know we havent always seen eye to eye on desisions but i have nothing but respect. 

However at NL4 i just dont think we get enough folds post flop on random annoying boards to justify it. Q9s i probably raise fwiw.